Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2015, 12:05   #31

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Changing CAV filters

This talk of changing filters only after several years or more reminds me of sending in my fuel injectors in for service recently. I try and change the secondary every year and the 10 micron racor more often if I see dirt. However all the injectors were worn out after only about 8 years. The service shop said there was damage from dirty fuel and they need to be replaced. Not such a big deal as they only cost $50 ea exchange but only 8 years of service?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 16:36   #32

Boat: a sailing boat

I replace them every year whether Racor, CAV or whatever. The filtering element structure collapses over time and they stop being effective. I change more often, if the engine gets more use. The same philosophy in my own boat and in the boats I work on.

Every time I change the filters I find quite some deposit there, be it in the element, in the bowl or in between the many parts.

You can't have the diesel too clean. You can only have it too dirty.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 19:02   #33

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
This talk of changing filters only after several years or more reminds me of sending in my fuel injectors in for service recently. I try and change the secondary every year and the 10 micron racor more often if I see dirt. However all the injectors were worn out after only about 8 years. The service shop said there was damage from dirty fuel and they need to be replaced. Not such a big deal as they only cost $50 ea exchange but only 8 years of service?
Injectors are good for about 1,000 hrs, so 8 years between rebuilds seems about right.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote