Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2019, 16:11   #16

Boat: Moody 425
Can you ID this instrument panel bulb?

That looks like the same panel I have. Try to pull the bulb out of the white holder. The white part is only the bulb holder, not part of the bulb. Mine came out fairly easy. Then take the bulb to any auto store. I found the exact light but in white. It's not super bright so it works well in the panel. Sylvania makes the one I got - can't find the card it came on (I know I saved it) but the bulb is easy to easy to find.
Sailing Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 19:47   #17

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Re: Can you ID this instrument panel bulb?

I ended up getting a pack of the VDO white bulbs (600-809) and they work fine. No real need to get out the nail polish since its a diffuse sort of backlight anyway.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 10:33   #18

Pardon the use of an old thread, but I figured I'd try you all before creating a new one.

My dad just surprised me with some very nice looking teak panels that he made to replace my deteriorating Yanmar Type-C instrument panels.

Now, the fogged up plastic gauges are even more of an eyesore. I wouldn't mind replacing them, but I don't see the exact replacement for sale. Mine have a little plastic ring that sticks out, allowing the washers on the back to have something to grab onto. The ones they sell now don't have a ring but rather just the "twist lock" system. The gauge itself seems to be the same size. The last thing I want is to tell my dad he has to modify them now!

Does anyone know if these are generally compatible, both in the sense of fitting the housing and in the sense of working with existing sensors and wiring?

Alternatively, any source for the older style gauges, or any way to open it and clean the lens? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6910.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	449.6 KB
ID:	213503   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6911.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	433.9 KB
ID:	213504  

Name:	IMG_6909.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	402.0 KB
ID:	213505  
Old 23-04-2020, 11:14   #19

Yes, you van replace them, search for
“VDO ocean lens” and look for the correct diameter.

Now, after been blown away by te price get your self som ultrafine polish remove the lens from the gauge. They can be removed by pulling from the front, no nee to losen screws. Carefully split the inner and outer lens with a small flat screwdriver a little bit each time around to avoid cracking. Clean and polish both them reassemble.

Your result we like this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	64B24420-6BEC-4F35-976F-673B93F0E0A9.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	439.0 KB
ID:	213508  
klaaskootsra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 12:56   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Consider getting yourself a micromesh kit for about $18 USD, and shining them up as suggested. Micromeshing an airplane windshield is an afternoon job, and removes all the fine scratches that cloud it. Your job should be quick and easy once you get the lenses loose.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=micromesh...nb_sb_ss_i_1_9
Old 23-04-2020, 13:06   #21

Thanks, guys. I will try this. One question, when you put it back together do they they sorta pop back into place? Do you recommend any sealant?
Old 23-04-2020, 13:11   #22

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
On my Maule Aircraft all the instrument light bulbs were literally painted red as red was I guess cool in the 80’s when my aircraft was built.
As ideas have evolved and dim white light is now what is considered to be best for aircraft instruments, I simply scraped the paint off.
If all you can find is a white bulb, paint it, sounds nuts but it really does work.
Yep. For years now I keep a bottle of bright red nail varnish on board to paint bulbs both in my instrument panel and compass. Have always had a terrible time buying compass lights that are not white. Nail varnish is never opaque and depth of colour depends on number of coats.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 14:00   #23

No sealant needed, there’s a o-ring in place
klaaskootsra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 14:11   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Some of the gauges don't light up on my Yanmar Type C panel. Not the warning lights, just the little glowing lights that illuminate the three gauges for night passages. Does anyone know what bulb this is? Yanmar was no help, and it doesn't look like anything else I can find online. Thanks very much
The bulb base will be labeled , you must remove the bulb

I purchase many indicator bulbs from RS online

Google the bulb

https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/c/li...dicator-lamps/
slug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rum