Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2021, 17:36   #16

Re: Can anyone tell me what this noise is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Is the brass colored item next to the hose a valve that may be not seated and whistling?
I did check the brass fittings leading into the fuel pump, none of them seamed to be loose or vibrating.

Thanks for the suggestions
cshep215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 17:49   #17

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

It sounds like the noise the power steering pump on a car makes when the steering wheel is turned to full lock. If so, the valving on a hydraulic device like autopilot or trim tabs is probably messed up and the pump is over-pressurizing. Or maybe air in the hydraulic lines.
Just my WAG.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 18:33   #18

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshep215 View Post
I will be back to the boat next Saturday to Try each of your suggestions. During all of this I did start hearing the serpentine belt occasionally skip and squeal so that definitely needs to be replaced. I did notice just before I left, for what ever reason when I hit the trim tap buttons the pitch of the noise dropped in tone and when the buttons were released the pitch of the tone went back up. I have never noticed the trim tab controls drawing power from the engine before. It didn’t not cause any change in the engine RPMs nor seem like it was drawing power from the engine itself but it did make a significant change in the noise.

Thanks
Could easily be the trim tab motor running making the noise. If the switch or relay is broken in the "on" position it'll command the pump to run all the time. Take the fuse out to the trim tab pump and see if the noise stops. The trim tab pump is separate from the engine and not a factory option from what I can tell.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 04:59   #19

Boat: Dufour 35 Classic

Second the use of a stethoscope to localise a noise source
I used a 600mm length of hose and a small plastic funnel jammed in one end to synchronise twin SU carbys on my old 1962 MGA 1600 MK2 sports car - worked better than any other professional tool to get the sound of the air intakes exactly the same
inspectr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 09:30   #20

First off I want to thank everyone for their help locating the noise. The stethoscope really worked and located the noise. It appears the power steering pump is going out. Everyone’s suggestions made it easy to find.

However the great thing about boat ownership is once you remedy on problem another seems to pop up. Exhaust smoke is billowing out of the starboard side of the lower unit cowling. Any suggestions of what maybe causing this?

Old 24-04-2021, 09:41   #21

I hear a high pitched whine, but I dont hear a buzz. If you mean the whine it sounds a bit like V belt noise. Some pulleys will do that. Could be alternator noise too. Try spraying the V belt with something and see if it stops.
V belt noise would makes sense when you say it changes with rpm also.

Or: Is your trim tab reservoir low on atf? or is yours electrical?

Whoops, Now I see you found it!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 10:08   #22

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
... Exhaust smoke is billowing out of the starboard side of the lower unit cowling. Any suggestions of what maybe causing this?...
Not enough raw water maybe? Usually if you have restricted raw water flow it will burns through the exhaust hose eventually. Check how much raw water flow you have. Possible clogged mixing elbow or heat exchanger. Or bad impeller or clogged inlet or strainer. Might be normal but for lack of cooling water.

What does the smoke smell like if at all? And does the smoke go away at any time?
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 10:08   #23

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
First off I want to thank everyone for their help locating the noise. The stethoscope really worked and located the noise. It appears the power steering pump is going out. Everyone’s suggestions made it easy to find.

However the great thing about boat ownership is once you remedy on problem another seems to pop up. Exhaust smoke is billowing out of the starboard side of the lower unit cowling. Any suggestions of what maybe causing this?

I have attached a video. Getting pretty good at figuring that out.
This is normal, you have warm water exiting the exaust, and emptying into cooler water, some vapor will be present.
Feel the riser tops if they are very warm to the touch there maybe some circulation issues within the risers..clogging up.
Some times at an idle the seawater pump doesn't pump as much thru those risers and some vapor will be present.
If you bring up the RPMs they may cool more.
Your seawater pump maybe getting ready for a new impeller, if you've not changed it out in a few years, do so.
The vapor isn't smoke unless it's blue, or black.
Not seeing that in your video.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 10:24   #24

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectr View Post
Second the use of a stethoscope to localise a noise source
I used a 600mm length of hose and a small plastic funnel jammed in one end to synchronise twin SU carbys on my old 1962 MGA 1600 MK2 sports car - worked better than any other professional tool to get the sound of the air intakes exactly the same
Sounds like the joys of SU carbs.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 10:37   #25

Glad getting a stethoscope aided in audibly identifying the noisy bit, and now that you have that in your kit, you are ready to play doctor.

All the best.

Dan
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 08:16   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
This is normal, you have warm water exiting the exaust, and emptying into cooler water, some vapor will be present.
Feel the riser tops if they are very warm to the touch there maybe some circulation issues within the risers..clogging up.
Some times at an idle the seawater pump doesn't pump as much thru those risers and some vapor will be present.
If you bring up the RPMs they may cool more.
Your seawater pump maybe getting ready for a new impeller, if you've not changed it out in a few years, do so.
The vapor isn't smoke unless it's blue, or black.
Not seeing that in your video.
SV Cloud Duster
One of the marina technicians was walking by and saw the issue. He suggested changing out the exhaust bellows and servicing the the lower unit. I have the bellows on order and will be ordering a new impeller kit and changing the gear lube.

The starboard riser is warmer to the touch than the port side. I have replaced both manifolds in the last three years but not the risers and elbows. (That will be this winters project). I was concerned there might be a clog but when I pulled the plug to see, a very good flow of water drained out and it was clean. No signs of dirt or rust. I will say the starboard manifold was a Sierra and is 3 years old. The port side manifold was replaced just last year with a Mercruiser part and not an after market and stays quite cool. I have heard good things about Sierra parts, just curious if they don’t channel water through as good as a Mercruiser part.
Old 30-04-2021, 11:00   #27

Could it be the bilge pump running dry with a stuck float switch?
Slacktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 11:48   #28

Mercruisers have a bearing in the gimbal housing. It could be making noise if there is insufficient grease. Some models have a grease fitting on the starboard side of the gimbal housing on the outside of the transom below the waterline. It could also be that the engine is misaligned with the gimbal housing which can damage the engine coupler. Engine alignment should be checked every time an engine is installed.
rbthorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 11:59   #29

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbthorson View Post
Mercruisers have a bearing in the gimbal housing. It could be making noise if there is insufficient grease. Some models have a grease fitting on the starboard side of the gimbal housing on the outside of the transom below the waterline. It could also be that the engine is misaligned with the gimbal housing which can damage the engine coupler. Engine alignment should be checked every time an engine is installed.
Please refer to post #20, he seems to have located the noise.
Gimbal bearings "rumble" at higher RPMs.
Replaced a lot of those, I've not heard them "whine" though.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise