Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2012, 20:07   #1

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000
Chinese Diesel Engines

Does anyone have any experience with these Chinese marine diesels ?

I just got a quote from China to supply a 3 cylinder 32Hp marine diesel TDME-385 :

Price for our TDME-385(32hp) FOB SHANGHAI: USD2397

This is amazingly cheap.....

I found a Youtube video on it but its in Russian !!

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TDME-385.jpg
Views:	1048
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	36591  
Old 28-01-2012, 20:12   #2

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Chinese Diesel engines

See here
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-oz-75385.html

and from your Russian vid http://td-power.ru/
Old 28-01-2012, 20:41   #3

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

There are now 3 threads here with people talking up Chinese engines. Are you perhaps the ditributor for these engines Cat Man Do?
Old 28-01-2012, 20:53   #4

Boat: 45ft ketch

its like anything you get what you pay for
Old 28-01-2012, 21:09   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
There are now 3 threads here with people talking up Chinese engines. Are you perhaps the ditributor for these engines Cat Man Do?
Let him speak for himself. >> http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...me-6516-5.html Bottom of page and on......
Old 06-10-2012, 15:45   #6

Re: Chinese Diesel Engines

I've been surprised that there hasn't been more useful comment on this. I'm under the impressive quite a few of these engines have been sold and are out there in use.

I just bought two of them and had shipped to the Solomon Islands where I've a couple of project boats.

see Rebirth of the M.V Pagu

The engines only recently arrived so I haven't installed yet and can't comment on their performance. However the buying & shipping couldn't have been easier.

I'll post some updates as I install and use the engines.
Old 13-04-2013, 00:14   #7

Hi Pagu - would be interested in hearing more about the engines you purchased from China? I've just come across them, and am looking at a 58hp, 85 or 110hp diesel for my halvorsen.
I've got all the spec sheets from David Wang, of the JIANGYAN_XINGYANG_MACHINE_BUILDING_CO_LTD
but would be great to hear your thoughts.

Regards,
SQ
Old 13-04-2013, 01:51   #8

Hi SQ. Here's the story to date.

I bought two TDME385M. The guy I dealt with (Goby) was very good. Excellent communication. Payment up front required so I asked for a reference and was directed to a large diesel engine business here in Australia who buy about 80 engines a month from that factory - not marine engines though, standard disels for pumping. That business gave a glowing reference, so I went ahead and paid. I bought two engines because that was the minimum number they'd sell me. I had a second unpowered hull so that was fine.

The factory organised shipping for me at a very good rate. This I welcomed because destination was the Solomon Islands and would have been a headache for me to work out how get them from Shanghai to Honiara, so another tick.

Engines arrived and I had them shipped right away to an outer named Liapari, location of the yard that would be fitting them for me. I've been busy and in Australia for the past few months so I haven't been around while the engines were installed, but report from engineer is that they looked good (like a Masey Fergusson tractor he said) and they are now installed and he hasn't sent me any complaints or issues re the installation.

So both engines are now installed in the two boats and ready to run. I'm back in the Solomons at the end of May and will go collect my boats. I'll post my continuing experiences and observations here.

In summary: The purchase process was good. No complaints. Oposite really. I've give praise.

Cheers

Wade
Old 13-04-2013, 04:20   #9
cruiser

Probably a good idea to buy two Chinese engines and keep the second one on board as a spare.
Old 13-04-2013, 04:31   #10

True and I haven't explored the spares options. Though in the Solomon Islands you can't get spares for even the most common engines regardless of make!
Old 13-04-2013, 04:34   #11

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Well said Kenomac! Chinese engines are the laughing stock in US engineering schools; metal shavings everywhere! (Cheap is Expensive!) Mauritz
Old 13-04-2013, 04:55   #12

Do you have any genuine first hand experience with these engines? My point is not to defend, nor to bag them, but simply share some experience and information on. Just throwing out vague generialisations and bias is pretty useless and doesn’t help anyone get any closer to learning what they are actually like, and if possibly the engine for their needs, or not.
Old 13-04-2013, 05:56   #13

Boat: Carter offshore 35

If they are anything like the 2 Chinese starters for my GM30 that the yard said weren't Chinese until proven they were makes me think theses engines might make pretty good anchors.
Old 13-04-2013, 06:00   #14

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hi Pagu! Chinese engines design and manufacture are below western European, US and Canada standards. The metal used in manufacturing is of inferior quality; QC of metal's carbon content/alloy is mediocre, to say the least. The biggest issue that you will deal with is the buildup of metal shavings due to moving parts' friction. If your life depends on it, I would not buy anything manufactured/made in China. (Cheap is Expensive.) Major Chinese engineering companies buy engines manufactured in the US and in Germany; I wonder why! Next time, there is an EXPO near you where Chinese manufacturers are being represented, see it for yourself! Engines look great, but they might as well be made of tin. Mauritz
Old 13-04-2013, 06:26   #15

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagu View Post
Do you have any genuine first hand experience with these engines? My point is not to defend, nor to bag them, but simply share some experience and information on. Just throwing out vague generialisations and bias is pretty useless and doesn’t help anyone get any closer to learning what they are actually like, and if possibly the engine for their needs, or not.
I'm not sure anyone has to have first hand experience with these engines as the entire world has first hand experience with Chineese products in general.
Closed Thread

Tags
diesel