Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2018, 18:14   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Union 36
Re: bowman heat exchanger venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey877 View Post
Not sure if system will work as well if the expansion tank is lower than the heat exchanger.
Height of the expansion tank does not matter. Mine is midway between the engine mount and the pressure cap. Same for the one I installed on my 1969 Dodge pickup. Both work just fine. Air will find the highest point in the engine cooling system, which is the pressure cap and will then be forced to the overflow (expansion) tank when pressure opens the cap. Fluid from the tank will be drawn back into the engine as it cools and resultant vacuum pulls it back. No air drawn back as long as the tube inside the tank remains submerged.

Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 18:49   #17

Re: bowman heat exchanger venting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
Height of the expansion tank does not matter. Mine is midway between the engine mount and the pressure cap. Same for the one I installed on my 1969 Dodge pickup. Both work just fine. Air will find the highest point in the engine cooling system, which is the pressure cap and will then be forced to the overflow (expansion) tank when pressure opens the cap. Fluid from the tank will be drawn back into the engine as it cools and resultant vacuum pulls it back. No air drawn back as long as the tube inside the tank remains submerged.
Okay, makes sense.

osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat exchanger