Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2021, 09:09   #46

Re: Broken fuel gauge and can't use a dip stick. What now?

You could try a search on "+fuel+consumption" and read for weeks. Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 11:37   #47

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Get another mechanic. That job can certainly be done in the water.
Or just DIY, fuel gauges are simple and onlu require basic tools.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 11:41   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodiefun View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. The boat has been at a yard where they were supposed to make a bunch of repairs over the Spring (including replacing the fuel gauge). Long story short, the mechanic told me a few days ago that he hasn’t gotten to my boat, and that he doesn’t know when he will get to my boat, and that I should come back in the fall since my repairs aren’t critical. My launch is scheduled for tomorrow and I am trying to gauge how much fuel is in the tank before I leave the yard. Guess it won’t be possible to know before I head out. Thanks again!
As suggested, the most expediente route is to determine total tank volume and GPH burn at normal cruising RPM, then track engine hours. Simple & effective.

When it comes time to replace the fuel gauge switch to something reliable, like a Tank Tender system.
Old 19-06-2021, 11:44   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
That may be true. My knowledge of ABYC rules is from what people have said over the years. I would not want a pool of diesel in my bilge any more than gasoline. I have owned three boats with inboards. One gas and two diesel. In my limited experience I have never seen an inboard fuel tank with fittings anywhere but the top.
A gasoline leak is WAY more dangerous than a diesel leak. A diesel leak is just a mess to clean up, not a bomb waiting to go off.
Old 19-06-2021, 11:55   #50

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

As a 29.9 owner, there is good access to your tank and you might just want to have it either replaced with a tank that has the fuel fill lined up correctly under the fill cap so that the hose run is vertical, or have the current tank modified, which would be less expensive than a new tank, we use a dip stick with 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full marks on said dip stick, we did this because the electric fuel gauge crapped out, and even when it was “working” it was off by as much as half a tank full, by the way the dip stick is very accurate.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 14:28   #51

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
A gasoline leak is WAY more dangerous than a diesel leak. A diesel leak is just a mess to clean up, not a bomb waiting to go off.
While I agree that gasoline is far more dangerous the smell of diesel is hard to get out of a boat. Comfort is important to me and a pervasive diesel odor would be sickening to me and the people I have aboard with me.
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 15:34   #52

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodiefun View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. The boat has been at a yard where they were supposed to make a bunch of repairs over the Spring (including replacing the fuel gauge). Long story short, the mechanic told me a few days ago that he hasn’t gotten to my boat, and that he doesn’t know when he will get to my boat, and that I should come back in the fall since my repairs aren’t critical. My launch is scheduled for tomorrow and I am trying to gauge how much fuel is in the tank before I leave the yard. Guess it won’t be possible to know before I head out. Thanks again!
. The simple way would be to fill the tank, then you would know how much fuel is in the tank Oh and find a shop that's wants your business
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel