Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2020, 08:16   #31

Boat: Swan 57
Re: Can I Repair This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
That motor ran lean, that was why it seized, you need to remedy that if you havenít already, most likely a dirty carb.
It also in my opinion just became a 25 to 1 motor and not a 50 to 1 in my opinion.
But that was a 2-stroke engine right? So "Lean" means bad lubrication, which for a 4-stroke engine translates to "check the oil pump".

Hermia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 08:34   #32

Boat: 75' steel sutton ketch

Quote:
Realize the Pee stream is after the pump, but before the engine, it indicates that the pump is working, not that there is water flow through the engine.
The Pee tube water should never be warm as itís pump water before it gets to the engine.
It would be nice if it was water coming from the engine as it would tell you more, but itís not.
Here's a great you tube on the water flow path through an outboard.

s/v michaela is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 09:20   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v michaela View Post
Here's a great you tube on the water flow path through an outboard.
Good visualization. Chomping at the bit right now to give the fix a shot.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 09:53   #34

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'

I'd consult a dealer. If still under warranty, take it in and let them work their magic. Even if not under warranty, you could take it in for diagnostics, then decide what to do.

In future, it's a good idea to flush the motor with fresh water seasonally. Sometimes running the motor in vinegar will remove deposits in the cooling channels.

Low or no oil pressure could also result in the symptoms you describe.
tomtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 10:50   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
1. Is this Outboard salvageable? 2. What are my steps? 3. Do I need to just immediately replace the cylinder? 4. And rings?
5. Do I need to replace the piston? 6. Do I need specialized tools like a micrometer to measure for any warpage? 7. Or are there some tips and tricks to doing this?
1. Yes it is salvageable, as long as your don't run it more and do further damage.
2. First buy a repair manual for that specific engine. The steps are spelled out there.
3. No. The repair manual will give wear limits, out-of-round specs, etc. Some engines cannot be rebored, but most can. If the cylinders are in bad shape reboring is the usual fix. Then a larger piston/ring assemblies are installed. Ordinarily you would also replace the rod bearings st this time. But in any case the engine should be completely disassembled, and all parts checked for wear.
4. Rings, for sure, need to be replaced. Installing oversized rings is not a good practice, without reboring the cylinders and fitting an oversized pistons.
5. Pistons -- almost certainly, after a seizure. But the measurements will determine this. Very minor scuffing can be buffed off, but if you leave a high spot (high by about a hair's thickness, the engine may seize again.
6. Yes, you need to be able to measure accurately down to .001 inch or .01 mm. If you are skilled, you can use telescoping gauges for internal measurements, but otherwise a bore gauge or internal mics must be used. For outside measurements, a good set of vernier calipers can be use in a pinch, but outside mics is the standard. If you don't have your own, you can probably find someone to do the measurements for you. (e.g. a machine shop)
7. There are shade tree mechanic shortcuts, but for a small engine, why not do it right? Get the manual and follow it. You'll need a set of wrenches, and a good small torque wrench (3/8" drive), a full gasket set, etc. You should be scrupulously clean when your put the engine back together; prelube everything, prefill the oil pump. While you are doing all this, also replace the water pump impeller, check the lower unit oil level, etc. Probably a good idea to rebuild the carb, because running lean is a good cause for overheating and seizure.
Ken Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 14:55   #36
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
That motor ran lean, that was why it seized, you need to remedy that if you havenít already, most likely a dirty carb.
It also in my opinion just became a 25 to 1 motor and not a 50 to 1 in my opinion.
Exactly and it was totally my fault that it ran lean after I unknowingly maladjusted the carby- I realised what I had done wrong about 2 milliseconds after it seized.

All sorted now and I am now careful with my other 2 stokes .

It was always a 25:1 from new but I hear you and maybe it is now a 20:1 !
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2020, 15:31   #37

It's already been posted. You are running without enough oil pressure. The Tohatsu oil light on means low or no oil pressure. It shouldn't be on when running. I have two small Tohatsu 4 strokes and that's how it is.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 15:43   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post

I do have oil pressure. The little green light on the tohatsu that stays on for properly operating oil pressure is lit during the entire thing. Until the end when it cuts out.
I didn't see this the first time through. That light indicates low oil pressure, not good oil pressure. The electronic governing system will reduce engine output to avoid destruction of the engine, but allow you to get back to port (maybe). One of these engines can be rebuilt in an afternoon (plus any time required to sublet cylinder boring, etc.) The parts cost about 2-3 times what they should, but even so, if you do the work yourself, you can do it for substantially less than the cost of a whole motor.
Ken Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 17:12   #39

My brain might be off on remembering the light. Sounds like it is. It behaved normally. I hope to be back up there soon to play around with it.
Old 14-04-2020, 12:29   #40

In the next few days, I'm going to start by checking the cooling gallery like discussed in the video above. Lots and lots of stowing provisions and setting up to do, but after that, it's on to the tohatsu
Old 14-04-2020, 12:42   #41
running down a dream

Boat: CD30 MKII cutter
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Probably 30 years ago I was sitting in the waiting room at Brunoís Porsche in Jax, I was talking to an older guy who also had a VW bug.

you must be thinking of Brumos Porsche

gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 05:28   #42

Told you guys I’d be back. Ha ha. Back to this thread. I’m about to start doing the Outboard now.

First step. Double check that the oil pressure light is going off.

Second step, look through the water pump and impeller for any issues. Can’t replace the impeller because I have no parts. And it’s quarantine time.

Third step, take out the thermostat and see if I can find a way to test it and make sure it is working.

Last step, take apart the cooling water galleries and see if there’s any junk in there.
Old 23-04-2020, 06:53   #43

Good plan! You can always just take out the thermostat. The engine will run a bit too cool, but it will keep running until you can get a replacement thermostat.
Old 23-04-2020, 06:55   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermia II View Post
Good plan! You can always just take out the thermostat. The engine will run a bit too cool, but it will keep running until you can get a replacement thermostat.
I was thinking about that, but I didn’t know if running it to cool temporarily would be an issue.

That’s definitely something I’m going to try. Thank you!

Any idea what temperature these are supposed to run at so I can test the thermostat in some hot water? A quick Google search did not result in anything. I assume maybe some people have experience with this.
Old 23-04-2020, 08:23   #45

Not a clue actually, but a normal water-cooled motor, like your in board diesel usually run at 80įC - 90įC, so I would imagine it would be the same.