Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2020, 08:34   #61

Re: Can you run a Marine Diesel without Water ?

IN your discussion- you are spring prep to launch?
what did you do in the fall to winterize?
Just reverse with water instead of antifreeze.
If engine kept at an idle- just above it can run a couple minutes with five gallon bucket of water. If needed put water on deck and run hose to thru hull and wedge into. It will syphon and allow the desired three minute need to fill the system. then CLOSE the seacock before removing hose from outside- this will keep it full till launch- then open seacock in water and start engine. CONFIRM the seawater thru the exhaust.
Confirmation the water pump has picked up suction is most important when in the water.

Do not worry about the glycol in the water- it is actually safer in the water as it dilutes and breaks down in a couple days and animals can not get to the concentrate. (dogs in particular are attracted to the sweet smell/taste). The pink was intended for the potable water systems. Both have same half life.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:38   #62

Boat: Parkstone Bay 21

It's been said before, but really recommend rigging a hose or bucket somehow, rather than run things dry. When I put a new engine in my little MB, I put in a 2-way valve into the seawater inlet line. One "switchable" side goes to the sea for normal use, the other "switchable" goes to a 6ft (2 metre) hose for bucket/fresh water use, the "common" side goes to the engine. The advantage is I can do a fresh water flush afloat.
(having said that, an infrequent run of a FEW minutes only, you will PROBABLY get away with. If you're happy with "probably" - do it; if you're not happy with "probably" - go for the hose or bucket plan.)
parkstone bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:42   #63

Boat: Express 30

I hate to throw a wrench into your plan but most marinas forbid running an engine while on the hard since the vibration may cause the jack stands to dislodge.
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:45   #64

Theoretically, Yes. It will take a while before the block warms up, but you will destroy the impellor in the process. If the vanes of the impellor blow out, you'll need to disassembled the raw water system from the pump to the heat exchanger to find and clean out the impellor vanes and bits to prevent a future clog in the system. Also, you can cause scoring on the inside of the raw water pump which will damage the pump itself.

This is an academic discussion with little real world applications.

1) You winterize with Propylene Glycol which is non-toxic and can be legally discharged into the water.

2) If you are winterizing on the hard, then just close the seacock and rig a hose from the sea strainer to a bucket full of propylene glycol and run the engine. I have a 1 gallon sea strainer, so just sit there pouring gallons of propylene glycol into the seastrainer with the engine running. (I have someone standing at the helm with their hand on the engine kill switch).

3) In the spring if you really want to validate the engine, then close the seacock, open the seastrainer and stick a garden hose into the seastrainer. I put a shutoff on the hose end with another foot of cut off hose screwed to the other end of the shut off. This allows me to control water flow from the hose while not spraying water everywhere.

4) What real world example will you be in a remote area and on the hard and NOT have access to water?? IF this is the case use buckets and a short length of hose.

5) Grocco makes a nice bypass/flush kit to hook a hose up to the intake system of a boat.

All in all there is little real world use to do this. Accidents happen, but planning to do so makes very little sense.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:51   #65

Boat: Chris Craft Catalina 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
I hate to throw a wrench into your plan but most marinas forbid running an engine while on the hard since the vibration may cause the jack stands to dislodge.

Even in marinas that don't prohibit it, I don't like doing it for exactly that reason. Even on a cradle I prefer not to run an engine on the hard.

Some marinas are happy to tow boats to the lift pit for haulout, in which case, I'd winterize before the boat gets moved / hauled. My current marina only does this if absolutely necessary, so the boat has to move under its own power. I normally winterize everything except the engines the weekend before haulout. I schedule with the marina to be the first boat of the day on whatever day I'm hauling (this does mean I can't be as picky about the specific day). That way I can move the boat to the lift pit the night before, so we just move the boat and immediately winterize the engines. That way it's all done before haulout and I don't have to winterize anything on land.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:56   #66

Boat: Albin 25

Many people who have a one-banger with salt water cooling install a Y-valve or joint for flushing the saltwater from the cooling system.
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:04   #67

Boat: Bombay PH 31

Yanmar GM-30F. It's connected to a 6gl water heater that's quite far back from engine. it takes it about 15 minutes to warm up to operating temperature.
I actually brought it back to the dock one time when it was overheating due to clogged exhaust manifold riser(where raw water from heat exchanger couldn't pass) by running the galley sink!
Old 04-12-2020, 09:11   #68

Boat: Hunter 380

If your outboard is relatively small, you can fill a large garbage bin with water, mount the outboard to the wall and run it. Remember to remove the propeller.
ChirpyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:28   #69

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChirpyBird View Post
If your outboard is relatively small, you can fill a large garbage bin with water, mount the outboard to the wall and run it. Remember to remove the propeller.
Leave it in neutral.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:39   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyspc View Post
Yanmar GM-30F. It's connected to a 6gl water heater that's quite far back from engine. it takes it about 15 minutes to warm up to operating temperature.
I actually brought it back to the dock one time when it was overheating due to clogged exhaust manifold riser(where raw water from heat exchanger couldn't pass) by running the galley sink!
In the absence of water, the impellor will burn out long before the coolant running through the water heater (closed cooling) or the engine (closed cooling) overheated. In the example you provided, the impellor was moving water through the pump, even if that water wasn't circulating through the system downstream properly.

Your workaround wouldn't apply to the scope of the OP's question.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:41   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChirpyBird View Post
The scope of the OP's post is for a Marine Diesel. While there are diesel outboards, I strongly suspect this is an inboard installation, rather than an OB.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:33   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman182 View Post
I agree with you.

In my case, a bucket of water would work if I could get my hoses off. This year because of covid power was shut down

I need a heat gun to disconnect hoses.

Do you know how long an impellor can last before it would melt? or its RPMs?
Lots of us have neglected to open the raw water strainer and run our engines dry - right? Until the high pitched squeal of a tasty impeller reminded us? Iíve run my Yanmar for about 20 minutes with no impeller damage (whew!) however, my dock mate says his WesterBeke burns em up within a few minutes. So, yeah, you can do it, but it ainít ideal!
Sofa King Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 11:28   #73

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa King Fishy View Post
Lots of us have neglected to open the raw water strainer and run our engines dry - right? Until the high pitched squeal of a tasty impeller reminded us? Iíve run my Yanmar for about 20 minutes with no impeller damage (whew!) however, my dock mate says his WesterBeke burns em up within a few minutes. So, yeah, you can do it, but it ainít ideal!
That's the reason for looking for your overboard discharge after starting.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 11:41   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
Probably correct but we don't use jack stands.

My club only uses cradles. We can run the engine all day long and nothing happens.
fireman182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 11:44   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa King Fishy View Post
Interesting. 20 minutes on one engine and a few minutes on a another.
fireman182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, marine, water