Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2022, 06:17   #1

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Cleaning carbon deposits off diesel head/valves

I have pulled the head off my Ford Lehman 90HP. Ultimate reason was that I am trying to fit a 120gal tank and engine is partially in the way. So with head and other peripherals off, I have a good chance of fitting a tank into its original position where black iron tank used to be(I cut the tank into pieces and puled them out last year w/o touching the diesel). So i figured time was up to send Injection pump for a rebuild, send starter/alternator for service, replace hoses, and clean/re-paint the engine.

What is the most effective DIY technique for cleaning carbon deposits.
1. I was told i can wire brush head surfaces as it wont damage it.
2. Hone cylinder walls.

3. What about valves? is it Ok to clean them with steelwool and what cleaner works best?
4. Should i lap the valves? In the past I have rebuilt atomic 4 and westerbeake 40(4-108) and I lapped valves both times.

5. Any other advice on what i should do with head off?

thanks.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 18:05   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: Cleaning carbon deposits off diesel head/valves

I've found it easy enough to clean off carbon with a wire brush in a drill or on a grinder but dont know about any cleaning agent.
Same with valves, wire brush.
I'd check the valve sealing surfaces, if they are mirror like they are ok. If not lap them.
If you have a manual that gives you dimensions for valve spring lengths & bend also valve stem wear you could check those too if the motor is high hours but you didnt state what the hours are.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, diesel, head