Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2021, 13:02   #1

Boat: 2002 Admiral 38 Catamaran
Can Yanmar Starter Solenoid be Repaired?

The contacts in side the solenoid on my 3GM are not always making contact. Most likely just need some cleaning. But is there anyway to take it apart? Looks sealed to me. Anyone know different?
ebisucapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 13:17   #2

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch
Re: Can Yanmar Starter Solenoid be Repaired?

The copper contact disc is probably pitted and shot. Find what Toyota starter uses the same solenoid and buy a new one at an auto parts store.
I have taken one apart and flipped the disc over, but that was on a Jeep in the middle of nowhere.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 18:27   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I generally fix the solenoid when it fails. The solenoid may either screw or rivet together. If it's riveted, it's a little more work to drill out the rivets and later re-revit. I usually file the disk until it's smooth. With a good, sharp file it takes a minute. Also file the studs that contact it. The solenoid will work about as long as it did new.

But with all the cheap Chinese auto parts, it may not be worth your time.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 19:29   #4

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebisucapt View Post
The contacts in side the solenoid on my 3GM are not always making contact. Most likely just need some cleaning. But is there anyway to take it apart? Looks sealed to me. Anyone know different?
This is actually a common problem, especially for cats. What makes you think it's the solenoid that's at fault?

Short between the big positive terminal on the solenoid & the solenoid trigger connection (the wire coming down from the key-switch). You can do it with a screwdriver or a short, stiff piece of wire.

Does it start? If not, then you're probably correct, & you should replace the unit. On our 4JH2E, the starter & solenoid are a single unit, & the solenoid also throws out the Bendix gear to engage the teeth on the flywheel. You can get after-market parts that look just like the original, usually for much cheaper, at any good starter/alternator repair shop. We've been using one (bought in Langkawi, Malaysia) for years with no problems.

But if your engine DOES start by jumping it, the problem is probably low voltage to your solenoid, mostly caused by corrosion in your wiring, but also by poor design. Yanmar, in their infinite wisdom, has a relatively small positive feed wire to the control panel, & they then run all of the current for the solenoid through the key-switch, from which it has to get back down to the engine (a long way on our cat). The accumulated voltage drops are the usual starting problem.

Clean up whatever connections you can find, but the best solution is to buy a little 12v relay from any car-parts shop. These are about a 1"/25mm cube, with 5 spade connectors coming out the bottom. They cost under $10 & the contacts can usually handle 40A (which is gross overkill, but OK).

Wire it down by the starter. The start wire from the key-switch goes to the coil on the relay, with the other coil connection going to any convenient ground. Run a wire from the positive lead on the solenoid to the Common on the relay, & the Normally Open connection goes to the solenoid trigger (where the key-switch used to connect to). The Normally Closed connection is unused.

Now, turning your key to Start will activate the relay, which will in turn activate your solenoid, but the difference is that the solenoid will now get the full 12v, so should throw much more forcefully.

Good luck!
Old 28-02-2021, 19:31   #5

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Are you sure it is the solenoid? 3GM/HM engines have a history of wiring harness related starter problems. For instance... https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...tent-9085.html which was the first thread that a search turned up.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:49   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Could be an undersized cable not allowing enough juice to flow from the batteries to the starter. Had a similar problem and a friend with a good flow meter tested it. We put on a thicker cable and the problem was solved.
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:39   #7

Boat: 2002 Admiral 38 Catamaran

So this is on a cat. On the closer side to the helm. (Starboard side) the port side does have the relay mentioned by Jon Hacking. Both engines have same cables and both worked fine till a few months ago. I don’t think it is wires as it clicks and can feel it move each time the key is turned. It usually starts the third time. But I know one of these days it will not be the case and will happen in heavy winds being pushed into a lee shore. Or some other emergency. It doesn’t do it every time just most times. But Jon I will try jumping it and see if it happens.

ebisucapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:21   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
This is actually a common problem, especially for cats. What makes you think it's the solenoid that's at fault?

Short between the big positive terminal on the solenoid & the solenoid trigger connection (the wire coming down from the key-switch). You can do it with a screwdriver or a short, stiff piece of wire.

Does it start? If not, then you're probably correct, & you should replace the unit. On our 4JH2E, the starter & solenoid are a single unit, & the solenoid also throws out the Bendix gear to engage the teeth on the flywheel. You can get after-market parts that look just like the original, usually for much cheaper, at any good starter/alternator repair shop. We've been using one (bought in Langkawi, Malaysia) for years with no problems.

But if your engine DOES start by jumping it, the problem is probably low voltage to your solenoid, mostly caused by corrosion in your wiring, but also by poor design. Yanmar, in their infinite wisdom, has a relatively small positive feed wire to the control panel, & they then run all of the current for the solenoid through the key-switch, from which it has to get back down to the engine (a long way on our cat). The accumulated voltage drops are the usual starting problem.

Clean up whatever connections you can find, but the best solution is to buy a little 12v relay from any car-parts shop. These are about a 1"/25mm cube, with 5 spade connectors coming out the bottom. They cost under $10 & the contacts can usually handle 40A (which is gross overkill, but OK).

Wire it down by the starter. The start wire from the key-switch goes to the coil on the relay, with the other coil connection going to any convenient ground. Run a wire from the positive lead on the solenoid to the Common on the relay, & the Normally Open connection goes to the solenoid trigger (where the key-switch used to connect to). The Normally Closed connection is unused.

Now, turning your key to Start will activate the relay, which will in turn activate your solenoid, but the difference is that the solenoid will now get the full 12v, so should throw much more forcefully.

Good luck!

This.

Low voltage to the solenoid is a known issue with many Yanmars, something I went through myself with a 4JH3HTE.

Commonly solved by powering the solenoid via a relay with a thick wire from the positive terminal on the starter itself.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:30   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebisucapt View Post
So this is on a cat. On the closer side to the helm. (Starboard side) the port side does have the relay mentioned by Jon Hacking. Both engines have same cables and both worked fine till a few months ago. I donít think it is wires as it clicks and can feel it move each time the key is turned. It usually starts the third time. But I know one of these days it will not be the case and will happen in heavy winds being pushed into a lee shore. Or some other emergency. It doesnít do it every time just most times. But Jon I will try jumping it and see if it happens.

Clean the wire ends. Sometimes they look good but have wet corrosion on the contact surfaces held by a nut.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:56   #10

Boat: Taswell 43

following.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 15:45   #11

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft

Yes have had the clicking noise when trying to start my 2gm20f. Went through all the wiring, even found the hidden fuse. As others have said it is voltage drop along the undersized wire & connections. Installed a relay close the starter motor & problem solved.
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 15:47   #12

As already said, the solenoid seldom fails - usually the problem, with it clicking but not starting the engine is down to poor connections.
Start by checking your starter battery has all cells working and up to charge.
Then clean and grease the terminals.
In 35 years with Yanmar solenoids I'v never yet had to clean one.
Towards the end of their life they do sometimes arc, at which point cleaning the contact MAY work - the most usual failure mode is the the solenoid fails to energise- poor contact.
chasfgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 16:26   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mirage 27

I was in a far out area on holiday weekend. My Honda stopped starting and after taking apart the solenoid I had to re-build/build up the inner contacts with silver solder and file down to fit. Sold the car about 4 years later, never had to do anything else to it.
Old 01-03-2021, 17:43   #14

Boat: Beneteau 343

My 2009 Beneteau's 2008 3YM30 Yanmar has a relay on the back of the engine that activates the starter solenoid. Recently, I had what I thought might be a solenoid issue (engine would not turn over). My start batt measured good voltage on the monitor and at the terminals but it was old so I replaced it. I also cleaned the white wire's spade connector on the solenoid that comes from the relay triggered by start switch. All good now. At least I hope I have solved the problem.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 19:49   #15

Boat: Gemini 105M, 34

I have taken solenoids apart and frequently the contacts connected to the bolts are round but only half of the contact is used. Sometimes you can loosen the lower nut (after removing the upper nut holding the big wire) and with both nuts tightened together, rotate the stud half a turn, putting a new section of contact in place. This only works once (like every ten years) before needing to replace the solenoid. An easy fix if it works
captnknopf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar