Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2020, 15:28   #1

Boat: Lancer 36
Checking engine mounts; procedure?

40 year old boat, poorly maintained, hauled 4 months before i bought it, cutlass bearing replaced....hardly operated, needed new bearing already (in process, in water, weather sucks atm) shaft not obviously bent....checking the engine mounts seems prudent, does anyone have advice on a procedure? Engine is a Yanmar 2QM20 with pretty limited access in my Lancer 36.

OloteleMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 15:44   #2

Re: Checking engine mounts; procedure?

Hmmm... sounds iffy that it happened that fast. I would be checking the shaft to determine if there was growth or corrosion on it inside the cutlass bearing that ate up the inside of the bearing. Especially if the boat sat a lot after the first replacement.

To check alignment you need to uncouple the shaft and flange from the engine. When you do that and slip it back maybe 1/2" does it align with it's mating half? or does it move up/down/to the side?

However, I will say that there's only so much movement it can transfer to the cutlass as the stuffing box holds it somewhat into place.
So be sure to look at everything else:
-What prop is on it? is it bent?
-If a feathering prop is one blade installed a notch off?
-Corrosion on the shaft as mentioned?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 15:45   #3

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Have you checked the engine alignment?
Reefmagnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 15:48   #4
rbk

Boat: T37

life engine via chain hoist or jacks, block engine so it doesn't fall on you, pull or measure in place all dimensions of existing mounts, source mounts. Drop in new mounts with new bolts. Inspect brackets and bracket bolts while accessible (Haha! right?) align engine and shaft flange bolt up and move to next project. If the cutlass was in that bad of shape chances are the mounts are even older. Good luck
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2020, 16:38   #5

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

To check the mount integrity you pry up on the engine near each mount. Alignment needs to be done with the boat in the water (very important!)
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 10:04   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 42 OV

For a quick visual have someone put tranny in reverse and quickly throttle up then back down. If mounts are shot the torque may lift the engine to one side.

Iím sure you can figure out how I know this.. 😡
SV Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 10:24   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

There is no check really, often a worn mount will look swollen in the middle, a broken mount the engine will lift up of course, used to often break mounts drag racing.
It’s tough really to determine when a mount is bad, I changed mine because at the time they were 27 years old, but gave no indications of being “bad”

A prematurely worn Cutless is more likely something is out of balance or the engine position is incorrect pushing the shaft to one side of the Cutless, it’s possible for an engine to be in perfect alignment, but it’s sitting too high or too low, or the shaft tube is out of alignment, shaft tube is more likely than engine
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2020, 02:06   #8

Boat: Lancer 36

Thanks for all the answers; the shaft tube does run out at a significant angle relative to the thrust line or centerline...I have heard that was sometimes done to minimize prop walk, but....dunno. The prop is a Max Prop Classic, that according to the guy that did the last work, was installed backwards. Currently the prop is off and in pieces ready to reinstall as soon as i can reinstall the cutlass bearing (won't be for some days as we have high winds and bad chop coming through the harbor.) I will be lowering the pitch to see if the engine smoking under load and low rpm issues are resolved; due to grease and being under water i was unable to check the actual settings, though it was supposed to be at 20 degrees.

OloteleMtn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine