Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2021, 11:35   #16

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft
Re: choosing a new engine

Looks like gthere are a lot of Beta fans on here so I dont really need to add my voice to them - but I will anyway. I re-engined with a Beta 35 about 5 years ago - previous engine was a low revving Volvo MD17D 36hp from 1981. The reverse rotation caught me out though - had to relearn using the prop kick in the opposite direction! Now kicks to port in reverse. I ended up with new engine, transmission, shaft, propellor, wiring harness, alternator... Runs like a dream though. Iprefer the slower revving engines - so chose the 35, not the higher revving 38 which is the same engine but higher rated. I do sometimes wonder if I should have forked out the extra for the next one up the Beta 43 hp but so far havent had any call for that much power. Its a bit marginal though - probably same for your boat. Taken the whole cost differential overall, wouldnt have made that much difference but I always believe that diesels prefer to be worked harder so chose the smaller engine & saved a couple of thousand.
Old 23-01-2021, 12:21   #17

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I have a Beta 50 bought new that we are not going to install. If your interested in it let me know it is sitting in the shipping crate. I can ship the engine or deliver it within a day's drive.

I am going to sell the boat, Downeaster 38, with a good running Isuzu 3AB engine in it. Open to all offers.

My wife got CA and we are changing plans, just keeping the Pearson 30 for now.
Old 23-01-2021, 13:40   #18

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

There are other recent threads about choosing a new engine, so I recommend that all concerned look at them. They are quite lengthy and informative.

All of the modern engines are very reliable, efficient, and clean-burning so that is not the basis for differentiation. Certainly the footprint and ease of installation is a concern. Also consider some of the features. The Volvo comes with a serpentine belt and 115A alternator (with remote sense) standard, and similar capabilities can (and should) be ordered as options on the Beta. IIRC that is not the case with Yanmar. Personally I like that Beta allows for a lot of customization, including a choice of instrument panels, although that will change the cost comparison. I also like that maintenance-related gear is on the front of the engine. The only downside is a lack of an international dealer network, which both Volvo and Yanmar have. When I needed parts for my old engine I found that bringing them in from the factory in some foreign countries was expensive, time-consuming, and basically a headache. While Volvo and Yanmar parts may be more expensive (I'm talking about the marine parts, not the block) they are readily available in most of the world. If cruising in North America or Europe I would specify a Beta with upgrades, no question about it. For world cruising I chose the Volvo D2-40.

@Cottonsail: You can download the installation manual for the Volvo engine series from the wiki library, which you may find useful. It should be an owner-available document but isn't.

@Dsanduril: I am interested in knowing any options for replacing the MDI if you have any knowledge there.

Greg
Old 23-01-2021, 15:58   #19

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

I never saw or found an installation manual until the Volvo Penta tech showed up for inspection and sea trials.
Old 23-01-2021, 18:24   #20

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonsail View Post
I never saw or found an installation manual until the Volvo Penta tech showed up for inspection and sea trials.
Yep - pretty annoying. I don't know how you could pass warranty exam without it.

I just realized that I hadn't uploaded it to the wiki, or more likely it wasn't accepted. I'll work on it. If you need/want a copy PM me.

Greg
Closed Thread

Tags
engine