Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2018, 03:37   #16

Boat: Halvorsen cruiser 30foot
Re: Best engine under $10k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Dunno about price but the Beta range of engines are hard to beat IMO. I have always had Yanmar (mostly) but I would get a new Beta in a heartbeat.

Based on Kubota industrial engines and very well thought out ancillary marine items. Parts are easy to find. And they are red .
Thanks. I've emailed them to get some pricing!
cowwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 08:23   #17

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

I converted from a Westerbeke to a Merc outboard for abo $4,000. Much quieter!!! about the same fuel burn, and parts are more available and less expensive.

This may not be appropriate for a beautiful boat - but for a working boat, it makes sense.

You will need some solar cells for additional electricity (about $500) and an instant on hot water ($200) for unlimited hot water that the Diesel used to make.

Made sense to me.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 08:56   #18
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowwee View Post
Hi guys,
We are looking at getting a new engine for our 30foot Halvorsen wooden cruiser, and we are after thoughts on the best one.
We currently have an old Yanmar, but it is getting a bit past it.
I'd like something around 40 to 50hp, has to be quiet and I'd like it to be under $10k Australian.
Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks
I work on all kinds of marine engines.

When it came time to repower my current personal vessel, it was a Yanmar.

I was ready to purchase a 3YM30 when a pristine 35 year old 3GMF popped up, and I knew who serviced it, and how it had been treated.

Fantastic engines.

Brilliant design and execution.

Strong brand, extremely reliability with just bare minimum maintenance, excellent support, dealers everywhere, huge install base, well known by every diesel service person, inexpensive, high quality OEM parts, no need to go inland to a tractor store, or buy Chinese knock-offs (sometimes a bit lower price but very sketchy construction / reliability).

Initial purchase price is sometimes a bit higher than Kubota based or other marinized industrial engines but worth every single penny and more.

Full Disclosure: I am a Yanmar dealer now, but my position on the brand was developed long, long, long before becoming one.

I still work on every brand of gas and diesel engine, but wish they were all Yanmars.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 10:04   #19

Sheen marine? As in Sheen Marine Peterborough? Run out of a home basement in east city isn't it? I know the street well.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 10:41   #20

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

My Beta 60 with some extras (hydraulic transmission, double PTO) was $11,600 Canadian in 2011, about $10K US at that time (sure as hell not anymore). A Beta 50 would allow you to run a bigger alternator if you wished. They are quiet, naturally aspirated and require the same parts as the tractor diesels they resemble...at tractor prices.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 16:10   #21

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Don't know about quite yet, I somehow doubt it, but you can always add insulation to the engine room or an additional engine box. No diesel is really quite. Anyway I just took delivery of one of these and am in the process of fitting it. Initial inspections is very favorably. They are build for commercial duty so if it says 32hp it means 24/7 365 days! ie they are built like a tank and heavy but really solid with no alloy bits to corrode. So if you want to consider a workboat engine take a look Can let you know more when I get it in and running, hopefully by end of the week or middle of next. The price is a stunner, this was $3200 including delivery to Panama.

Shijiazhuang HoufengTrading Co.,
Ltd Add:No.188 of Huailing Road, Shijiazhuang city, Hebei province, China Tel:+86311 85650302 Fax:+86 31185650302 Email: hfpower3@houfeng.net.cn Website: Shijiazhuang Houfeng Trading Co., Ltd. - Engine & Engine Parts, Diesel Generator

HF POWER 385H Marine Diesel Engine Specification
Model HF-385H Type Vertical,water-cooled,4-Stroke, Direct injection combustion chamber

No. of Cylinders 3 Bore*Stroke(mm) 85*90

Total displacement(L) 1.533

Rated Power(HP/r/min) 32/3000 Max. torque(N.m) 83.7

Alternator 14V/750W Marine gear box MA100 Reduction ratio 2:1, 2.5:1, 3:1 Transmission Hydraulic

Installation angle ≤20°

Net weight(kg) 270
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 17:58   #22

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
.... Anyway I just took delivery of one of these and am in the process of fitting it. Initial inspections is very favorably. They are build for commercial duty so if it says 32hp it means 24/7 365 days! ie they are built like a tank and heavy but really solid with no alloy bits to corrode. So if you want to consider a workboat engine take a look Can let you know more when I get it in and running, hopefully by end of the week or middle of next. The price is a stunner, this was $3200 including delivery to Panama.
Not having a go at your engine choice, and I for one will be curious to hear how it turns out, but I do remember reading a very sad thread on CF about one of these Chinese engines that had an avoidable disaster when the crankcase breather hose collapsed on the first long run. The crankcase pressurised, blew the oil out, and the engine seized. The point being, it might be worth digging out that thread and checking that your engine is not susceptible to a similar sort of problem. I think it really came down to cost cutting and using a bent rubber hose rather than a properly vulcanised elbow. Easy and cheap to address beforehand.
Old 13-08-2018, 18:41   #23
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
I work on all kinds of marine engines.

When it came time to repower my current personal vessel, it was a Yanmar.

I was ready to purchase a 3YM30 when a pristine 35 year old 3GMF popped up, and I knew who serviced it, and how it had been treated.

Fantastic engines.

Brilliant design and execution.

Strong brand, extremely reliability with just bare minimum maintenance, excellent support, dealers everywhere, huge install base, well known by every diesel service person, inexpensive, high quality OEM parts, no need to go inland to a tractor store, or buy Chinese knock-offs (sometimes a bit lower price but very sketchy construction / reliability).

Initial purchase price is sometimes a bit higher than Kubota based or other marinized industrial engines but worth every single penny and more.

Full Disclosure: I am a Yanmar dealer now, but my position on the brand was developed long, long, long before becoming one.

I still work on every brand of gas and diesel engine, but wish they were all Yanmars.
Am I understanding you properly? Yanmar spares are inexpensive?

Either you and I have a different concept of inexpensive or you can supply way cheaper Yanmar parts than any other Yanmar dealer?

Now I do like (really like) small Yanmars and thankfully they don't need parts often but in future I might need to get my parts from you if you can supply inexpensive Yanmar parts.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 18:56   #24

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Quote:
Hi guys,
We are looking at getting a new engine for our 30foot Halvorsen wooden cruiser, and we are after thoughts on the best one.
We currently have an old Yanmar, but it is getting a bit past it.
I'd like something around 40 to 50hp, has to be quiet and I'd like it to be under $10k Australian.
Any suggestions welcome.
Thanks

By far Perkins 404 c22, as it is the same engine as the Volvo 55hp uses but rebranded as Volvo. Spare parts a 2/3rds cheaper. But you need source a marine conversion kit. google search in the UK. Or ask Perkins engine suppliers.
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 23:51   #25

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Not sure that it's a Halvo. Sometimes people advertise boats that look like them as being them. The cabin is not for sure. Maybe a Halvo expert can help here.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 23:59   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklesandjesse View Post
Not sure that it's a Halvo. Sometimes people advertise boats that look like them as being them. The cabin is not for sure. Maybe a Halvo expert can help here.
Seemingly it was trashed on some rocks. The cabin was rebuilt at that time
Old 14-08-2018, 05:36   #27

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Not having a go at your engine choice, and I for one will be curious to hear how it turns out, but I do remember reading a very sad thread on CF about one of these Chinese engines that had an avoidable disaster when the crankcase breather hose collapsed on the first long run. The crankcase pressurised, blew the oil out, and the engine seized. The point being, it might be worth digging out that thread and checking that your engine is not susceptible to a similar sort of problem. I think it really came down to cost cutting and using a bent rubber hose rather than a properly vulcanised elbow. Easy and cheap to address beforehand.
No worry. I did a very careful seach before going for this. The price made me quite suspicious and I read the thread you refer to. Dealing with China suppliers does require more care but they now seem to make some excellent products if you can find them. After sales also seems much better than a few years ago. Like the Japanese manufacturers befor them they are making big efforts to get away from the idea that 'made in China' = junk. Cirtainly not found any issues with poor marinization. All hoses are top quality and well laid out. All the pipework is 316 S/S. The seawater pump and cooling components are significantly bigger clearly reflecting the higher duty cycle. There is a spares kit including a full set of filters, even a spare fan belt and spares for servicing the heat exchanger! I have seen some Ytube videos of one running from customers and they sound how you would expect. Definitly not as quite as something like a Yanmar and heavier, all rond a more 'commercial style'. That said the reason I needed a new engine rather than a rebuild is that all those lightweight alloy bits died due to electrolysis when the engine flooded. Burn holes through the gearbox, most of the controls wher toast etc. On a classic wooden boat damp engine rooms are expected and this one looks like they have thought out the marinization to minomize it. As the saying goes 'the proof of the pudding...' and I will report back when it is running.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 06:18   #28

Thanks for the comments.
I have seen pricing of yanmar, and they seem a bit too expensive for us.
We have a quote for a beta 35, and they have a special this month with 2k off. Still it is more than 2k over budget.
Waiting on a nanni quote to see what they can do.
I think we will have to up our budget a bit, but it looks like its between the beta and nanni st this stage.
Old 14-08-2018, 08:49   #29

I would really like to see a price comparison with actual #s. Yanmar, Beta, Isuzu & the Chinese engine.
Old 14-08-2018, 09:05   #30
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Am I understanding you properly? Yanmar spares are inexpensive?

Either you and I have a different concept of inexpensive or you can supply way cheaper Yanmar parts than any other Yanmar dealer?

Now I do like (really like) small Yanmars and thankfully they don't need parts often but in future I might need to get my parts from you if you can supply inexpensive Yanmar parts.
Yanmar engines and OEM parts are competitively priced compared to other marine diesels and OEM parts.

Yanmar quality is at the higher end of the scale, and you do get what you pay for.

Some may look at a Yanmar product and another brand, not see any significant difference, and tend to shop based on $/HP alone.

When I look at them (extensive electronic and electro-mechanical design, development, production, and service experience), they are worlds apart in pretty much every aspect of design, quality, durability, and reliability; both the engine and the company.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine