Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2015, 12:04   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Can't keep my engine running

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Take that screen right out of there and throw it....
The filters should be filtering that stuff out not some itsy bitsy screen.

I had that little screen on my John Deere lawnmower with Yanmar engine, all it takes is a half a teaspoon of junk or less and your dead, I guess maybe the intent of the screen is to protect the lift pump, but the reality is it clogs up with just a tiny bit of trash.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 14:53   #17

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Can you let us know what procedures you use to start the engine and what the latest symptoms are?

We might have some more thoughts if we knew a little more.
Old 27-08-2015, 15:58   #18

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrizmanic View Post
I have a 32 hp Universal Diesel model 5432, I have been having problems with it for the last week, it started when the engine died in some rough weather, I felt it was fuel starvation and thought maybe I stirred up a bunch of junk in the tank, Changed both filters as well as cleaned the screen on the electric fuel pump, the fuel looks clean, no visible water but it still seems like I have the same fuel starvation. Any idea's?
So it died but started again after some time? Did you bleed the system? An airlock is possible and would cause the engine to die again if the cause is sucking air in rough weather. Was your fuel tank/day tank lowish at the time?

If it is an air/fuel leak in the lines somewhere you will be best to look for fresh diesel on the engine body. Is the engine clean and clear so that you can easily notice a diesel bleed?

Also, I have not heard any questions about injectors. It seems to me that your injectors may very well be carbonised. I would pull one and check it. If carbonised then pull them all and clean, being VERY careful with the nozzles. Aggressive cleaning can destroy the shape of the nozzle holes. It is skilled work, but can be done by an amateur if gentle. Also, is your temp guage and alarm working accurately? It is possible that your engine is overheating and dying on overheat but cooling and starting again ok, only to repeat. Of course this is ruled out by a functional temp guage/alarm.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 14:15   #19
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Can't keep my engine running

Good points Muckle Flugga.

The only one left out might be someone put a ping pong ball in the tank. Not that I would know about such things. 😜

More seriously I sympathize with intermittent problems. Sure does sound like a fuel problem. Plugged filter or something. But I wouldn't rule out a bad sender causing automatic shutdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 14:27   #20

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
Good points Muckle Flugga.

The only one left out might be someone put a ping pong ball in the tank. Not that I would know about such things. ��

More seriously I sympathize with intermittent problems. Sure does sound like a fuel problem. Plugged filter or something. But I wouldn't rule out a bad sender causing automatic shutdown.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Actually on reflection there are a few more left, such as valve clearance and carbonisation…

But the auto shutdown idea also makes a lot of sense. Bottom line: more info needed!
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 12:55   #21

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

The pick up tubes can get clogged by some of the ditrious caused when fuel treatment chems are used. In some instances over treating with too much additive can cause the fuel to varnish and clog the pickup tube as well.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine