Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2019, 03:20   #46

Re: Blown engine. Need advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaymc View Post
Now is a great opportunity to re-power with electric. If you loved your boat before you'll love the new silence.
YouTube cruisers Sailing Uma did the electric drive conversion with a 70’s vessel
https://youtu.be/_L1xmG5Kndw
LeFevreBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 05:35   #47

Boat: Beneteau first 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeFevreBreeze View Post
YouTube cruisers Sailing Uma did the electric drive conversion with a 70’s vessel
https://youtu.be/_L1xmG5Kndw
And they have a very small range even with a lithium bank, almost lost their solar panels on 30 knots of wind and don't forget that now their battery bank support few hours the motor overheats .
Plus sailing Uma are liers and hiding bad staff about products have given to them so they are not to be trusted .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:42   #48

You don't have to buy a "second hand" engine, you can buy a "Remanufactured" engine that is as good as new, but for much less money. Check here: https://www.dieselenginetrader.com/e..._marine_/S2446
izzyforreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:17   #49

Engine 50HP, or do you anticipate cruising under power too ? Would you be doing the work yourself ? Is it relatively easy to get the engine out ? If you are not in a hurry, you can wait for a decent engine to come on the market.
In this vein, what makes for a marinised engine ? Extra water pump and cooled exhaust manifold ? Warning light for the starter and bendix (in case solenoid/bendix stick) ? I replaced both my engines some years ago, for dramatically different ones (10 litre straight 6's instead bof 60litre V-12's). I had cradles made to mount on the old gearbox mounts and assembled the new stuff on the quay. I had never seen the engines or gearboxes during the design or fabrication stages, but they both went in requiring just shimming and bolting to get them lined up.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:36   #50

Boat: Gulfstar 41

The Pearson 39 is a lovely boat; one of the prettiest. Well worth replacing the engine and she's good for another 20 years. I replaced my 4-108 in 1990 and she's still going strong and has never missed a beat. I did the work myself except for the crane to pull the old engine and pop in in the new one. Although I replaced a 4-108 with another 4-108, the plumbing was completely different. But I couild use same engine mounts and tranmission, and the shaft angle was the same. So minimal geometry changes.

Go for it.
lewisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:21   #51

You have done a lot of improvements on your boat already. If you sell your boat you most likely face the need to improve the replacement boat. My advice it to replace the motor. I will disagree on putting a 35hp motor in though. A 4108 is 50hp. It only matters if you are in seas or tidal waters. Maine has strong tidal waters so I would recommend a 50hp replacement. The Beta Marine engine is fantastic. I live an hour drive from them in NC. One thing that I didn’t see mentioned is the Beta is a marinized Kubota diesel. Kubota is the largest manufacturer of small diesel motors. They make motors up to 100hp. The parts for these motors are amazingly inexpensive! Of course that is not a concern for the next 5 years due to their warranty.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:27   #52

Boat: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardrightrudder View Post
I have a 1973 Ericson 39 in great shape. In the last few years since purchasing her I have put in all new electronics, canvas, solar, cushions etc and my Wife, son and I cruised from Maine to the Bahamas. The amount I have put into her is far more than her market value and Recently the engine became inoperable (cracked block after overheating).

I’m looking for some advice: repower? Sell? ( who buys a boat with a blown engine)? Donate? Part her out?

If you were in my position, what would you do?

R,
S/V Kestrel

I have the same year Ericson 46. The hull is indestructible. A worthy boat you have. I repowered with a Yanmar along with a new shaft, strut and exhaust, new fuel tanks, and I'm replacing almost the entire interior. It will never be worth what I put into it, but it will have half a century more life at least.

Put a reliable motor in it. The Perkin 4-108 is a leaky motor. I recommend a modern Yanmar and a Gori Prop. I put a Flexifold on mine and I will be swapping for the Gori at some point.
Night_Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:32   #53

An alternative option is to instal a sturdy outboard motor mount and a high quality (new) 4-stroke outboard. Its not the best scenario but it can be temporary. And there are advantages.

As long as you’re just day sailing it’s the perfect fit. Definitely not an option though if you're cruising afar. Outboards are clean, efficient, powerful, and convenient. Plus you're toting about 400 pounds less weight.

Just a thought.
refuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:07   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Columbia 9.6
Send a message via Skype™ to Michael Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaymc View Post
Now is a great opportunity to re-power with electric. If you loved your boat before you'll love the new silence.
The rebuild with a used Perkins block would be the east expensive product cost but lookout for mechanic costs - if you can find one to do the job.

A 20kW electric motor will provide great power for the Ericson 39 (I know of one in San Francisco). In the US it would be accomplished for about $12000. Range would be a bit limited without a marine genset but it is a sailboat.

Mike Electric Yacht Pacific
Michael Gunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:58   #55

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by oval333 View Post
Hi, we are just repowering our sailboat with an electric outboard. We can get you a discount on an electric inboard or outboard, as we have just gotten on board to help sell and install, these clean, green, sailing machines! This is a clean, trustworthy, planet saving way, to repower your boat which it sounds like you love. We bought an all electric car this year too. Keep sailing! Be well! Judi and Brent
Electric inboards are only practical for daysailors who can plug in to recharge the batteries after an outing.

Anyone needing extended range needs an internal combustion engine. Electric cars are different. There are no charging stations on open waters.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:19   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardrightrudder View Post
I have a 1973 Ericson 39 in great shape. In the last few years since purchasing her I have put in all new electronics, canvas, solar, cushions etc and my Wife, son and I cruised from Maine to the Bahamas. The amount I have put into her is far more than her market value and Recently the engine became inoperable (cracked block after overheating).

I’m looking for some advice: repower? Sell? ( who buys a boat with a blown engine)? Donate? Part her out?

If you were in my position, what would you do?

R,
S/V Kestrel
I have a 2012 54 hp yanmar in good nick still with the factory honning marks on the bores, 2.5k and it's yours.
robertevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:24   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
Just buy a good second hand engine. They are often to be had cheaply. Preferably one that is easy to fit, but a little glass work is not so hard. Replace engine including building a new bed, maybe 1 weeks job. If the engine is on adjustable feet, this is not rocket science.

Sure the cracked block is not repairable? Sometimes you can get lucky.

You have a 4108?
When I was a HGV mechanic many years ago at a main agents they used to get a company in to stitch blocks that cracked and the engines worked fine
robertevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:31   #58
Marine Service Provider

We have done extended cruising with an electric outboard, solar and sail power only. We have also run a 49 acre farm using solar power. Electric outboards can be recharged while underway, using props which deliver recharge, solar and wind power. Fossil fuels are not the only way to cruise. That’s it for me. Just trying to offer you some new thoughts on the subject! Good luck to you!
oval333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:11   #59

Boat: Cal 2-46

I think the 4108 is the way to go. Assuming that is what you now have. We had the identical problem a few years back with a Ford 2712. Picked up a rebuilt engine for $3000. Never regretted it.

Pete
Jimmyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:15   #60

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by oval333 View Post
We have done extended cruising with an electric outboard, solar and sail power only. We have also run a 49 acre farm using solar power. Electric outboards can be recharged while underway, using props which deliver recharge, solar and wind power. Fossil fuels are not the only way to cruise. That’s it for me. Just trying to offer you some new thoughts on the subject! Good luck to you!
There have been times when I had to motor for days at a time. We motored from England to Norway nonstop - zero wind. Also motored for over a week going from Hawaii to Canada. The North Pacific high seemed to move just fast enough to stay right in front of us.

You can't do that with an electric motor unless you have a generator to power the motor. I once visited an electric drive cruising catamaran but he had a large diesel generator to power the electrics.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine