Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2021, 18:56   #1

Booster fuel pump for Perkins Prima 50??

My Perkins prima 50 1990 vintage needs 10 -15 seconds starter grinding to start from cold. But when warmed up only couple seconds. i suspects the fuel is leaking down. On previous boats I have had 2-4 psi automatic fuel booster pumps. Maybe I need one here? One of these prior pumps was automatic and was handy to fill fuel filter bowls too. Cant remember the name /model. Advice please. Thanks.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 20:35   #2

Re: Booster fuel pump for Perkins Prima 50??

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo View Post
My Perkins prima 50 1990 vintage needs 10 -15 seconds starter grinding to start from cold. But when warmed up only couple seconds. i suspects the fuel is leaking down. On previous boats I have had 2-4 psi automatic fuel booster pumps. Maybe I need one here? One of these prior pumps was automatic and was handy to fill fuel filter bowls too. Cant remember the name /model. Advice please. Thanks.

most likely you have a small leak somewhere in the return lines from your injectors. i had the same issue after reusing crush washers, got a kit on amazon for $7 and fixed the issue.

Also, does your engine smoke on startup? That's one problem i haven't solved on 2 different primas
Mastermuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 20:41   #3

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
On previous boats I have had 2-4 psi automatic fuel booster pumps. Maybe I need one here? One of these prior pumps was automatic and was handy to fill fuel filter bowls too. Cant remember the name /model. Advice please. Thanks.
You might be thinking of a Facet pump. See https://www.facet-purolator.com/
Old 19-03-2021, 09:54   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Almost any electric fuel pump, rated for diesel, will work.

If fuel is leaking back it could be a combination of air leaks and worn valves in the lift pump. Fuel pump valves are one way valves like a check valve and should stop fuel from moving away from the engine.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 09:03   #5

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Another option is a Keenan filter, which provides an electric pump as supplement to the lift pump, and it allows you to polish fuel en route, and allow easy filter changes, and with a two filter system you can switch from filter 1 to filter 2 by moving a lever. I got one of these after a clogged filter caused by very rough seas stirred up gunk in the tank and stopped fuel to the engine just as I was entering an inlet (of course). Luckily, I had sail up and could sail in, but it might have been some place less forgiving.

Btw, I have no connection to the company. Just a satisfied customer.

https://www.keenanfilters.com/
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 22:29   #6

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

As stated above first check for leaks. I prefer my Waldrup backup fuel pump for a variety of reasons.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 22:37   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
It could also be low compression but it may simply be low battery volts at the starter motor either due to a poor battery or poor cabling.

I would check the easiest first. Measure the voltage at the starter solenoid while cranking. If below 10V, find out why.

Does the engine have pre heat or glow plugs; if so, they could be faulty.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 02:39   #8

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

First check your pre heat is connected and working ,if no pre heat you will need to wind her over for two or three short bursts to get some heat into the pre combustion chambers,the 4 108 4 107 and a lot of diesels have pre combustion chambers and need glo plugs for a quick cold start ,with out glow plugs she will be Smokey on cold starts .,hope this helps ��⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel pump, perkins, pump