Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2018, 05:30   #1

Clogged pee hole

Hi, Have a year 2000 6 HP Yamaha, water comes out of the pee hole for about 1 min okay then just starts to drip out. I stick a piece of one of those plassic ties, the pointy end into the pee hole, the water shoots out fast again, but then goes to a spray about 20 sec later, then back to a drip, im wondering if there is sand stuck up in there, ill try some long wire next time, but if that does not work what is the next option? Is there something I can buy to add to the fresh water tank to clean out possible sand while flushing?
gulfbreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 06:02   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Clogged pee hole

Something is stuck, not knowing what it is makes it not possible to say a cleaner may or may not help.
I’d go for a thick piece of mono filament fishing line as opposed to a wire though.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 06:06   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

Mud daubers love to nest in them here on the east coast of the USA.

Keep poking at it. It might just be accumulated crud that finally breaks up and stops clogging . I use a piece of stainless seizing wire. I can bend it in different shapes and probe around...there's nothing you can hurt in there.

If it persists, you can drop the lower unit and flush out the head. Not all that difficult. Will give you and opportunity to check/change your pump impeller too, which is always a good idea.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 06:15   #4

A short length of bicycle brake cable works well in getting around bends. Put it in a cordless drill and you can do even better at clearing off surface crud.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 06:51   #5

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Don't remember how that outboard is laid out but on may small outboards there is a length of hose from the block/head to the cowling water outlet. If so you can try taking off the hose blow it out and try to clean the exit from the block. I would also get a bucket and try to catch some of the water coming out see if you are indeed getting sand or something else. As some one else mentioned you can drop the lower unit and and clean out from the water pump up. Really depends on what you find.
Old 14-06-2018, 06:57   #6

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

If pushing stuff up there fails to get the crud out, then the next step is compressed air. Take the impeller out and blow compressed air backwards through the passage (be gentle at first). This usually will blow the debris out the impeller housing.

Willing to bet you will find broken vanes on the impeller as well, which might be whats blocking your port.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 07:50   #7

Okay, I will try first the most simple possible solution. Dont really feel like taken things apart at this time if I can help it,

by the way, the water that does come out of the pee hole is hot to touch
Old 14-06-2018, 08:13   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin A View Post
Don't remember how that outboard is laid out but on may small outboards there is a length of hose from the block/head to the cowling water outlet. If so you can try taking off the hose blow it out and try to clean the exit from the block. I would also get a bucket and try to catch some of the water coming out see if you are indeed getting sand or something else. As some one else mentioned you can drop the lower unit and and clean out from the water pump up. Really depends on what you find.

I looked for that tube, its not there, seems to be built in
Old 14-06-2018, 09:28   #9

also, if no water is coming out of the pee hole, where does the water go?
Old 14-06-2018, 09:40   #10

Boat: Catalina 42

Out the exhaust. The pee hole is just an indicator.
Empty Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 09:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
Out the exhaust. The pee hole is just an indicator.
It SHOULD be going out the exhaust. If the pump is working properly. The pee hole is to confirm that the pump is truly pumping, nice to be able to check with a glance while running. Sounds like yours is pumping. Otherwise no warning if an overheat is happening. Not sure how often impellors need to be replaced but if you dont know the motors history then I'd do it for peace of mind. Fiddly but a DIY job, parts are cheap enough. Just gone through this on a 7.5 Merc, my first go at such things. Generic parts are a lot cheaper than dealer bits!!
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 10:02   #12

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

On a small outboard there typically isn't anything to tell you its over heating other then poor running and then a stop. That's the main reason the tell tale is there. I have never overheated a 4-stroke outboard but I have done it too some 2 strokes in my youth and luckily they all restarted after cooling down.

When I worked for insurance company they actually spent a bunch of money on different failures of impellers basically after looking at date codes different materials (some are better) they came to the conclusion that there wasn't a way to guarantee they would last much more then 2 years reliably (many last way longer) so I generally recommend every 2 years change them.

Also on another note they found obstructions in cooling passages not only caused hot spots in the engine but reduced the life span of the impeller.
Old 14-06-2018, 10:19   #13

This link has alot of info that will help you.

Yamaha 8 HP Outboard Thermostat :: S/V Rainshadow
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 10:36   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSMFP View Post
This link has alot of info that will help you.

Yamaha 8 HP Outboard Thermostat :: S/V Rainshadow

I heard about people taking the plate off and cleaning inside, is it as easy as just taking that plate off, cleaning inside then putting the plate back on?
Old 14-06-2018, 10:48   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfbreez View Post
I heard about people taking the plate off and cleaning inside, is it as easy as just taking that plate off, cleaning inside then putting the plate back on?
Yes, but I'd have a spare gasket on hand in case the current one tears which can happen sometimes. Use vinegar like described in that link. The water pump on that engine is also very easy to service. The shift linkage unbolts near the forward part of the midsection. Youtube has a few videos. Easy DIY.

You can find the gasket and water pump kit on boats.net which gives a good parts diagram of the engine.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote