Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2020, 09:05   #16

Re: Buying a spare engine

If you have a free storage spot... maybe.. But really, cross that bridge when you get there. You don't need a spare engine, 4000 hours is not a lot .

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 09:05   #17

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I have had no problems with my Yanmar 3GM30F and I run it. As far as a spare engine I would take it if the price is right for the odd parts, but $1200 is too much maybe like $100-$300 would be a better price for something like that.

I have a 1978 Gold Wing motorcycle and bought a parts bike for $80 and it has been worth having for small odd parts, but I have space here to store it.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 09:14   #18

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I had a W-46 in my Hallberg Rassy that had been a refit. It was actually a Mitsubishi 4DQ5, a very popular forklift engine. Parts a readily available through Mitsubishi dealers. DO NOT TELL THEM IT IS A WESTERBEKE! Mitsubishi and Westerbeke have a contract stating not to sell to Westerbeke owners.
Westerbeke/Universal has the same deal with Kubota. Kubota will not sell parts to go into a Universal even though they are the same parts. Aftermarket sellers with knock off parts don't care but either way you need to know what equipment your base Kubota was used in to get the inexpensive (correctly priced) parts. My local Kubota shop thinks I have a B1550 tractor.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 09:21   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy stone View Post
Not really germane to the OP, but just to correct a little misconception -
The reason the 2000 series Volvos (I have one) don't have glow plugs is that they are designed with a cold start system - before starting, advance the throttle "more than half way", pull out the stop handle, then push it back in. This sets the injector pumps to deliver extra fuel. My engine starts instantly in cold weather using this procedure.

Now back to the original discussion...
We went a bit further in this discussion a couple of years ago here. The problem isn't that folk don't know the cold start procedure, it's that these engines are now 3 decades old and starting to wear.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...cs-164269.html

There is an alternative and that's a good squirt of ether or WD 40 for scaredy cats.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 09:33   #20

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
The problem isn't that folk don't know the cold start procedure
That wasn't the impression I got from the quote in littlewing's post, which was the reason I chimed in.

My engine is 35 years old and starts just fine.

OTOH, my previous boat had a 3-cyl Yanmar without glow plugs or a cold start mechanism, and it was a pain in cold weather.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 10:01   #21

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
Westerbeke/Universal has the same deal with Kubota. Kubota will not sell parts to go into a Universal even though they are the same parts. Aftermarket sellers with knock off parts don't care but either way you need to know what equipment your base Kubota was used in to get the inexpensive (correctly priced) parts. My local Kubota shop thinks I have a B1550 tractor.
Sounds like they're asking for a Restraint of Trade lawsuit.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 10:56   #22

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
This is the most interesting post of the lot so far, doesn't everyone think so? Especially since the engine is a Yanmar 3GM30F.

What is going on with that model? And I thought this was suppposed to be the new bright and shiny Yanmar with all the bells and whisles, yet all I seem to see on this Forum lately are posts about various problems with them.

What gives...?
LittleWing77
I'm thinking that the reason we see so many posts about Yanmar products, is because there's so many of them out there as people have stopped buying those "spawn of satin" Volvos - it's just a volume deal. Owning a Volvo is like owning a vintage English sports car - when they run they're great but that's not often enough to be considered reliable unlike the Yanmars which are much less finicky.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, engine