Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2012, 05:25   #1

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"
Clean out my Tank

I have a single 300 litre Diesel tank with very little access. I did find a service hatch under some carpet . Today I bought a small fuel pump and a good diesel filter. My plan is to find out how deep my tank is and get a 10mm copper pipe which I hook up to the pump and filter with a return hose to the tank.
So I can suck diesel out of the bottom of my tank and can see what I find in the filter which should be a good indicator on the conditions of my diesel and my tank. If it all looks good I could do this maybe every 12 month to make sure nothing is settling at the bottom of my tank.
I thought this is a good plan, just wondering if I overlooked something??
Cheers
Reiner
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 06:41   #2

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Re: Clean out my Tank

Just curious what caused you to do this... Have you been fouling filters?

Your method will work to some degree, but if the tank has set for any length of time, the debris inside would have settled. It is not the same as have the tank strirred up from the motion of the vessel when it moves, pitches and yawls, causing the debris to float in the fuel.

The port you are describing is probably an inspection port, the best way to use that is drain the tank into a separate clean container and shine a flashlight inside. I know it is a pain, but try looking at as much of the tank as you can. If you see rust or debris, it is time to clean tank.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 06:51   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiner View Post
I have a single 300 litre Diesel tank with very little access. I did find a service hatch under some carpet . Today I bought a small fuel pump and a good diesel filter. My plan is to find out how deep my tank is and get a 10mm copper pipe which I hook up to the pump and filter with a return hose to the tank.
So I can suck diesel out of the bottom of my tank and can see what I find in the filter which should be a good indicator on the conditions of my diesel and my tank. If it all looks good I could do this maybe every 12 month to make sure nothing is settling at the bottom of my tank.
I thought this is a good plan, just wondering if I overlooked something??
Cheers
Reiner
An inspection camera could also help you visually inspect the inside of your tank:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: TOOLS OF A SAILOR: INSPECTION CAMERA
Old 29-05-2012, 06:53   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
Just curious what caused you to do this... Have you been fouling filters?

Your method will work to some degree, but if the tank has set for any length of time, the debris inside would have settled. It is not the same as have the tank strirred up from the motion of the vessel when it moves, pitches and yawls, causing the debris to float in the fuel.

The port you are describing is probably an inspection port, the best way to use that is drain the tank into a separate clean container and shine a flashlight inside. I know it is a pain, but try looking at as much of the tank as you can. If you see rust or debris, it is time to clean tank.
Thanks Tom, the boat was build in 1989 and hat two owners before me. We just bought it a day before Christmas so I have no idea what the condition of the diesel or the tank is. It was full to the top and the previous owner always kept it full. The inspection port is very hard to access that is why I thought if I suck up Diesel from the very bottom of the tank it will tell me if it is clean or not.
Old 29-05-2012, 06:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
An inspection camera could also help you visually inspect the inside of your tank:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: TOOLS OF A SAILOR: INSPECTION CAMERA
Why didn't I think of that, Thanks Mate. I bought one on ebay ages ago and it plugs in my laptop. I will do that on the weekend.