Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2020, 21:08   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Beta Engines, metric or imperial?

Hi all,

I’m repowering with a new Beta 50 soon. Just looking at my tools and I wondered if the Beta has metric or imperial bolt sizes?

Anyone with one who can advise? Also, aside from the usual collection of spanners, which tools do you need for regular maintenance?

Matt
Old 03-01-2020, 21:29   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Beta Engines, metric or imperial?

99% sure it's all metric.
1% unsure
Nah, make that 99.9% sure!
Same tools as for any other small boat engine.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 21:33   #3

Boat: Nordic 44

Metric. The beta 50 is based on a Kubota V2203 engine. Made in Japan. I think you will find all engines manufactured today are metric, even U.S made engines. I suggest that you purchase a workshop manual from any Kubota dealer. Beta will tell you the part number for the manual.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 22:34   #4

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

This is reassuring, I was worried that the UK conversion might have introduced non-metric bits.
Old 03-01-2020, 22:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
This is reassuring, I was worried that the UK conversion might have introduced non-metric bits.
My prediction for this decade is that Imperial bolts will go the way of Whitworth bolts within ten years.
Prolly be wrong though
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 03-01-2020, 22:58   #6

Quote:
The UK has been metric for a long time.

It is only us Yanks and you Aussies that still use Imperial. The rest of the world has wised up.
Old 03-01-2020, 23:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post

It is only us Yanks and you Aussies that still use Imperial. The rest of the world has wised up.
Fixed it for you
Old 04-01-2020, 00:15   #8

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:

US, Burma, and Liberia actually. Aussies changed over during the 70s and 80s, nothing imperial there from this century, like most of the rest of the world.

Having known imperial measurements back from the early 70s in the UK when I was in primary school, I still find it hilarious watching YouTube woodworking videos from the states where they talk in fractions of inches.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 00:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Fixed it for you
I stand corrected. We are the only major country that is still backwards on this. I seem to remember when I was in Australia in the late '90s that it was Imperial.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:35   #10

Boat: 44ft mono hull

Quote:
Metric. The beta 50 is based on a Kubota V2203 engine. Made in Japan. I think you will find all engines manufactured today are metric, even U.S made engines. I suggest that you purchase a workshop manual from any Kubota dealer. Beta will tell you the part number for the manual.
No need to purchase the Kubota manual, give Beta a call and they will email one straight out to you.

Edit, thats Beta head office in the UK, their US counterparts are less generous.
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:58   #11

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
UK manufacturing, industry has been metric for many decades , as a mechanic in my youth many years ago all cars very metric, only the old leylands and Jaguars that came in were imperial and a bloody pain ,
Even the old tank Skodas from Russia which I had the pleasure of working on one was metric with steel so thick you needed a air hammer to get through it
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:08   #12

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

The one intelligent thing Napoleon, with his hatred for anything British, did. Driving on the right side of the road? Not so smart.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:14   #13

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Did not Napoleon not end up defeated at Waterloo by the Duke Wellington as commander, and held at St Helena is the South Atlantic as a prisoner, and his only claim to fame is the phrase Napoleon Syndrome !!
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:37   #14

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

Canada is also dyslexic when it comes to units. Officially all metric; but since so much of our equipment and hardware comes from south of the border, you really cannot function without both SAE and metric tools. Almost all domestic hardware (threads, plumbing, etc) is in SAE/imperial/US formats in the big box stores still. It’s a mess, and maddening...

I run an engineering company here, and we’ve had painful experiences with suppliers taking our design files in one set of units and producing in another... and 25.4 is one hell of a multiplier! We have a few examples of this on our wall of shame that every new employee gets introduced to, as a preventative measure!
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:37   #15

+ Napoleon Brandy

Tags
engine, grass