Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2018, 10:55   #31

Re: Chinese engines ? Good or bad

I always try to find the manufacturer of any tool, machine, appliance, etc. and if it's "made in China" I try to find a similar product made elsewhere, for the same price......hahaha!

But this thread and others that are basically trashing products "made in China".

There are millions of people in North America and Europe that will tell you anything "made in China" is a piece of crap!

Which brings me to ask; Walmart is full of Chinese made products, dollar stores are popping up everywhere, North American companies are still outsourcing manufacturing to China - the car companies for one.

Companies that attempt to sell "NOT made in China" products, are starving for business because they can not match the price.

We bitch & complain about the quality of Chinese products, but we still shop at Walmart & dollar stores because of the price.

Sears just shut down all their stores here in Canada WHY?, because they couldn't compete with Walmart, Giant Tiger, Marshals and many more.

The only way to turn this around is by doing what Trump is hoping to do. and that will not work!

His slogan "Make America Great Again" will only happen when all the cheaply made stuff from China returns to be "Made in America".

Couldn't one just imagine a company making items that sell for a dollar, now that'll make you a milionaire.
1000 islands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 11:18   #32

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I'm not bagging all things Chinese.... I think it is just a matter of being careful...

Reputable brand made in China... i.e Bosch .. =OK

Thing that looks like a Bosch product but is some dodgy brand = Not OK

Honda made in China = OK

Gen set that is identical in almost all respects to the Honda but different brand = Not OK

An interesting electronic case in recent years has been the GoPro..... SJCam make an equivalent item for a quarter of the price..... and its a good product.

Then the market is flooded with knock offs of the SJcam ( even marked SJCam ) for a quarter of the SJCam price.... and they really are rubbish....
Old 24-01-2018, 11:20   #33
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I think we all know "Made in China" doesn't automatically mean "crap". But it does remain one of the largest nations where turning a blind eye and quality control issues are culturally accepted. Yes, there are counterfeits and mobs all over the world. But really, have you ever found a street peddler selling fake Rolexes in Switzerland? Or heard Disney complaining about *permanent* street markets selling $1 DVDs of their new movies, year after year? In any country but China?

Just as Cholera is a problem in Yemen but not in Sweden...quality control always is questionable when someone says "China". Check out bigclivedotcom on Youtube for dozens of tear-downs of literally lethal cheap electronics. From China.

It goes back to thousands of years of China being the "middle kingdom" closest to heaven, and the rest of the world being barbarians that officially were animals, to be treated as such. It takes time to change that kind of cultural perception. And being "lawsuit-proof" half a globe away doesn't encourage good business practices, either. Especially when we are such suckers for "Cheap!"
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 13:25   #34

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

Harbor Freight Tools sell you tons of cheap China made products which are really cheap and just junk.
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 15:54   #35
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Harbor Freight sells pretty decent tools, better than K-mart Craftsman tools. And the price is very good. I wouldn't bring any tools nicer than those on a boat. They get the job done and are not a hardship if they get lost overboard or rusted. The Pittsburgh line is every bit as good as US brands like Husky and a step or two ahead of Craftsman since K-mart bought Sears.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 16:19   #36

Personally I do not buy 'Made in China' when I have an alternative. I don't want my money to support the Chinese regime! BTW, Chinese computers, printers, cell phones etc. might send your data to China without you knowing about that,
B_Hunter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 13:42   #37

Boat: halmatic ? 37 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
While there are good Chinese products out there and I think market pressure will force the Chinese to improve their QC in general...I can assure those days are not long gone. Here in Central America we get plenty of Chinese junk (and stuff from other makets that wasnt up to QC standards, so they sent it here!).
As a mechanic i see lots of engines made in china such as rubbish bmw car engines and china german engines from opel all are rubbis compared to made in germany engines .all the china made motorcycles are poor compared to what they cloned from . parsons outboards ????i would not trust my life i would rather a 10 year old brand name than a new parsons .
soloauditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 13:49   #38

Boat: Tartan 37

Parts and service is the big problem for Chinese products.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 09:14   #39

Boat: FP "Maldives" 32

I also bought the 4hp Ancheer. 2 stroke. Very light and had no problems with it over last year. Great little motor
Miki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 09:27   #40

Boat: 1978 cal 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miki View Post
I also bought the 4hp Ancheer. 2 stroke. Very light and had no problems with it over last year. Great little motor
That is great Mimi I have high hopes fir this little motor they are very simple for a two stroke and light! You can find parts via Yamaha or hangkai. I keep getting trash in the carb but I added a filter and clear fuel line so all is well now. Please share pictures and videos as well for learning. I’m sure others searched this engine and count find much info on it.
👍
Brightstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 13:12   #41

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I buy any parts I need on line. No problems so far--
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine