Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2015, 20:09   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 28
Beta 20 zinc and oil

I am learning so much so quick. It's great. So I found out that these engines have a zinc anode in the heat exchanger that needs to be replaced. I found a big bag of them that came with the boat. I took the old one out and it was crumbled. So I had to stick a screwdriver in there to break free the old zinc and try to pull it out with my fingers. I got the new one in finally. My question is, this has some pieces of crumbled zinc I couldn't get out. They are on the exhaust outlet side of the heat exchanger. If I run my engine will they blow out with the water or get sucked into the engine somehow. I can't destroy a $20 thousand dollar engine through ignorance.

Second. I changed the oil for the first time. It only has 12 hours on it, but the oil has been in there over a year. I figured it could use some fresh, and now I know how to change the oil. It didn't really say how much to put in, I think almost a gallon. It's almost impossible to tell from the dipstick, because it takes so many twists and turn on its way out that it's hard to read it. Especially when there is new oil that is colorless. Does anyone know how much oil the beta 20 takes? I didn't use the whole gallon. Maybe 8-9/10 of it.

Thanks.
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 20:13   #2

Re: Beta 20 zinc and oil

Heat exchangers normally have end plates that can be removed. Are the ends of yours round, with a hex head in the middle? Undo this hex head, remove the plate, and you will be able to reach the bits of zinc.

Edit : I looked at the manual. See page 41. You remove the end with 3 hex bolts. Unfortunately, it looks like you have to drain the fresh water circuit. Can't say I'm very keen on this design.

http://betamarine.co.uk/wp-content/u...C-SOM-0714.pdf
Old 08-09-2015, 20:38   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 28

Yeah, I see that now, and looking at where it is buried on the back of my engine, if I can get away with not doing that, I would prefer not too, it's buried and things have to be removed to get to it. It's a two to three hours job. Won't just b,ow them out with the water eh? I, supposed to be sailing now, and done working.
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:56   #4
Marine Service Provider

Both types of heat exchanger (single center bolt and later 3 bolt ) allow for removing the end cover without draining the coolant as long as the engine is cold.

Stanley
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:02   #5

"Won't just b,ow them out with the water eh? "

I think that's what I'd try. Last time I removed the end cover on my HX, there were about 10 years worth of little bits of zinc!

The trick is to change the zinc before it corrodes right through.

Tags
oil