Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2020, 01:10   #1

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
BetaMarine or Yanmar. Which would you choose?

Just have to face up to the facts. My poor old engine is too far gone to bring economically back from the dead. About to make a final choice between the Beta 30 or the Yanmar 3YM30-AE. The pros and cons are kind of balancing out for me, making it a toss of the coin so I'd just thought I'd throw it out there.

Which would you choose?
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 02:50   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: BetaMarine or Yanmar. Which would you choose?

Beta in a heartbeat.

As you know, I have had Yanmars and I do like them but if I was buying today, it would be Beta. The base engine (Kubota) is excellent and Beta have the runs on the board for the maritime bits and bobs.

I do not like Yanmar parts pricing policy.

All in all, they are both good IMO but the Beta is RED!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 03:11   #3

Me for Beta too.

It feels like a beyrayal of my beloved Yanmars , but they are going the way of Volvo with back-end gotcha of inflated parts pricing. Also, the common rail technology means you can't work on your own engine (or it's made pretty difficult unless you specialize), so a Yanmar-certified technician would be required = extra costs. Anything that means I can't work on my own engine is out for me.

Yarmars and Betas are equal as far as quality and reliabilty to my mind, however.

Good luck with your decision,
LittleWing77

P.S. Sorry Wotname, but I loathe their red colour and the green of Volvos. That cool silver of Yanmars makes my heart go pitter-pat...
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 03:20   #4

For me, no question. Beta for reasons stated. I like heft in a diesel. Beta has indeed proven itself over the years.

In my opinion, the common rail item is huge for a cruiser. If the yanmar is common rail and the beta is not, I personally would go beta for that reason alone. Common rail is fantastic technology but requires incredibly clean fuel, a commodity sometimes in short supply when cruising. I don't know that the yanmar is common rail, but if it is, I'd dismiss it for that reason alone.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 03:24   #5

Boat: been sitting it out

from my inquiries (and i'm always asking - yes, am a total boatnut still), hands down, Beta owners are happy owners

from what i understand, most parts can be found in a hardware store

and that red, like the train that could!

Reef, you surely know this, but be sure you change your cutlass bearings when you have the engine out (given the distance between prop and rudder on your gal)

how much horsepower are you going for?

geez i still love the insides of that boat!

do keep us posted!

wolfie
Old 14-05-2020, 03:55   #6

Like others I have always been a Yanmar fan but when faced with exactly the same dilemma I chose a new Beta. Its bullet proof and parts are much less than Yanmar and Kubota engine parts are available worldwide. No electronics involved in Beta engines. I made the change 6 years ago and never looked back.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 04:14   #7

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I’d choose a beta these days too.

Would you prefer a more complicated, “hard to source parts for” engine or a simple tractor engine where parts abound? That’s your real decision.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 04:18   #8

Thanks guys, I was favouring the Yanmar but I need to re-jig the beds to get it to fit whereas it's like the Beta was designed to fit the hole. And then I just discovered tonight that the oil has to be sucked out of the Yanmar dipstick to change it. Even my lawn mower has advanced past that stage. Also a bit annoying the dealer refuses to sell it without demanding to commission it (for an appropriate fee, of course).

The Beta concerns me a little bit in that is is a higher revving and less powerful engine overall so I need to cross my fingers that it will drive the existing prop ok. I do like the Kubota engine though and I did install a Beta into our last boat that ran like a top.

Wolfgal, I hear you but the bearing and shaft were fine prior to splashing and I'll most likely do the install dockside so pulling the shaft isn't an option. If we go the Beta and find it bogs down the plan is to install a feathering or similar prop at the next haul out which would be in about 12 months and in a location having more facilities then we have here. Then I'd more than likely replace the shaft, bearing and - most of all - our funky old school stern gland.
Old 14-05-2020, 04:25   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Me for Beta too.

It feels like a beyrayal of my beloved Yanmars , but they are going the way of Volvo with back-end gotcha of inflated parts pricing. Also, the common rail technology means you can't work on your own engine (or it's made pretty difficult unless you specialize), so a Yanmar-certified technician would be required = extra costs. Anything that means I can't work on my own engine is out for me.

Yarmars and Betas are equal as far as quality and reliabilty to my mind, however.

Good luck with your decision,
LittleWing77

P.S. Sorry Wotname, but I loathe their red colour and the green of Volvos. That cool silver of Yanmars makes my heart go pitter-pat...

But, but, but... red means it will go faster all else being equal!!!!
Old 14-05-2020, 04:28   #10

"The Beta concerns me a little bit in that is is a higher revving and less powerful engine overall so I need to cross my fingers that it will drive the existing prop ok"

I would use your current std cruise RPM and figure out the shaft speed at that RPM.

I would then work out how many cubic inches of engine displacement are doing the work to create that shaft speed.

I would use the same shaft RPM and number of cubic inches required to figure the GEAR RATIO of the new smaller engine.

Beta is very good and may do this for you.

Be sure to have Beta install a front pulley with more sheves and at least the mounts for a second alt and or a mechanical refrigeration unit.They can build mounting gear cheaper than you can , so think ahead.
FAST FRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 06:06   #11
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post

The Beta concerns me a little bit in that is is a higher revving and less powerful engine overall so I need to cross my fingers that it will drive the existing prop ok. I do like the Kubota engine though and I did install a Beta into our last boat that ran like a top.
I thought they both produced 30 hp at 3600rpm.

The Yanmar has three gearbox ratios to choose from. I dunno about the Beta.

Oil filter placement is much better on the Beta IMO.

The Beta brass oil change pump comes mounted with the Yanmar has dicky little plastic portable dipstick pump .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 06:34   #12

The 3ym30-ae is 3200 rpm @ 29hp. But after a little more number crunching, they are actually pretty similar in spec.
Old 14-05-2020, 06:43   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think the choice may be predicated on who is going to work on the engine, if your doing the work why not Beta, but if you have all your work done there sure are a lot of Yanmar dealers.
Parts wise, it’s a new zero time engine, how many parts do you think your going to need. Shouldn’t really need any for a decade.
I have spares for most everything onboard and knock on wood haven’t ever used a single one. In the last 5 years only Yanmar part I have used is a couple of hoses and that only because they were 30 years old, still working, but they had gotten hard.

I would pick the easiest one to change and least expensive, I wouldn’t spend much more for either one, I think they are both good from what I have seen.

If I ever repower, I hope not, but if I do Its going to a bigger as in more HP motor, not for the speed, but for a more relaxed cruising RPM and noise.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 07:04   #14

High parts cost of Yanmar are a surprise to me.

Yanmar engines are used in tractors sold by Yanmar and JD. Might be in other brands too. Have people tried to source engine parts from tractor dealers?

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 07:51   #15

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I have a new Kubota D1105 that I marunized in my boat. It's the same base engine as the Beta 30. It is simple and a great engine. Yanmar is good also but should only be considered if you plan on having a yanmar dealer do all the work on it. You really cant make a bad choice here. Beta will help with mounts to match what's in your boat now and will even paint engine of your color choice.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, yanmar