Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2015, 15:48   #61

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Car engine in sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymus7a8 View Post
I am thinking about putting a 2003 Dodge/Chrysler, V6, 180hp, gasoline car engine (w/4 speed tranny and front wheel drive) in a 40'-50' ft. motor sailor, (pilothouse/ketch style sailboat). I am a beginner to sailing but I know about car engines, so please be gentle if you want to tell me how foolish this idea is. I know marine engines need special water cooling systems. What else will I have to specially adapt? Can this feasibly be done and what complications will I run in to? Also, any input/advice on buying a sailboat described above will be appreciated.
I knew a sailor who put a V8 Olds diesel in his motorsailer. It was a 40 footer. It had way too much power because once you reach your hull's maximum speed you cannot go faster with a non-planing hull. You just use more fuel. Yes, it can be done and if you have everything you need to make it work then try but you'll be using more gas than you need and it'll be much more engine than you need and take up more space than you need. A 50 or 60 hp engine would have done the job just as well. Duck boats, planing powerboats and bass boats are not non-planing sailboats. Different rules apply.

Good luck in your pursuits.
Old 04-03-2015, 18:05   #62

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
...I might invent something new and become a millionaire.
I really doubt it.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 18:17   #63

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
such is the beauty of the internet...........you get what you pay for,thanks for your 2 cents,admiral
Your 1st post was actactually one of the better ones....😃

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:46   #64

Boat: Beneteau 44cc

Any escaping gas fumes will sink to the Bilge and get trapped and accumulate there as an invisible explosive,(gas is heavier than Air) Not like in a car where they can disperse naturally. You need to enjoy your boating, Not ride on a floating Bomb!
cajucito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:41   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajucito View Post
Any escaping gas fumes will sink to the Bilge and get trapped and accumulate there as an invisible explosive,(gas is heavier than Air) Not like in a car where they can disperse naturally. You need to enjoy your boating, Not ride on a floating Bomb!
So 90% of boats in most marinas are floating bombs?

No you need ventilation and spark protected devices. In general by the time, you get to explosive vapor percentages, the smell will force you off the boat.

With just a modest amount of common sense, it's perfectly safe to have a gas powered boat. Take a power squadron class and they will go over the safety precautions.

Do half the CF users have stock in marine diesel manufacturer?
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:01   #66

Boat: Beneteau 44cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
It's great fun on a saturday afternoon going out to watch all the gas powered boats explode...NOT.

You are getting the correct conclusion (don't retrofit an engine out of an old car) but the reasoning is horrible.
Every single bomb that exists in the world today has never exploded. But they are still Bombs!
cajucito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:20   #67

Thanks to you, and to all who have contributed in a respectful, constructive way. I am new to sailing and to this forum. I may say seemingly stupid things sometimes, but at least I am sincere and eager to learn. When I become as wise and knowledgeable as SOME here that post, I hope I do not also become arrogant, belittling and patronizing. Some of us are dreamers who think "outside the box". Isn't that what this forum is about? The freedom to choose your own destiny and not be told what to do and when to do it? To learn from others experiences AND mistakes? To gather sound information to make wise decisions? To grab life by the horns and live life instead of life living you? After 101/2 years in prison., I am ready to be free...Truly Free! (Please don't judge me. You don't know me).
Alas, common sense and good judgment has set in with the helpful informative comments that have been made.
Living without borders, with integrity, honesty, a smile, a handshake, a kind, unselfish deed and a good conscience before God.
Now, you are free to tear this post apart. As I'm sure some will try. I realize that there are people in this world who like to try and make others look small, so that they may appear big. They have lots of time to mock make fun of other people. I am sorry I have not been on this site for long. I'm sorry I was not born with the inherent sailing knowledge that some of you seem to be endowed with from on high. Please pardon me, "Oh Great Ones".
It never ceases to amaze me how some people love to hate.
OK. Done with my rant. That is what I'm about, so now you guys can't say you don't know me. If you like what I have to contribute, then let's be friends. If you want to mock, hate and pump your own ego..."Roll-on". Go pump something else.
raymus7a8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:38   #68

Quote:
Every single bomb that exists in the world today has never exploded. But they are still Bombs!
Diesel can explode also. Takes some unusual circumstances but it can happen. Even batteries can explode in the right situation, so a solar powered boat isn't immune. Most of the supposedly safe diesel powered boats have propane for cooking and gas for the dingy....making them ipso facto bombs.

So by your simplistic approach that if there is any possibe way it could potentially explode, it is a bomb...your only option to avoid bombs would be a row boat or a motorless sailboat. Maybe a raft that just drifts where ever the current takes it.

The point still stands and is supported by governments, insurance companies and the vast majority of boaters...with a modest amount of precaution, gas powered boats are safe. If they weren't, you wouldn't see them as the most common form of propulsion.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:40   #69

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Quote:

OMG - I did not know this!!!! You have just SAVED my LIFE!!!

I will now get rid of the gas engine that has lain quietly in my bilge, lo these 52 years, waiting for that moment when I least expect it - TO BLOW ME UP!!!

Now, you can go on and save the lives of the 10s of thousands of people who have propane systems in their boats - your job is done here.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:05   #70

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
I am thinking about putting a 2003 Dodge/Chrysler, V6, 180hp, gasoline car engine (w/4 speed tranny and front wheel drive) in a 40'-50' ft. motor sailor, (pilothouse/ketch style sailboat). I am a beginner to sailing but I know about car engines, so please be gentle if you want to tell me how foolish this idea is. I know marine engines need special water cooling systems. What else will I have to specially adapt? Can this feasibly be done and what complications will I run in to? Also, any input/advice on buying a sailboat described above will be appreciated.
Forget gasoline engine in a boat unless you want your wife to cash in your life insurance* Do some shopping around, you're bound to find a good second hand diesel engine, they're built to outlast you & your wife when well taken care of
*Make sure she's never on board when you start your gasoline engine
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:55   #71

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

[QUOTE=raymus7a8;176576.
Alas, common sense and good judgment has set in with the helpful informative comments that have been made.
Living without borders, with integrity, honesty, a smile, a handshake, a kind, unselfish deed and a good conscience before God.
[/QUOTE]

Good statements here. Hang around and don't let the negatjve Nellies get to you. It'easy to ignore them and not respond in kind. There's all types here but the good outways the bad.

Living on a boat fits your statements above quite well. Take your time, don't jump on the first boat that comes along.

And by all means read this forum daily (7 years straight for me) and ask any question that comes to mind.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:08   #72

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
Forget gasoline engine in a boat unless you want your wife to cash in your life insurance* Do some shopping around, you're bound to find a good second hand diesel engine, they're built to outlast you & your wife when well taken care of
*Make sure she's never on board when you start your gasoline engine

How many boats do you think currently have an inboard gas engine?

How many boat explosions do you think occur each year on such vessels?

Please provide evidence of the incendiary holocaust you suggest is inevitable on such vessels?

My gas engine has been on the boat my family has owned for 53 years. I have been on board every time I have started the engine. I use the blower every time to clear the bilge of any possible fumes that may be present. I have overhauled the fuel system and there hasn't been a leak before or since.

How many boats do you think have propane appliances on board? How do you think keep from being blown up?
Old 05-03-2015, 09:40   #73

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
How many boats do you think currently have an inboard gas engine?

How many boat explosions do you think occur each year on such vessels?

Please provide evidence of the incendiary holocaust you suggest is inevitable on such vessels?

My gas engine has been on the boat my family has owned for 53 years. I have been on board every time I have started the engine. I use the blower every time to clear the bilge of any possible fumes that may be present. I have overhauled the fuel system and there hasn't been a leak before or since.

How many boats do you think have propane appliances on board? How do you think keep from being blown up?
Good post. Yep gas can be dangerous if not used right. I'd rather not have it but grew up with it. And thanks to Pop have not been blown to hell.

I believe the OP was dropping the idea of overpowering a sail boat.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:40   #74

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Sometimes this site gets a bit of thread drift which means folks get lost commenting on a commenter instead of what the original post is about. It happens quite frequently so be patient and try to skip those that don't apply to your questions.

This usually is a very safe place to ask questions and most people will contribute what they really know instead of make things up so you'll get some valid responses along with some that are not polite.

Good to have you here and I hope you find what you're looking for.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:45   #75

Boat: Catalina 387

I've got a gas engine (A4) - been down there in the bilge for 35 years. Boat no boom.

On my dock at the marina, there's 10 or so sailboats, 3 of em are gassers (one outboard). Of the 20 or so 30-33ft powerboats, ALL are gassers but one.

None of those blew up either. Many of them even have TWO engines and hundreds of gallons of gas in them.

I'd bet propane blows up as many boats as gas (per capita)
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, sail, sailboat