Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2015, 03:08   #16

Re: BMW Marine Diesel D7

RoDa generator 3KVA. Hatz HE637/BMWD7 Watercooled. Could write a book on mine. It was fitted in my Aqua Star Ocean Ranger 33 and has been a pain in the proverbial. It began with exhaust valve (v/v) seats coroding, turned out to be a leak between exhaust port and water gallery in the head.(anodes neglected I fear) Tried all sorts, high temp metallic resin ect, and gave up. However recently I aquired a s/h unit on "Preloved" and now have a good head and all of the other good bits (except starter motor) However this one differs from mine in that the flywheel is larger and the timing marks are diplaced. I am having a real issue with timing,I have attempted "spill point" but not getting anywhere.By the way if anyone removes an injection pump watch out for the tappet ,housed in the cam follower. Mine dropped in the sump twice so ensure the regulater rack is at "full" to prevent this happing. When replacing the pump line up the regulator rack correctly or damage will occur. Allso before spinning the engine on the starter ensure you fish the spacer out from under the injector. It will eject like a rocket otherwise. So any thoughts out there would be welcombe please. Steve
Iolaire33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:05   #17

Boat: Swift 33

Glad to see that this thread is still alive !

I've bought a dufour 1800 last year with the original D7 from 1980 still working happily.
But last weekend it failed, it started to take longer and longer to start, then the it refused to idle and now it won't start anymore.

Still need to take the head off, but the oil now has a brown/grey-ish color and there was some oil in the airfilter.

So water made it's may into the oil, either via the cylinderhead or maybe the waterpump.

I have some experience rebuilding petrol car engines, but not much diesel and zero marine engine experience so I might be back here for some help and guidange
iGrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 15:37   #18

My friend bought an older 30 ft sailboat that used to have a BMW D7 engine. There is no engine there now, just the gearbox ? And thru hull connection.

Question #1
Does the gearbox stay with the engine or the boat ?
Bigger Question:
Can another model of BMW engine or another brand of engine mate up to this gearbox/ thru hull connection ?
Hopefully with minimal adaption work.
Boat is in the water in Southern California and he would prefer not hauling out.

Who knows the answers ?
Who has what he needs ????
Thx
Donzila is offline   Reply With Quote