Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2024, 15:14   #1

Catalac 8M propulsion system

Ahoy everybody, I'm the new ol'guy Donald @ 74 & finally(!) pursuing m'dream. Been viewing 2 - 3 youtubers a couple years now & really like that salt-life live aboard lifestyle. [Sailaway World / Onboard Life Styles & (?)The O'Kellys]

Okay, in a week or so, looking @ a '75 Catalac sail cat on the hard in Maryland.
Supposed to be in decent shape yet always something huh....?

So far, per all m'reasearchs; I "like" the Catalac 12M but it's out of reach! What only 2 or 3 left in the world...? Where can I get the data or find out what that Cat 8M's propulsion system is originally before I look see?

Following the other kids last year, The Wildlings; (but I left when the babe left! Cool girl!) The kids had a nice Sea Craft Cherokee 35 & it had only 1 engine & twin hydraulic drive system. Which I thought made sense? Does the smaller Catalacs have this system? I know the 12M is a twin engine system.

So..., I'm looking forward to this venture into m'last big hurrah. Let me know....?
Thank you & fair-winds...
DonGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 16:27   #2
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Catalac 8M propulsion system

I believe the 8m came with either 2 small diesels or a central outboard.
We had a Cherokee with the single diesel and twin hydraulic drives. Very inefficient and the parts were very expensive. Ended up pulling the setup and installing a single central outboard, much more satisfactory
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2024, 17:44   #3

Re: Catalac 8M propulsion system

SMJ..., okay. Owner vaguely mentioned "engines", but wasn't I sure. So this CAT8M will have the twin diesel engines. Another Catalac9M looked at in Delaware had the 20hpHonda outboard legged drive. Trying to track down Catalac's engine(s) / propulsion systems. Gee, I figured the single engine - twin hydraulics was okay. I've soooo much to learn! Thanks & fair wind
DonGray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalac, propulsion