Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2018, 08:51   #1

Boat: Catalina 30 (hull 814)
Catalina 30 Exhaust

I am on the tail end of a engine rebuild (Volvo Penta 2020B) on our 1979 Catalina 30. Many indications point to back log of water as part of the reasons for a rebuild of an engine with 1600 hours on it. Ultimately it was a valve rocker arm that failed but there was significant corrosion on the head and heat exchanger housing.

The water lift muffler is not stock nor is the routing of the exhaust hose. There is a anti-siphon lock on the exhaust water line and I have a loop above water line on the hose after the water lift muffler. From there the hose travels downward under the stove but then rises behind the drawers and into the port lazzerette maintaining a proper slope down the exit at the back of the boat. The entry point into the lazzerette it looks like has been chosen to allow for a battery bank install. The highest point is the loop just above the water lift muffler with the entry into the lazzerette being lower than the top of the loop.

My worry is that the water caught in the hose from the lazzerette back to the loop above the water lift muffler could be over-filling the water lift cavity at shut down contributing to the corrosion found at the head contributing to premature engine failure.

I've reviewed threads showing proper clearances. I'm thinking of raising the loop above the water lift muffler higher to possibly 3' (I've noted 4' as the maximum) to increase the height difference between that point and the other 'high point' in the system.

We bought this boat at the end of last season believing it was 'just bring your tooth brush' ready. It has been quite the learning curve. Folks earlier assistance and feedback has been significantly appreciated.

Thoughts on this latest curve ball?
Puregravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, catalina 30, exhaust