Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2017, 08:51   #16

Re: Bolts or all-thread in 14mm spark plug thread

Welding to an old spark plug and using it as a lift point could break the threaded portion off in the head.
What I would do is get a sparkplug thread chaser for the plug threads in the engine and using it as a bolt by welding a section of DOM tube on one end.
A thread chaser is a cheap tap of solid steel for a sparkplug hole, if that old engine uses a standard 14MM plug any parts store will have the chaser, or JEGS or SUMMIT for sure.
Good luck with your project.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 10:24   #17

The alternator bracket is held to the head with the head nuts, so it would be good for lifting the engine, but not for separating the head from the block. I had thought about thread chasers, but I think the lug bolts will be workable. I also dont intend to put huge amounts of pressure on the spark plug hole threads. A reasonable pressure and a large heating torch and lead hammer will hopefully do the trick. Thanks for all of the help. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 11:42   #18

Boat: Hunter 37c

As Guy said earlier put rope in the plug-hole. Put it in the front cylinder until the space is filled loosely, put a bar on the crank and put lots of torque on it. While you are loading the crank, hit the head at the front side with a dead-blow hammer. This is very effective unless someone has glued the head down. Many older atomic fours have two head gaskets laminated onto the block but that should not affect the removal of the head.
nautitrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 12:51   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Usually use the rope trick to remove valve springs on an overhead valve engine and don't want the valve to fall.
You can put an enormous amount of pressure on the head with an air compressor, figure the surface area of a piston in say inches, then times whatever your air compressor will make, comes out to a pretty big number.
Valves closed of course.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 16:21   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Usually use the rope trick to remove valve springs on an overhead valve engine and don't want the valve to fall.
You can put an enormous amount of pressure on the head with an air compressor, figure the surface area of a piston in say inches, then times whatever your air compressor will make, comes out to a pretty big number.
Valves closed of course.
125 psi as a multiplier is a lot of force at least 450 pounds. Should work. For myself I would be wary of messing the threads on the spark plug hole.
I hope GJordon tells us how he performs the task.
Old 16-06-2017, 08:49   #21

I will try the rope trick today. I have used it to change valve springs without pulling a head before but never to break something loose. I will let you know how it goes.____Grant.
Old 16-06-2017, 10:15   #22

Boat: Seafarer36c

Starting fluid and a lighter. Thats how they change tubless tires on big earth movers in the winter. They squirt some lighter fluid in there hit it with a lighter. That would loosen a stuck head.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 11:00   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Starting fluid and a lighter. Thats how they change tubless tires on big earth movers in the winter. They squirt some lighter fluid in there hit it with a lighter. That would loosen a stuck head.
Don't forget to chain it down. It wouldn't be too different than taking off the head bolts and firing the engine up. Never tried it; but I would want chains and a fire extinguisher.
Old 16-06-2017, 11:56   #24

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautitrix View Post
Don't forget to chain it down. It wouldn't be too different than taking off the head bolts and firing the engine up. Never tried it; but I would want chains and a fire extinguisher.
Then I guess you would be surprised. Cranking the engine over is the normal way of poping a head loose. If it could run it would only be for a second, the head would pop loose and it would quit. No compression.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 09:00   #25

The rope trick was a bust. I managed to squeeze about 18 inches into the spark plug hole and put the hand crank on to turn the engine. Instead of coming up to a stop, the engine still turned freely. With a little thought I realized that on a FLAT HEAD ENGINE the spark plugs are over the valve area, not over the pistons. I dont think you could get the rope over to the side where the pistons are. I may try putting a heavy oil into the cylinder and try the hand crank. Just another adventure in old engines. ____Grant.
Old 17-06-2017, 09:04   #26

Boat: Catalina 387

Have you asked on the Moyer forums? I'm sure somebody there has had to free a stuck head on an A4 before.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 09:37   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The heavy oil or grease will work, but try air first, less messy
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 11:14   #28

Sorry the rope trick did not work.
Not to put a damper on all of your efforts with the rope but if you got 18 inches of rope into the cylinder I am curious as to what size the rope was. I have put several feet of 5/16 into a smaller cylinder and I would not be surprised if you put enough in to just fill the firing chamber above the cylinder.
Air is a good try if you can determine the valves are both closed.
Also try setting the head bolts with some slack and then turn the engine over and see what happens.
BobV
Old 18-06-2017, 13:26   #29

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

I have to assume the rocker shaft has been removed -- he is trying to pull the head -- so all valves are indeed closed.

Might try adding a heavy oil to the cylinders to ensure sealed rings and turn it over. I can't believe the head would not pop off.

Are you sure all possible bolts have been removed -- including the one that just looks like a pile of old gunk? I don't ask this as a jab, but from experience ...
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 14:43   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
I have to assume the rocker shaft has been removed -- he is trying to pull the head -- so all valves are indeed closed.

Might try adding a heavy oil to the cylinders to ensure sealed rings and turn it over. I can't believe the head would not pop off.

Are you sure all possible bolts have been removed -- including the one that just looks like a pile of old gunk? I don't ask this as a jab, but from experience ...
A4 is a side-valve flathead so valve train is independent of the head, think late '30's technology.
I agree with the idea of ensuring that every single bolt is free as this has also happened to me on a different engine. I also agree that adding a little heavy weight (90?) oil to the cylinders and turning the engine over should pop the head.
I could go on to speculate that the last time the head was off the PO may have used a single head gasket and helped it with a little glue.
I am curious and awaiting the process that gives a result and knowing why it is so difficult to remove this head.
Please let us know how you succeed GJordan.

Tags
plug