Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2021, 07:13   #136

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: Can I move my 38-foot boat with an outboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
My experience, (a few years owning and operating a 30' sloop with a 15hp outboard, and recently trying to move a much bigger engineless yacht with my 15hp equipped dingy tied along side), not just theorizing, tells me that moving the OP's Sabre 38 with a 6hp will be difficult and at times dangerous.

It will be slow to get underway and steering will be difficult until a decent cruising speed is achieved. It will slow decidedly in headwinds, and depending where the motor is mounted, may not work at all in waves.

Equally as difficult as getting underway will be stopping. The momentum of that 38' boat will be surprising.

And as I mentioned, controls will be important and the ability to start the engine when needed will be critical and probably a big pain due to the freeboard of the Sabre.

That is not to say that it can't be done, just that, in my experience, it won't be a satisfactory solution.
Good point on the starting. I didn't think about that. OP wants to use a 6hp and it's probably rope start. So that's yet another good argument against the outboard.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:52   #137

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Geez. Tie on some string and lengthen the pull cord...
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:40   #138

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
My point was that your specific and disrespectful assessment of BillK is at least as demeaning and snarky as his was. Yours in particular does not meet the CF rule about "being nice". Accusing him of being a bully is more of a personal attack than his indirect question about sailing ability. You both need to back off and consider obeying the rules that you agreed to when you joined CF. If you should encounter a post that offends you, flag it and leave it to the moderator team to deal with the situation.

BTW, in this case I am posting as a regular member of CF, not as a moderator.

Jim
Having witnessed the mentioned thread.
I didn't think The post was tacky, or bullying, I'm not aware of other comments mentioned.

Some speak in Second Person terminology, and can trigger others not understanding the form of speaking used.
"You" doesn't always mean someone is speaking to, or about You, as the subject of discussion, but can be misunderstood as such.

And if we wonder if they are speaking to, or about us, we could ask them directly, to avoid confusing feelings.

Assumptions are even worse, in my opinion.

I do believe the responses have been less than kind or understanding.
Also, the preceived offender is not commenting.
So, it's rude to comment about it when their not present to defend themselves, if they think they need to.

I maybe wrong, but as a Member, viewing this exchange, I'm not sure why it's such an issue.
Not gas-lighting the response of the offended.

Just don't think the commenting is helpful to any one else and should be limited to personal e mails and maybe Mods, certainly the ignore button if nessessary.

I will not comment further about this, hope we can ALL just let it go.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:59   #139

Boat: Oceanis 38 11.5m
Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeanda View Post
Geez. Tie on some string and lengthen the pull cord...
Jury rigging an already ill-conceived jury rig?

Niiiiiiice.

Peace out.
Old 02-11-2021, 17:00   #140

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
For all practical purposes, you are going to be an engineless sailboat because on a long trip, you are going to be dealing with less than perfect conditions at times. It can be done but it is far from ideal.

Fixing the main engine is a far better option.

On our 34ft catamaran (10k lb), we could deploy the 5hp dingy motor on a drop down mount if our main engine died. In dead calm, it would get us around 3kts and it took a while to get up to that speed. Trying to stop the boat quickly as you are about to hit a gold platter...not happening.

I'm actually a fan of modern 4stroke fuel injected outboards for small to medium size cruising boats...but the boat has to be designed for outboard power.

To initiate a long journey with questionable equipment is poor seamanship in my opinion.
I don’t think it’s poor seaman ship when your talking about the power to get you in and out of marinas, assuming you have the time, the power is in the sails,
surely greater seaman ship would mean you need not even worry if the engine starts or not. Sail boats don’t need engines to sail. I would not put myself in the ready to sail in an estuary without an engine but there are those that do. and they are great sailors! However if I am about to coast to coast somewhere I wouldn’t be planning on using the engine at all, that’s for hitting the mooring buoy and improving my journey time when I ave to be at work the next day.
So outboard should be no problem, if your taking it in fir the engine to be fixed on arrival, then I am sure the locals or yard will guide you in with a dingy or 2
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 22:48   #141

Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneesprit View Post
.....assuming you have the time, the power is in the sails, surely greater seaman ship would mean you need not even worry if the engine starts or not. Sail boats don’t need engines to sail.....
What is it with these cornball posts? You don't sail much, do you? The days of emulating the likes of Vasco da Gama, Magellan, Et Al went out of style eons ago.

I've lost count of outings where the wind died completely while still out on the water prior to returning to port. I don't care how good of a sailor you are, zero wind means you're not going anywhere, unless by current or engine. Seamanship be damned.

When there's wind, me and my kids can pull a Capri 22 into the fairway, pull a quick u-turn and slide up perfectly to the dock no problem...all while under sail. EZ, PZ. When there is no wind or engine one simply doesn't move and none of the foregoing is possible. Seamanship be damned.

My 38' sailboat absolutely requires the engine to get into the slip, since the slip is too narrow to sail into. In this regard, my own seamanship is arguably inadequate, since there is someone on this planet I know who could possibly negotiate the maneuver under sail. His name? Captain Ron.

The bottom-line? This thread has gone from a bad idea to the inane. To the OP, good luck, especially if you follow through with your really bad idea.
I'm out.
Old 02-11-2021, 23:20   #142

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Quote:
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing, rather than a long life spent in a miserable way."
-Alan Watts
irony...
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 00:06   #143

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_km55 View Post
My 38' sailboat absolutely requires the engine to get into the slip, since the slip is too narrow to sail into.
if it is too narrow to sail into then it's also too narrow for the boat to fit into.

I managed to go to dozen of marinas and I've never used any type of engine.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 13:04   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandepagnier View Post
if it is too narrow to sail into then it's also too narrow for the boat to fit into.

I managed to go to dozen of marinas and I've never used any type of engine.
Good for you, BUDDY!
You get the seamanship award of the year, woot!
Old 03-11-2021, 13:47   #145

Boat: Cape Dory 30c

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
You all know there is an "ignore" function available, right? I have about 3 folks on my list and it certainly has made the use of the forum more enjoyable.

Thank you. I do too, but I wanted to show support for the OP who is new so that he knows that most of us here on CF are civilized.
Mara Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 13:49   #146

Quote:
I have to toss out the BS flag on the "CF rule about "being nice"". On one of my early posts I was ROASTED. There was nothing nice about it. In my retort, which like Mae's was erudite, eloquent, and accurate (I'm willing to bet both of us are also chic, debonair, and order in French), I received a mod warning.

The fig leaf of "being nice" is, frankly, tattered and its use is biased.

That's why there's an ignore function.
Thanks a lot. I like this forum and most of its members and do not want to see it descend along the sociopathy of internet hell.
Old 03-11-2021, 13:50   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMarge View Post
These are going on my new business cards... thanks!
Ok I will grant you poetic licence. ;-)
Old 03-11-2021, 14:07   #148

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_km55 View Post
Good for you, BUDDY!
You get the seamanship award of the year, woot!

I've only sailed in once. it scared the sh@t out of me. I would call it dumb luck not seamanship.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 14:23   #149

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
I am curious about this, it having been on my mind recently.

What would you recommend? I was thinking of tying the RIB about midships, with a line forward and one aft to the deck cleats.

But how to tie to the RIB and probably more importantly, how to set it up to be able to disconnect quickly.

And what about technique? Going on the the face dock or T head would probably be ok with the RIB on the outside, but how about trying to guide into a slip? Would the best option be to come alongside the open end of the slip and then have a couple handy folks warp it in?
Hip tie.

You want the stern of the dinghy at or slightly aft of the mothership’s stern so steering with motor has maximum advantage.
Big fender at back corner of mothership, small or no fender at bow of dinghy. Dinghy parallel to mothership or slightly toed-in is the goal.
Stern line between sterns.
Spring from stern of mothership to bow of dinghy.
Best would be a bowline from dinghy to cockpit winches and a spring from dinghy bow forward or dinghy stern to winches.
Acceptable would be just a spring forward from dinghy bow.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 12:41   #150

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

A 5 hp motor will move the boat around a marina, just be careful about side winds. It is unlikely to help much pushing down the ICW, and no good offshore. Among other drawbacks is the shaft length- in any kind of seaway the prop will be out of the water too much, even with most long shaft options. In a tight place, you use what you have to, but sailboats began making the switch to diesel power 60 years ago for good reasons.

Tags
boat, outboard