Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2020, 14:14   #31

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR
Re: BetaMarine or Yanmar. Which would you choose?

I just went through the same exercise. My cat had yanmar 3ym30 motors and sd20 saildrives. I was not keen to cut out and build in a new bed for any other engine.

I spoke to my yanmar dealer and got a fair deal on 2 x new 3ym30 AE engines and SD25 saildrives. They bolted straight down into the matching holes of the previous engines. What’s nice is you get a new harness and gauges as well. On my cat I needed to buy extra harnesses as the standard one is 4m. I needed an extra 4 m for the starboard side and a 6m for the port side.
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 14:27   #32

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFergie View Post
I just went through the same exercise. My cat had yanmar 3ym30 motors and sd20 saildrives. I was not keen to cut out and build in a new bed for any other engine.

I spoke to my yanmar dealer and got a fair deal on 2 x new 3ym30 AE engines and SD25 saildrives. They bolted straight down into the matching holes of the previous engines. What’s nice is you get a new harness and gauges as well. On my cat I needed to buy extra harnesses as the standard one is 4m. I needed an extra 4 m for the starboard side and a 6m for the port side.
Why did you need to replace your engines after just 11 years? How many hours on them?
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 15:10   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Just have to face up to the facts. My poor old engine is too far gone to bring economically back from the dead. About to make a final choice between the Beta 30 or the Yanmar 3YM30-AE. The pros and cons are kind of balancing out for me, making it a toss of the coin so I'd just thought I'd throw it out there.

Which would you choose?
Hello, I was asked by a friend that saw your post to reach out. I admire your willingness to reach out to a community and ask for opinions and references. Rightfully so, I myself prefer the viewpoint of end users.

Have you considered the Nanni N3.30? This is a 3 cylinder, 30 HP at 3600 rpm Kubota base engine weighing 300 lbs. Much better price point comparison, outstanding warranty, superb local parts and service support, and a proven performance curve. Give them a look. You will be impressed.
Racosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 15:21   #34
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
The 3ym30-ae is 3200 rpm @ 29hp. But after a little more number crunching, they are actually pretty similar in spec.
Thanks, I confused the 3YM30 with the 3YM30AE
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 15:21   #35

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I have Yanmar engines, so far not impressed, several engine codes requiring licensed technician to troubleshoot.

I have a Kubota generator, runs like a clock. My only complaint is I accidentally ruined the waterpump trying to remove the impeller, (found after the fact its screwed in).

No other issues, they were happy to send me a new pump, a little expensive, and had to ship from Germany. everything else was readily available.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 16:19   #36

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If I ever repower, I hope not, but if I do Its going to a bigger as in more HP motor, not for the speed, but for a more relaxed cruising RPM and noise.
This is fundamentally wrong. A diesel engine must work hard. It should run between 75-85% WOT rpm under a normal day.

If you run your diesel at 40% WOT rpm, this is far from efficient.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 16:26   #37

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emouchet View Post
This is fundamentally wrong. A diesel engine must work hard. It should run between 75-85% WOT rpm under a normal day.

If you run your diesel at 40% WOT rpm, this is far from efficient.
That's as controversial as the anchor threads. There are two camps firmly entrenched with their opinions and both sides have plenty of anecdotal reasons why. That's why I personally dont think it matters but might lean towards operating at a lower load, not necessarily RPM.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 16:43   #38

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Well, it looks as if the scales of knowledgeable opinion are weighed heavily in favour of the red corner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racosta View Post
Hello, I was asked by a friend that saw your post to reach out. I admire your willingness to reach out to a community and ask for opinions and references. Rightfully so, I myself prefer the viewpoint of end users.

Have you considered the Nanni N3.30? This is a 3 cylinder, 30 HP at 3600 rpm Kubota base engine weighing 300 lbs. Much better price point comparison, outstanding warranty, superb local parts and service support, and a proven performance curve. Give them a look. You will be impressed.

I have, but they're not a common motor in my area and the Beta guy did bag out their heat exchangers in conversation....

Price wise, my cheapest engine option is to replace same with same to that I'm replacing. It's a Mitsubishi based Sole which on paper outshines both the Beta and Yanmar and is also one boat buck cheaper to boot although it wont just drop in either because of some horrible home made engine mounting brackets used in the original install of - I suspect - the motor before the now defunct motor. Logically I should jump at this option but there are reasons such as custom consumable parts that can only be purchased through the distributor and the not uncommon issue of obfuscation of engine and gearbox spare part numbers making it difficult to trace alternative supply.

Besides, my missus will start poisoning me if I bring any more alternatives into the conversation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Thanks, I confused the 3YM30 with the 3YM30AE
No worries. I offered my services yesterday as a consultant for 30hp marine engines to the local Yanmar dealer. He LOL'd.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 16:51   #39

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Go with Beta, parts sourcing is less expensive being they use the same part #s as the tractor dealers use. That and it’s RED, which means it’s faster...

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 16:52   #40

Quote:
But, but, but... red means it will go faster all else being equal!!!!
Really? Why does red mean it will go faster?

Regardless of colour, Beta is the way to go these days...

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 17:11   #41

Boat: Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Me for Beta too.

It feels like a beyrayal of my beloved Yanmars , but they are going the way of Volvo with back-end gotcha of inflated parts pricing. Also, the common rail technology means you can't work on your own engine (or it's made pretty difficult unless you specialize), so a Yanmar-certified technician would be required = extra costs. Anything that means I can't work on my own engine is out for me.

Yarmars and Betas are equal as far as quality and reliabilty to my mind, however.

Good luck with your decision,
LittleWing77

P.S. Sorry Wotname, but I loathe their red colour and the green of Volvos. That cool silver of Yanmars makes my heart go pitter-pat...
I'm not the brightest bulb in the light or an LED...what does "common rail" mean? I have a Yanmar 3gm30F
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 17:23   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I have, but they're not a common motor in my area and the Beta guy did bag out their heat exchangers in conversation.... ( QUOTE )

Funny that as that's the only complaint I've heard thus far about a new Beta was the HX failure. Talked to one bloke who had a mighty battle to get his replaced by Beta under warranty. Had to threaten to take them to court & get a corrosion engineer to write a report on the faulty HX. Got Beta to replace it in the end & he said they dont use that type of HX anymore.
Having said that I would buy the Beta over a yanmar anyday as I don't like rewarding yanmar for their predatory parts pricing. We have an old yanmar & basically it's a fine engine & I guess if you buy a new one you wouldnt have to buy many parts for a fair while.
I don't have any association with Nanni in case you are wondering.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 17:39   #43

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

BETA.

Yanmar is good. BETA is better.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 17:56   #44

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

Yanmar 3gm30f is old school diesel the common rail is on the newer electronic controlled engines. I have a Yanmar 3gm30f in my Pearson 30, I had to make my own motor beds for it and I am happy with it. No problems with performance.

For the Downeaster 38, I went with a Beta 50, It came down to parts for me. The Yanmar parts are expensive and most of the time you have to wait for a delivery. I recently did a valve job on a Yanmar 2gm $80+ and shipping for a head gasket and more for the other gaskets. I am working on one of my tractors now $39 for a top-end gasket set
( includes head gasket ) and I got it off the shelf.

If you can do all the work yourself go Beta.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 18:28   #45

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Apparently we are talking religion here...

None of the main brands are true marine engines anymore - the volumes are too small to justify designing and manufacturing them to modern emissions standards. I used to have a Sabb 18hp, which was raw water cooled and had the (large) flywheel in the front - a true marine engine. All of the engines I looked at for replacement were utility diesels that were marinized - even the Yanmar engines. This means that the small flywheel is on the rear of the engine, which can be an issue for retro-fitting. It also means that these engines are in high-volume production and the quality of the engines are all pretty excellent. As mentioned earlier, Beta uses Kubota engines. Yanmar makes their own, sold for many non-marine applications. FWIW Volvo-Penta uses Shibauru engines, marketed but not manufactured by Perkins. But that is not where we tend to have problems: it is the marinizing components, and especially the heat exchangers, that are the most common source of problems. IIRC all three of these engines have nice castings for the heat exchangers, as opposed to some others that are welded (which I wouldn't want).

During my cruising I found that my engine manufacturer (Sabb) provided excellent service, and was prompt at shipping parts as needed. But importing parts in some countries was a nightmare, requiring hiring a customs agent - and patience. Since both Yanmar and V-P have dealerships all over the world it is easy enough to find their parts, and qualified mechanics, in most yacht centers (at a price). As a result I decided against the Beta; if I were only going to cruise in the English world it would have been different and I would have gone for Beta in a heartbeat. But at this stage in my life I don't want to be a one-man support for my engine in (some) foreign ports. YMMV

As far as parts costs, before purchasing I researched by checking the parts costs for both Yanmar and V-P for a sample of parts and found them to be comparable (and obscene). For a shock ask about the cost of replacing the exhaust castings (several boat bucks). It wouldn't be hard for Beta to come in lower - but worth doing research.

If you buy the Beta then spend some time configuring the build; you probably want some of the options that are standard on the competition. I would pay for the flat belt system and a larger alternator, as well as a full-featured instrument panel. YMMV

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, yanmar