Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2013, 10:16   #31

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Re: Chinese Diesel Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
The area where Chinese made stuff really fails, is in quality control of metallurgy. Remember the Rocna anchors? Groco's made-in-china through-hulls that all had to be recalled because the bronze wasn't bronze?

I'd steer clear of anything Chinese-made where metallurgy is a critical factor.

What the "world" does not know about the Rocna is "what metal specifications were given to their Chinese manufacturers to manufacture the anchors?" China will make whatever you specify, you want cheap junk, you get cheap junk!
Old 13-04-2013, 10:20   #32
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Did you know that about 70% of all foreign students in the US are Chinese, according to a study published by the University of Illinois - Champaign/Urbana. If their universities were that good, how do you explain the massive student flights to US engineering and medicine universities? I attended electrical engineering school in Missouri. Many of my classmates were from China. They unanimously will tell you, that when they go back they have to revert to the "Chinese Manufacturing Practice", irrespective to what they've learned in the US. In China, if you stand-out you will be "eliminated"; free-thinking is never encouraged or allowed, hence the shortfalls in their QC and in manufacturing. Mauritz
There is no Chinese version of ISO9000 certification; it's global and includes the chain of suppliers. I.e. when the engine manufacturer does not make the steel themselves but buy it elsewhere, in order to get and keep their certification, they can only buy it from a company that is also ISO9001 certified.

I have worked with Chinese electronics developers: their way of thinking is very free, very straight forward and of the highest levels. This is why they are taking over from us. Instead of trying to ignore this, we should improve ourselves to the same or higher level. Before we do that, our empires need to fall first because most will keep ignoring it until then, no matter of how bad but clear the signs are. This is what history tells us again and again.

Comfortably Numb is what we are :P
Old 13-04-2013, 10:21   #33

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

But is a fact that we have the major ship stores aka West Marine, budget, Island water world etc,,, full of chinesse junk, shakles twisted, broken , parted, rolls of rigging wire waiting that poor dude with a tight budget asking for a rigging replacement and wachting how the new swages and wire rust so badly in few weeks... just few examples....
Old 13-04-2013, 10:29   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinkajou View Post
Funny

People are bashing against chinese things and they dont even know that their 'American' car is made of over 50% components made in china and/or Korea.... just start looking where the components are comming from on your car.....

under proper supervision they can achieve desirable results....just a matter of finding the right production plant/design....

just my 2 cents...
Yep, I think it's alot higher than 50%. You get what you ask for. Companies that have goods made in China need to ask specifically for what they want. ie: "set the expectation". The I phone is a great example. Some great boats built at the Ta Shing yard is another good example.
The Hino Chinese diesels have been used in Trawlers and big powerboats for many years, they are bulletproof.

Old 13-04-2013, 10:39   #35

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Can someone send me a link to the rocna/china issue story in a nutshell?
I was very occupied when that went down and have yet to catch up.
Thanks
Old 13-04-2013, 11:08   #36

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

It is one thing, when a Chinese manufacturer produces parts for the US market under US stringent processes/licenses. These parts, are as good as the ones made in the US, because they must meet US specified engineering standards. It is another thing, when you buy a product manufactured in China but was not designed, manufactured or supervised by US engineers; the later, does not meet US engineering standards. There is a huge difference in manufacturing between the two, even though both were manufactured in China. Mauritz
Old 13-04-2013, 11:25   #37

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Many of your sails were made in China. Made in China in a factory with some American or Englishman or Australian or somebody there all day every day watching every move. THEN they can make great products.
Other than extreme oversight, I can't think of something that will get Chinese factories to stop trying to cheat every step of the way. Eventually they'll figure it out but not yet, as a whole.
Old 13-04-2013, 11:43   #38

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Liners and pistons + rings looks nice in the pics , the engines looks like 20 years ago technology, i mean lots of pipes around engines , bulky design, dont know how many tough working hours we can expect from one of this engines ,,, Overhaul at 700 hours Lol!!!

Assuming your description is correct and the technology really is 20 years old that makes it 12 years newer than the engines in my hold and I have absolutely no doubt as to their dependability. I'm happy to see Chinese manufacturing denigraded because it offers an opportunity for prudent buyers to get some bargains. I doubt that situation will last for long.

Note that I am not saying that everything that comes out of China is good nor am I disagreeing that they are capable of exporting crap. What I'm saying is that anyone who thinks that China = crap is simply missing out on some opportunities to save a buck.
Old 13-04-2013, 11:45   #39

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
Can someone send me a link to the rocna/china issue story in a nutshell?
I was very occupied when that went down and have yet to catch up.
Thanks
Nevermind, I just read the 7,000 pages about the rocna issue.
I was hoping for a 10 post crash summary.

Hadda pay the dues I guess.
Old 13-04-2013, 11:51   #40
cruiser

Personally, I wouldn't trust the Chinese engine for use as a mooring anchor, or Chinese Chain to go with it.

I won't get fooled again.
Old 13-04-2013, 12:13   #41
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

I have worked with Chinese electronics developers: their way of thinking is very free, very straight forward and of the highest levels. This is why they are taking over from us. Instead of trying to ignore this, we should improve ourselves to the same or higher level. Before we do that, our empires need to fall first because most will keep ignoring it until then, no matter of how bad but clear the signs are. This is what history tells us again and again.P

One of the latest "Made in China" disasters I purchased was a medium sized plastic storage tub from Walmart, which lasted a week before it cracked. I hadn't even used it yet... Honestly, how can they screw up a plastic storage tub?
Old 13-04-2013, 12:23   #42
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Leo Strauss would be happy reading this thread
Old 13-04-2013, 12:43   #43
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
One of the latest "Made in China" disasters I purchased was a medium sized plastic storage tub from Walmart, which lasted a week before it cracked. I hadn't even used it yet... Honestly, how can they screw up a plastic storage tub?
They didn't. You created the market for that cr@ppy tub because you bought it at that low price you demand, and the Chinese comply by making them for you

The only way to prevent cr@ppy products on the shelves is by demanding a quality level and stop buying the cr@p

This is why I can get excited by that "it must be cheaper" mentality. Cheaper we get it, but at the same time the good quality manufacturers go bankrupt so that those products disappear
Old 13-04-2013, 12:52   #44

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinkajou View Post
Funny

People are bashing against chinese things and they dont even know that their 'American' car is made of over 50% components made in china and/or Korea.... just start looking where the components are comming from on your car.....

under proper supervision they can achieve desirable results....just a matter of finding the right production plant/design....

just my 2 cents...
I am sure most have heard of New Found Metals, the people who sell those wonderful stainless steel ports...

Now, guess where they are made...
Old 13-04-2013, 12:57   #45

Boat: Lavranos 40

I was about to buy one in Suriname while I wasn't able to find a good metal turner to rebuild the water pump">raw water pump of my Yanmar. The price for a 40hp was 2500 usd, brand new one, with operator manual ... in chinese. The quality look pretty bad, the block itself look very weak. Next time I sail down to Suriname I will ask fishermen, because most of them are running on chinese engine since 2011.
Closed Thread

Tags
diesel