Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 20:40   #1
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Cleaning fuel tank

I most likely have dirty fuel, which undoubtedly came from the tank and not the fuel.

The tank is easily accessible and easily removed. I and a few friends should be able to deal with this. I have containers to pump the old fuel into, a containment system to keep any spills from polluting, and a place to dispose of the dirty fuel.

I overheard a conversation about building a pump to pump the fuel out using part from an auto supply store. Can anyone explain this to me, what I would need to get and how it would be hooked up? I can't see spending hundreds of dollars to have something done I can do myself. If my tank were inaccessible that would be different, but it's not.

Please (don't mean to be rude) -- no speculation about "It might be this" or "might be that." What I really need to know is how to put an external fuel pump together so I can empty the tank and solve this problem.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 20:46   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Re: Cleaning fuel tank

Get an oil change pump (vacuum canister type)...it will be a little time consuming but is easily controllable and you can use the pump for oil changes. Buy the tall plastic one with the T Handle.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 21:00   #3

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Cleaning fuel tank

Ive always used a Jabsco 12 volt pump, the upright type, hose on both sides hookup and pump to small containers for disposal or cleaning. Remove the tank if ya can and clean as needed ! easy!! remember to put in a lower outlet with a GOOD valve so ya can drain any new water that will accumalate. makes it much better !! also install a clean out hatch if ya dont have one ! I sapose you could use a 12 volt auto store fuel pump, but the jabsco is rebildable and the auto store type are not I believe! just my 2 cents

Tags
cleaning, fuel, fuel tank