Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2016, 17:43   #61

Boat: 42' Westsail, 32' Bayfield, 36' Pearson
Send a message via Skype™ to artisthos
Re: Beta 38 or Yanmar 3JH5E

We want to do the same thing. How is it going? What did you pay? We want the Beta 38 with the 7° down angle transmission.
Old 27-11-2016, 17:50   #62

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
I think that 38 hp is *WAY* too much for a Bayfield 32. They have a short waterline and are not very heavy. I put a 20 hp Beta in our B32, and it is more than enough. Any more and you are just digging a hole in the water.
Yup. It's way too much. Save some money and weight and get the 20 HP or there about. Beta
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 04:16   #63

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisthos View Post
We want to do the same thing. How is it going? What did you pay? We want the Beta 38 with the 7° down angle transmission.

I'll also suggest, like the other posters, that 38 is way too much engine for that boat.

We've got a 32' full keeler with a 28 hp engine, 99.99% of the time it's operated in the 15-20 hp range. When you shoehorn the bigger engine in there you'll not be able to swing the correct size prop, servicing will be more difficult and properly loading the engine will be nearly impossible.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 18:25   #64

Boat: Scout 30

Any thoughts on the Beta 35 versus the Beta 38? They are both the same motor but the 35 has more torque & it's max rpms are 2800 versus 3600 for the 38. Coincidentally we're also replacing the Volvo 2003T & either of these motors will have enough power. The price difference is only about $200. I spoke to the importer yesterday at the St Pete boat show & he stated that either version can be run at full throttle all the time & it's not a problem. However, I'm drawn to the 35 with it's lower max rpm.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 18:48   #65

Look carefully at shaft RPM of each and what size prop is needed. With the lower RPM engine I ran into a situation where I would not have had prop clearance. I bought the Beta 38 and was very happy with the beta support on install and custom engine mounts which saved. a lot of headache
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 18:58   #66

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Having just installed our Beta 35 I can say it is a nice unit. Super smooth. I would strongly recommend doing with the 35 over the 38. Its all about torque and the 35 has it over the 38. The beta VS or old yanmar is not anymore quiet, if anything it may be louder. We just redid all of the soundproofing with 2'' sound foam which should be a big step up from the original 1/2'' particle board squares. Having revved the engine up to cruising RPM of about 2200-2300 things feel nice. I brought the engine up to the full 2800 to find correct pitch on our kiwi and I can say it is loud, about the same as the old yanmar with the old sound proofing. The 38 would be running at this RPM full time... Also from what I have been told, the more you gear up these little engines the higher the loss of HP to the prop. With the 35 @2600 we opted for the 2.45:1 to have a shaft RPM of around 1000 at cruising RPM (1000RPM is what out prop manufacture recommended for best performance). With the 38 you would need to gear up to the 3:1 to have similar shaft RPM, thus from what I have been told you will only be able to cash in on about 33-35hp and you will still be need to run the engine at 2800-3000RPM. With the added RPM other things need to be considered as well. Im not sure if this train of thought holds any water but with a cruising RPM of 800 more from the 35, the 38 will have 48000 more revolutions per hour than the 35 (800x60). Over 4000 hours thats approximately 192000000 more revolutions. The 38 in my mind will require more maintenance sooner for long term owners. Do I know this for a fact? no but the numbers can't lie right? Anyways Gear the boat for torque, that means slow rotating big props. We just received a 18.5'' auto prop and are very excited to see how it works with our new setup. The kiwi is much happier with this new gear ratio and has much more bite now.

Cheers,

Jon
Old 04-12-2016, 19:02   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine50 View Post
Look carefully at shaft RPM of each and what size prop is needed. With the lower RPM engine I ran into a situation where I would not have had prop clearance. I bought the Beta 38 and was very happy with the beta support on install and custom engine mounts which saved. a lot of headache
Spot on, luckily for us we have a huge aperture, we can fit up to a 20''. Pick a gear ration that suits your prop size. Just remember the bigger the prop the less slip it will have, thus the more efficient it will be. So go as big as you can fit! the big props do have a lot of drag, so save up and get a feathering!

Cheers,

Jon
Old 05-12-2016, 06:29   #68

I'm limited to a 17" wheel. Wouldn't either motor work by simply adjusting the pitch?
Old 05-12-2016, 06:50   #69

yes, you could most likely go with the 35 with the 2:1 or the 38 with the 2.45:1 or 3:1 depending on the pitch of your current prop. If you wanted to use the existing prop it will need to be RH rotation as well.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:58   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Neely View Post
yes, you could most likely go with the 35 with the 2:1 or the 38 with the 2.45:1 or 3:1 depending on the pitch of your current prop. If you wanted to use the existing prop it will need to be RH rotation as well.
I just got off the phone with Joe Demers at Sound Marine Diesel & was asking him about the difference between the 35 & the 38. I thought the 35 was much torquier than the 38 but he said the difference is pretty slight. He said you can just run the 38 at lower rpms & you've pretty much got the 35 but the 38 has a little extra if you need it. I went back & looked at the graphs on the 2 motors & it turns out he's right. It looks like the 35 develops the same hp as the 38 at about 100 rpms less than the 38 across the curve.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:48   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I just got off the phone with Joe Demers at Sound Marine Diesel & was asking him about the difference between the 35 & the 38. I thought the 35 was much torquier than the 38 but he said the difference is pretty slight. He said you can just run the 38 at lower rpms & you've pretty much got the 35 but the 38 has a little extra if you need it. I went back & looked at the graphs on the 2 motors & it turns out he's right. It looks like the 35 develops the same hp as the 38 at about 100 rpms less than the 38 across the curve.
With this mentality you will never be running the 38 at enough RPM during normal cruising if you gear it the way you are mentioning it. Now maybe these little kabotas don't care what RPM they are running at but 99% of all other diesels do. using the same reductions and using the max torque formula of MaxTorque = HP/RPM x 7221x reduction you will see the number say different. But hey, I have neared out for too long on this and made my decision, by no means is it right or any better than anyone else. just my 2cents! Cheers!

Jon
Old 05-12-2016, 12:12   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Neely View Post
With this mentality you will never be running the 38 at enough RPM during normal cruising if you gear it the way you are mentioning it. Now maybe these little kabotas don't care what RPM they are running at but 99% of all other diesels do. using the same reductions and using the max torque formula of MaxTorque = HP/RPM x 7221x reduction you will see the number say different. But hey, I have neared out for too long on this and made my decision, by no means is it right or any better than anyone else. just my 2cents! Cheers!

Jon
I think I agree with you. Joe did say they all carbon up if run too low for too long but with the ULSD it's nothing like the old diesels used to. I'm still drawn to the 35 & think that's what we'll end up with.
Old 07-12-2016, 14:20   #73

Boat: 42' Westsail, 32' Bayfield, 36' Pearson
Send a message via Skype™ to artisthos

We are putting in a Beta 38 also in a Bayfield 32'. May I ask what you paid for it? We want to get the 7° down angle transmission to have it fit into the space better.
Old 07-12-2016, 14:53   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisthos View Post
We are putting in a Beta 38 also in a Bayfield 32'. May I ask what you paid for it? We want to get the 7° down angle transmission to have it fit into the space better.
Contact Joe Demers with Sound Marine Diesel. So far he's got the best prices I've found & he's very helpful. I'd talk to him about your choice of hp. As he explained it to me overpowering is a bad idea because you never get the correct load or temperature on the motor which leads to carbon buildup.

Joe DeMers - owner

Sound Marine Diesel LLC

SoundMarineDiesel.com phone & fax (860) 666-2184
Old 28-12-2016, 06:55   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingmartin View Post
We are about to replace our old Volvo 2003T with a new engine and are torn between a Beta 38 or Yanmar 3JH5E. Reading earlier posts, there are quite a few of good things said about the Beta 38 engine, but not much either way about the Yanmar. Has anybody got any direct experience of either engine? Any advice greatly appreciated, particularly the ease of routine maintenance etc.
So what was the final outcome, Beta or Yanmar?

Tags
yanmar