Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2015, 16:17   #1

Beta 28 Alternator

Has anybody put an externally regulated alternator on the Beta 28 or similar?

I'm looking for something around 100amps, that is not Balmar.

Thanks
Tomgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 17:03   #2

Re: Beta 28 Alternator

Have you called Beta marine? There stock alternator is not a Balmar

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 03:31   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tomgan.

“We are proud to offer some Balmar alternators on our engines from Beta28 and up ...
The alternators we are currently offering on our accessory list are Balmar 60-100-SR-IG-SD/B and the 60-120-SR-IG-SD/B ...”
http://www.betamarinenc.com/index.ph...ar-alternators

http://www.betamarinenw.com/Products...toroption.html

http://betamarine.co.uk/wp-content/u...C-SOM-0714.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 10:19   #4

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

First thing you need to do is determine what type of mounting configuration you have and then find an alternator (of whatever brand) that will fit that configuration. There are many different manufacturers of suitable marine alternators.

West Marine sells Balmars but they have a reasonably good and easy to understand guide to selecting an alternator:

Selecting an Alternator | West Marine

Many companies provide select alternators for select engines. This is primarily to help owners to get one that will fit, but you can do this yourself. Also specific engines usually come with a specific wiring harness that is compatible with their alternators, but there are a huge number of different harnesses so many of these selections are designed to be plug and play with these harnesses. If you will be using an external regulator you will have to modify this any way. Also, your diesel does not have to have an alternator that is rated for gasoline engines, but you could use one of those if it otherwise meets your needs.

I found a link to Electromaxx but am not recommending it specifically. There are others, including Delco, Hitachi, Prestolite, Denso, Leece-Neville and other marine type alternators. And just because an alternator is sold as for a particular engine (like Yanmar model xyz) that does not mean it would not work on your engine. But you do need to understand how you would wire it in. I don't know if you have a need for a "tach" or "AC" output or it has to be specific to your gauges. You will have to sort that out as well - different gauge, or different sender,.... But you may not have that issue at all.

Electromaax High Output Marine Alternators
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 14:58   #5

Thanks for the replies. Beta is, of course, not forthcoming on the identification of their 100a alternator, but the 60 amp I have on is an Iskra. I believe the 100A model is IA 1069. I can't find it in the US though.

I'm trying to avoid Balmar becasue $800 for an alternator based on the Delco CS130 which sells for $125 annoys me.

There are a lot of things that will work, but the big concern is will is physically fit into the space. The one I have is squeezed into a space constricted by the heat exchanger.

I think I may have not stated my original question very well. What I was hoping for is someone that has actuallly make the mod. The PO had done it, but the alternator he used was manufactured by a company that is out of bussiness. Back to square one.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 23-11-2015, 05:39   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela

I recently took delivery of a Beta 38 from Beta North Carolina. They supplied it with an Iskra 120 amp with internal regulation and I have a "brush block" from Iskra that will allow me to change it to external regulation when I am ready. The upgrade from the stock 70 amp to the 120 amp cost me $250 and the brush block was $60. I haven't installed the engine so I can't comment on the functioning of the alternator.

I believe alternator is an Iskra type AAK.
Old 23-11-2015, 14:23   #7

Thanks Bob, that was helpfull. I think this is the 100a version, does it look like this?

Beta 38 14volt 100amp alternator (Iskra)
Old 24-11-2015, 09:02   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela

My alternator looks like the alternator shown on page 1 of the PDF link in post 3 except without the black portion on the rear. Of course Beta painted the alternator red.

I've scrapped away some of the paint on the Iskra label and could make out some of the printing on the label. The first line was "MA????SED" which may be MARINISED. The second line was ??K 4588 14 V 120 AMP.
Old 24-11-2015, 14:12   #9

Thanks Bob, The interesting thing about the photo is you can see the markings on the alternator in the photo. So the 70A version they use is letrika alternators 11.201.728 AAK4574.

The only thing I could find on the 4588 that you have is it seems to be a 70a also. I wonder if they give it some special treatment in the factory to beta's specs to marinize it and turn it into 120a?
Old 25-11-2015, 09:28   #10

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Doubt that they took a stock 70A and converted it to a 120A alternator. Can't say it might not be possible but I've never seen anyone do that. The windings and basically the guts of the unit would be all different. And factories would just order the specific unit they needed (in most cases).
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 05:57   #11

Boat: 1978 Tartan 37

Hi all, I've a beta 30 with the istka 120. How goes the search, have you found a soure for the "brush block". Looking g to put a balmar mc-614 regulator o. It... Thanks , Jim
carmer666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 14:35   #12

I ended up buying a 70 series Balmar on closeout from a supplier in New Zealand. With the exchange rate in was too good a deal to pass up; around $350 shipped to me in Fiji.

Tags
alternator