Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2020, 17:23   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Change fuel filters without bleeding injectors?

I did my first fuel filter/strainer change on my Yanmar 3GM30F and it took me quite some time to get the engine running again and I had to bleed each injector to do it.

The last time these filters were replaced was by a mechanic who was able to replace everything without having to bleed anything beyond the strainer and took him all of 15 minutes.

Are there a certain set of steps I should follow when changing out the filters and strainers so I won't have to bleed the injectors?

BTW - I did prefill both the main filter and the strainer cup when I made the change.
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 17:59   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Change fuel filters without bleeding injectors?

While you can crack the cap nuts open on the injectors to bleed air from the system, its not the usual way to do it. Many engines will simply pass any entrapped air out the return fuel line with no need to bleed. To do this just open the throttle about 1/4 and crank the engine over briefly a few times. The first couple of cranks it may not start. Once it does start, it will run rough, use the throttle to keep it going...after a few moments it should smooth out. Bring the RPMs up and let it run a few minutes to confirm all is good.

If thats not working then there is usually a fitting high in the fuel system which can be loosened to release air (like near the top of the secondary filter housing).

Note: you are not bleeding the injectors, but rather just letting trapped air out of the fuel system.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 18:11   #3

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Re: Change fuel filters without bleeding injectors?

A pain in the backside aren't they, my family's tractors could be self-bled 40 years ago, why can't Yanmar manage it now?

I tend to bleed at the secondary fuel filter, again at the injection pump, then open the decompression levers, spin it for a few seconds and knock them back down, that gets it to fire/run 9 out of 10, but if that does fail, then crack open all three injectors, open the decompressors again and spin the motor for 5-10 seconds (close the water intake cock) until you see fuel leaking at all three injectors, close the injectors and the decompression levers, start as normal and it'll go.

Tags
fuel, fuel filter