Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2019, 07:01   #16

Boat: Oyster 485
Re: Can You Carry an Outboard Engine in Your Luggage ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Just a note, I did bring it in my baggage, I took the lower unit off in one bag and the upper unit in a second bag, with the carb and flywheele in a third bag, they asked what was in the bags I told them engine parts
Just for posterity, if there's anyone looking to do this in 2019, we just took a Yamaha 8hp 2 stroke from Berlin to Ecuador. I dismantled it as far as I could -took the lower off, carb, all fuel lines, air cleaner, spark plugs, coil, starting mechanism (pull start/flywheel). Then I cleaned everything with a toothbrush, soap, and alcohol. If you smelled closely it still smelled like gas, but if you were to open the luggage the smell wouldn't assault you.

Just a note: this engine has no gas tank, or oil reservoir (2-stroke).

I drained the oil out of the lower, shipped it in one bag, and took the carb completely apart and carried that on with me. The "motor" went in its own bag, wrapped in bubble wrap with duct tape over the spark plug holes and intake (24kg).

Lastly, there is an IATA regulation called A70 that allows for combustion engines to be checked on planes only if they've been purged and certified. We got a local shop to make a receipt saying they professionally cleaned it, and wrote a note (in 3 languages) saying that inside this packaging is boat parts, all pieces containing fuel have been removed, it has been professionally purged and cleaned, and all openings have been taped off. What we were trying to accomplish here was covering both bases - hopefully the TSA would agree these were "parts" and therefore not part of the A70 regulation for "combustion engines" - but if they DID label the motor as an engine, we had paperwork covering that as well. Anyway, it worked.

-James
Old 13-08-2021, 20:45   #17
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsetslim View Post
Just for posterity, if there's anyone looking to do this in 2019, we just took a Yamaha 8hp 2 stroke from Berlin to Ecuador. I dismantled it as far as I could -took the lower off, carb, all fuel lines, air cleaner, spark plugs, coil, starting mechanism (pull start/flywheel). Then I cleaned everything with a toothbrush, soap, and alcohol. If you smelled closely it still smelled like gas, but if you were to open the luggage the smell wouldn't assault you.

Just a note: this engine has no gas tank, or oil reservoir (2-stroke).

I drained the oil out of the lower, shipped it in one bag, and took the carb completely apart and carried that on with me. The "motor" went in its own bag, wrapped in bubble wrap with duct tape over the spark plug holes and intake (24kg).

Lastly, there is an IATA regulation called A70 that allows for combustion engines to be checked on planes only if they've been purged and certified. We got a local shop to make a receipt saying they professionally cleaned it, and wrote a note (in 3 languages) saying that inside this packaging is boat parts, all pieces containing fuel have been removed, it has been professionally purged and cleaned, and all openings have been taped off. What we were trying to accomplish here was covering both bases - hopefully the TSA would agree these were "parts" and therefore not part of the A70 regulation for "combustion engines" - but if they DID label the motor as an engine, we had paperwork covering that as well. Anyway, it worked.

-James

I find myself here in Greece wanting to take that same 15 horsepower engine I brought in pieces to Greece from miami all those years ago back to florida now in my baggage , I'm going to call the airlines Qatar and see what they say about engine parts...
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 14:19   #18

Good for you....

Just brought a small chainsaw from Austin to Norfolk in my suitcase, Southwest Airlines. Blade and chain removed, and no questions asked.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 19:31   #19

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Try flying around some of the Pacific Islands.
An outboard (or chainsaw) would be one of the least unusual things people take.
They’ll also try to carry them on if the crew will let them!
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 18:52   #20
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

I'm about to try this again years ago I made a post here about taking apart my 15 horsepower yamaha i'm bringing it in two different bags and it worked then...now things have changed over these years and I want to bring the engine back home ...
Has anybody tried this since covid has happened..
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 07:55   #21

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
I'm about to try this again years ago I made a post here about taking apart my 15 horsepower yamaha i'm bringing it in two different bags and it worked then...now things have changed over these years and I want to bring the engine back home ...
Has anybody tried this since covid has happened..
That must be a very special engine to drag around the world
I did with a new one from Mallorca to Canaries as sport luggage in business class, they are much more supportive then the wooden class seats were it didn’t work.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2021, 09:03   #22

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Can you carry a outboard engine in your luggage? one that been used? I know there are some restrictions on engines that have been used because gas may be in the carb- I’m going to pull the carb and carry it in separate bag-anyone try it before??
You didn't specify, but I will assume that you mean on a commercial airplane and not just in your luggage (because you certainly can carry a outboard in your luggage if it will fit).

My first thought would be "no" because my wife told me about someone trying to fly on a plane with a chain saw.

My second thought is, it doesn't matter one bit what folks on an Internet forum say, the last word is the airline's. Call or better yet, email the airline and ask your question of them. This is the only way you will get a correct and accurate answer.

Tags
engine, outboard