Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2013, 20:54   #1
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380
Can a max prop be changed in the water?

I have max props on my Volvo sail drives. Bottom paint is good but sail drive zincs need replacing. Is it possible to have a diver remove the max props in the water to change the zincs. My understanding is they need to be disassembled to come off.
As always input and ideas are appreciated
Derick
Old 23-02-2013, 21:24   #2

Boat: Seaton Durbeck 48
Re: Can a max prop be changed in the water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS View Post
I have max props on my Volvo sail drives. Bottom paint is good but sail drive zincs need replacing. Is it possible to have a diver remove the max props in the water to change the zincs. My understanding is they need to be disassembled to come off.
As always input and ideas are appreciated
Derick
No need to remove the MaxProp, just remove the old anode and bolt on a new one. Easily done in the water. Can't grease one while underwater, so that would require a haulout.
ontno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 21:29   #3

I don't know about Saildrive zincs .. but the Max Prop can certainly be removed underwater. Have the diver rig a small underwater tarp to catch the parts if they fall.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 21:39   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I have used an umbrella hung under the prop to catch bits if needed. Put something heavy like an old zinc in it to steady it and hang it onto the shaft.

You can also grease the prop while in the water, no problem at all.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 21:50   #5

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

We have divers here that grease, replace anodes, change pitch, do everything with the boat in the water.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 23:45   #6

Myvolvo penta saildrive does not allow me to only remove the anode, therefor I need the prop as well Nice to to read the tips and to know it is possible.
George64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 02:14   #7

Boat: Little Harbor 46

If Volvo saildrives are like Yanmar then you can get "split" anodes for the drive shaft which could be done under water, and the cone anode could be done relatively easily. I must admit though when I had a sail drive/maxprop on my Sabre 38 (not the original set up!) I found it difficult enough to do on dry land!
Tim Godber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 02:41   #8

As far as I know, there are no anodes for the VP saildrive that consists of two halfs. If there are I'm happy to know where I can buy them
George64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 08:34   #9
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380

Thanks Folks. I have, in the past, cut the sail drive zinc in half (9 o clock to 3 o clock) and installed without having to remove the max prop. The port side drive now seems to be loosing the lower half (falling off) on a far to regular basis so I was thinking about keeping the zinc in one piece and trying that way for a while. The max prop is great right up to the time you need to replace the sail drive zinc.
I have run for 3 years without a cone zinc. The yard convinced me to put them on 2 years ago and they showed absolutely no signs of wear after a year. Sail drive zincs were just about gone in the same period.
Old 24-02-2013, 09:40   #10
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS View Post
As other here have stated, Max Props can be removed and reinstalled while the boat is in the water. I have done this myself many dozens of times. However, it is probably not a job you want to trust to just any hull cleaner. I recommend you contact PYI in Seattle. They can refer you to a qualified diver in your area who has the tools and experience to do the job correctly, in the water.

BTW- there are no off-the-shelf 2-piece ring zincs available for your Volvo saildrives.

-- PYI Inc. Max-Prop PSS Shaft Seal Seaview Radar Mounts R&D --
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water