Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2011, 08:41   #1

Boat: Vagabond 42
Brand New Yanmar 4JH-5E Smoking

Just repowered my boat with a new Yanmar 4JH-5E. The engine is not broken in yet. It only has 3 hours on it now. It is smoking heavily. White smoke, not blue smoke. My mechanic says that it is fuel, not oil. He says that the engine needs to be run and the rings need to settle in so the compression will go up and burn the fuel better. I am going to take it out for four or five hours this weekend to run the engine under load. Does the smoking seem right?
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 09:21   #2

Boat: 1972 Tartan 34C Fleur De Mer
Callistov,

Your mechanic is correct, white smoke is the sign of unburned fuel. I would continue with the break in and if it continues I would suspect the injectors as being inproperly adjusted (injecting fuel to early) an easy fix, or clogged (resulting in a bad spray pattern) clean or replace injectors. In the extream I would check the injector timing (this is adjusted by rotating the high pressure pump in relationship to the pistons position before Top Dead Center). Checking the timing is a lot different than on a gas engine so have a qualified mechanic do that for you. But for the most part I would do as your mechanic recommends and let it properly break in. I hope this helps
CDunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 09:58   #3

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDunc View Post
Callistov,

Your mechanic is correct, white smoke is the sign of unburned fuel. I would continue with the break in and if it continues I would suspect the injectors as being inproperly adjusted (injecting fuel to early) an easy fix, or clogged (resulting in a bad spray pattern) clean or replace injectors. In the extream I would check the injector timing (this is adjusted by rotating the high pressure pump in relationship to the pistons position before Top Dead Center). Checking the timing is a lot different than on a gas engine so have a qualified mechanic do that for you. But for the most part I would do as your mechanic recommends and let it properly break in. I hope this helps
In a brand new engine????
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 10:02   #4

Boat: N/M 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by callistov42 View Post
Just repowered my boat with a new Yanmar 4JH-5E. The engine is not broken in yet. It only has 3 hours on it now. It is smoking heavily. White smoke, not blue smoke. My mechanic says that it is fuel, not oil. He says that the engine needs to be run and the rings need to settle in so the compression will go up and burn the fuel better. I am going to take it out for four or five hours this weekend to run the engine under load. Does the smoking seem right?
I am also going through the brand new 4JH-5E break-in (I have two hours on the motor, started Monday late afternoon), and am not having any problems with the motor - it's burning well with a clean exhaust. I'm running the motor at 2600 rpm (recommendation from Yanmar was 4-500 RPM under wide open throttle, which is supposed to be 3000 RPM). Yanmar wants this to be done for 10 hours before doing much else with the motor. Most importantly, do not run the engine at idle or low load.

Has your motor run under load during your 3 hours? If not, as per prior post, run the motor under load to seat the moving parts - compression should then go up and the fuel should burn better.

Below is my quicky cheat sheet for diesel exhaust color (stolen from here http://www.uniteddiesel.co.uk/diesel-engine-smoke.php):

I sure hope your motor comes up nicely; it's been a rather expensive three month job on my end to get this far and I'm super happy that all is going well.

- rob/beetle

Black Smoke

This is due to a air to fuel ratio imbalance, either the fuel system is delivering too much fuel into the engine or there is not enough clean air (oxygen ) a few things to look for :
  • Faulty injectors (injectors need attention at about 100.000 to 120 000 miles)
  • Faulty injector pump
  • Dirty air cleaner
  • Turbocharger or intercooler faulty
  • Problems within cylinder head, valves clogged up due to faulty EGR (exhaust gas recycling unit)
White Smoke

Normally means that the fuel injected into the cylinder is not burning correctly. The smoke will burn your eyes.
  • Engine/pump timing out
  • Fuel starvation to the pump causing the pumps timing not to operate correctly
  • Low engine compression
  • Water/petrol in the fuel
Blue Smoke

The engine is burning engine oil
  • Worn cylinders or piston rings
  • Faulty valves or valve stem seals
  • Engine over full with engine oil
  • Faulty injector pump/lift pump allowing engine oil to be mixed with the diesel
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 10:26   #5

Brand New Engines ( according to my yanmar dealer )are run at the factory prior to shipment...... Ring seating does not cause white smoke unless your compression is so far down its not combusting.
I would walk away from that boat and get the mechanic down there and have him continue his break in process. Otherwise your gonna be blamed for not breaking it in properly
chadlaroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 10:32   #6

Boat: N/M 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadlaroche View Post
Brand New Engines ( according to my yanmar dealer )are run at the factory prior to shipment......
Are the motors run-in at the factory, or simply test-run to verify the entire engine works? My Yanmar owner's/operation manual is quite explicit about how to break-in the motor and it clearly states that a new motor needs to be run-in for the first 10 hours, with a slightly different RPM range for the next 40 hours, followed by the oil change to get the newly-worn metal out of the motor.

- rob/beetle
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 10:44   #7

Fired up ,ran ,timing ,valving made sure to be adjusted correctly.valve seats set,no leaks in gaskets etc. Definitely not run for the break in period
chadlaroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 10:50   #8

Broken in or not It should not be smoking something is wrong I would be yelling at yanmar
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar