Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2021, 13:23   #121

Re: Can I move my 38-foot boat with an outboard?

I would have a dingy with the outboard, it would be useful.
Fix the diesel engine or find someone who can. Go sailing with the diesel backup.
ron17571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 13:25   #122

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeanda View Post
We move our 39 foot, 25,000 lb sailboat around the marina with a 9.9 pretty regularly by tying the dinghy alongside. Rig it so you can untie quickly if you need to scoot the dinghy around and give a push in one direction or another.
I am curious about this, it having been on my mind recently.

What would you recommend? I was thinking of tying the RIB about midships, with a line forward and one aft to the deck cleats.

But how to tie to the RIB and probably more importantly, how to set it up to be able to disconnect quickly.

And what about technique? Going on the the face dock or T head would probably be ok with the RIB on the outside, but how about trying to guide into a slip? Would the best option be to come alongside the open end of the slip and then have a couple handy folks warp it in?
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 14:17   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara Mae View Post
Yes thats the internet at large, but we do not have to tolerate that behaviour here at CR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara Mae View Post
Not sure you understand your mandate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
1) Never get into a pissing match with a skunk, and
You all know there is an "ignore" function available, right? I have about 3 folks on my list and it certainly has made the use of the forum more enjoyable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 17.18.07.png
Views:	27
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	247660  
Old 01-11-2021, 14:41   #124

Buy an adjustable outboard bracket and you can do it. 6HP is a little low but in flat water it will move you fine.
The good news is the adjustable bracket is useful to store your dingy motor and give you the backup motor option in the future. Win win.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 14:43   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post

What would you recommend? I was thinking of tying the RIB about midships, with a line forward and one aft to the deck cleats.

But how to tie to the RIB and probably more importantly, how to set it up to be able to disconnect quickly.

And what about technique? Going on the the face dock or T head would probably be ok with the RIB on the outside, but how about trying to guide into a slip? Would the best option be to come alongside the open end of the slip and then have a couple handy folks warp it in?
I've done it, tying the RIB between the beam and aft end seems to work well. Tie it like spring lines

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 15:18   #126

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post

If you’re steering with the dinghy while moving, your outboard should be as far astern as possible to give you maximum steering ability. Ideally your prop is further astern than everything else. If your outboard is even with or astern of the larger object then you can steer reasonably well. This is how I move salvaged logs with a skiff (though usually with a 30 hp in that case) and it’s possible to maneuver pretty massive objects easily enough under half-decent conditions. Or even quite indecent conditions.

Or you can lash the outboard tiller and use the sailboat rudder obviously. I’d still aim to have the outboard on the stern quarter to give yourself options and better steerage.

In tight situations it’s going to be a lot easier with two people because one person can be on each boat and one can do some fending off with a pole and jump out and pull on lines, etc. while one person runs the OB duties.

Re the question of attaching the RIB - just loop the bow line through the rail/whatever of the larger boat and back on to the RIB and tie a simple slipknot- or various other possibilities. Once you have forward pressure from the outboard the RIB will suck up against the main boat hull and stay put. As soon as you throttle back significantly or shift to neutral, the dinghy will want to float free again, giving you the chance to easily detach. Because your RIB is soft you can use it like a boom boat and zip around to apply some braking and push the bow or stern of the main boat into place if needed.

I haven’t had to do lot of fancy manoeuvres in crowded marinas with this method. Partly because we don’t have really convoluted marinas here and we don’t have slips at the ones we do have. For us docking always involved moving very slowly, and gliding in for a gentle landing while one person hops out with lines, fends off, communicates with people on the dock/other boats, whatever. But the same basic MO would apply wherever.

Go slow.

We haven’t felt stressed moving boats this way. If anything it’s been less stressful than running the inboard at times. Quieter, slower, both an OB and a rudder to steer with, and the option to detach and push/pull from any direction. But things are pretty low key at the dock here. We know everyone and aren’t likely to have random naysayers yelling at us.

It would be more difficult singlehanded but still completely possible IME. Just go in slow. Maybe anchor the main boat and go scope the situation ahead of time. Lots of different ways to skin the cat, and lots of possible twists, which can’t really all be covered by writing a book length post on the subject to cover all possible circumstances. The main point, re the thread title question, is that it’s easy enough to move and dock a larger boat with the OB, in my experience.

Edit- As for all the other possible what if‘s and situations you’re going to get into if you have no inboard engine at all, that hasn’t been the point of my posts because it didn’t seem to be the question. Obviously generally speaking an inboard is gonna work better. An outboard is more vulnerable and not going to do so well mounted on most sailboats in any significant waves. A bunch of the smaller sailboats here only have outboards on them, but in general they are sort of jerry-rigged and are more limited in rough weather obviously.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 15:30   #127

I've oftentimes thought about mounting an outboard on a larger sailboat and how I would do it.

The best route is to fix the engine you have.... but say you don't want to do that and insist on using an outboard! No inboards for you!

I would construct a set of rails on the stern of your boat and rig a slide on the rails so you can winch and outboard up and down into the water. That way, when thing get rough, and at that point you should have wind, use the sails, when things get calm or you have to enter a marina, lower down the engine which is fixed in forward position and rigged with remote start/stop and shift and have at it.

This will require some custom bracketry for your outboard which would likely require some stainless steel fabrications (not cheap).

The little swing up traditional brackets won't be effective and your engine will get wet in rough weather. I would also go with a high torque work boat engine of 20+ hp with the biggest low pitch prop available.

That should work fine, but buy the time you "do this right" you could probably have repaired your main engine.
Dave9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 16:10   #128

Boat: Cutter rigged, wooden John Alden Malabar Senior LWL 24'4", LOA 33'9"
Send a message via Skype™ to Cutterman

Another option that I have used in calm weather and to transit rivers and canals for many miles on my 13000lb Alden sloop is to tie your dinghy alongside so that you can get to the outboard's throttle when necessary. Use the the boat's steering system. No long shaft required then. My outboard was an 8hp s/s Honda on a three metre rubber dinghy.

Good luck with timing your arrival at marina's.
Cutterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 17:17   #129

The prop is small and designed to pass through a lot of water quickly. It won't be able to push a heavy boat at the speed the prop is designed to go. You can put it in gear and slowly try to pick up speed. It will move the boat but when you try to go faster the prop will cavitate the water turning it into a mix of air and water, lose its grip and slip. You will hear it happen. But you may be able to creep along.
Morequestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 17:30   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoserumlvr View Post
Thank you! Interesting. I don't doubt that a diesel is better, but it is encouraging to hear that people make it work. I know people who make passages with no motor, so commenters who say you should never go anywhere without an inboard, I don't agree with them.
It reminds me of commenters on posts about electric motors who say they are terrible because they prefer internal combustion.
I would like to go electric personally but not sure I can manage it this year.
I originally replied based on what I think now was a misunderstanding that you intended the outboard for temporary use "while you get it fixed". Perhaps a few miles and one in-and-out.

Having done FL to SC via the AICW I personally would not be comfortable relying on an outboard and all the ancillary components like gasoline, lines, tanks, throttle controls and so forth, for an extended voyage.

But then, I'm not real salty either.
Old 01-11-2021, 17:32   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Oh you mean those tiny cables that hang over the transom? Or fuel hose?
You can simply plumb these into the transom.
Don't see a problem there.
If your running something with more HP.
You don't want to pull a cord for sure.
All you'll have to do is lay on your belly and push a button.
I have to ask then, if I'm going to the trouble and expense of (re)installing dedicated fuel tankage, lines, cables, start switches, brackets and so forth all to end up with a suboptimal solution, wouldn't I be better off spending the money to fix the diesel?
Old 01-11-2021, 17:58   #132

Boat: Cutter rigged, wooden John Alden Malabar Senior LWL 24'4", LOA 33'9"
Send a message via Skype™ to Cutterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morequestions View Post
The prop is small and designed to pass through a lot of water quickly. It won't be able to push a heavy boat at the speed the prop is designed to go. You can put it in gear and slowly try to pick up speed. It will move the boat but when you try to go faster the prop will cavitate the water turning it into a mix of air and water, lose its grip and slip. You will hear it happen. But you may be able to creep along.
Probably true to some extent. Actual experience proves that an 8hp outboard running at 30% full revs has plenty of traction. Sure, if you want it to cavitate when the hull speed of the sailboat has been reached, increase the revs and fuel consumption! Experience is more reliable than theory.
Cutterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 18:29   #133

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I've done it, tying the RIB between the beam and aft end seems to work well. Tie it like spring lines
Yes. If all you have to do is move the boat around the marina, tie the dinghy on the quarter and you can go wherever you need with the 6hp on the dinghy.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 18:48   #134

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutterman View Post
Probably true to some extent. Actual experience proves that an 8hp outboard running at 30% full revs has plenty of traction. Sure, if you want it to cavitate when the hull speed of the sailboat has been reached, increase the revs and fuel consumption! Experience is more reliable than theory.
My experience, (a few years owning and operating a 30' sloop with a 15hp outboard, and recently trying to move a much bigger engineless yacht with my 15hp equipped dingy tied along side), not just theorizing, tells me that moving the OP's Sabre 38 with a 6hp will be difficult and at times dangerous.

It will be slow to get underway and steering will be difficult until a decent cruising speed is achieved. It will slow decidedly in headwinds, and depending where the motor is mounted, may not work at all in waves.

Equally as difficult as getting underway will be stopping. The momentum of that 38' boat will be surprising.

And as I mentioned, controls will be important and the ability to start the engine when needed will be critical and probably a big pain due to the freeboard of the Sabre.

That is not to say that it can't be done, just that, in my experience, it won't be a satisfactory solution.
Old 01-11-2021, 20:29   #135

Boat: Oceanis 38 11.5m

Simply because something can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.
surf_km55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, outboard