Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2022, 19:15   #1

Boat: Endeavour 37 1977
Bowman Heat Exchanger allowing Raw water in

1977 Endeavour 37 with Perkins 4108.
I have a Bowman Heat exchanger with 2 rubber boots on each side.
I am getting raw sea water into the coolant side of the Heat exchanger. I can only guess that it must be coming from either rubber boot not sealing on the HE tubestack or from the tubestack itself. Two years ago I took out the Heat exchanger and I inspected it and it was very clean. We pressure tested it in a bucket of water and it held pressure and we saw no air bubbles. My Bowman HE end caps are new, in great condition and double strapped on. I am not sure if they are the problem or maybe my exhaust is clogged (don't think so as i get a decent amount of water exiting the boat) The water may be seeping around the boots but I have new boots and make them tight. I had the problem 2 years ago and it went away but now its back.

I would consider buying a new used tubestack but looking for advice. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190625_130927.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	427.7 KB
ID:	257649

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190625_131933.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	395.1 KB
ID:	257651

Click image for larger version

Name:	heat exchanger <a title=parts no arrow.jpg Views: 56 Size: 50.0 KB ID: 257653" style="margin: 2px" />
bobbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2022, 12:36   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Bowman Heat Exchanger allowing Raw water in

Does your cooling system hold pressure? That seems to me the first question to answer before disassembly. Beg, borrow, or purchase a radiator cap pressure tester. If the system does not hold pressure, then drain it and pressurize it, listening for bubbles or hissing into the raw water side. With a little luck, you'll find the point these two circuits are getting together.

Good luck with it.
Old 20-05-2022, 06:13   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Albin 25 trawler
Re: Bowman Heat Exchanger allowing Raw water in

I have all the parts you show in the picture, below. Let me know what parts you may need. Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbanks View Post
1977 Endeavour 37 with Perkins 4108.
I have a Bowman Heat exchanger with 2 rubber boots on each side.
I am getting raw sea water into the coolant side of the Heat exchanger. I can only guess that it must be coming from either rubber boot not sealing on the HE tubestack or from the tubestack itself. Two years ago I took out the Heat exchanger and I inspected it and it was very clean. We pressure tested it in a bucket of water and it held pressure and we saw no air bubbles. My Bowman HE end caps are new, in great condition and double strapped on. I am not sure if they are the problem or maybe my exhaust is clogged (don't think so as i get a decent amount of water exiting the boat) The water may be seeping around the boots but I have new boots and make them tight. I had the problem 2 years ago and it went away but now its back.

I would consider buying a new used tubestack but looking for advice. Attachment 257649

Attachment 257651

Attachment 257653
Engine man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat exchanger, raw water, water