Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2020, 15:39   #1

Best diesel for sailboats?

Looking at buying something in the 40' range.
I see Yanmar and Volvo are common types of engines aboard?

Any preferences?

Al.
aweofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 15:41   #2

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: Best diesel for sailboats?

The best diesel is none at all:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums....php?p=3232841
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 15:55   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweofthesea View Post

Any preferences?

Al.
Those 2 have very high parts prices.
Ok if you buying new & intend to sell it before major repairs are needed.
Rather have a yanmar than a volvo.

I'd suggest a kubota base engine like the Beta otherwise just from scuttlebutt not experience. They have much cheaper parts prices & you can get parts from a tractor dealer.
Compass790 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 20:28   #4

Quote:

Any preferences?

Al.

Welcome to the machine

Without specifics of year, model, and drive type it is hard to generalize much is it is hard to generalize as to whether Ford or Chevrolet make better cars -- each has had its successes and failures over the years.

Yanmar is more common on recent sailboats (last 25 years) and perhaps offers better alternatives for low-cost parts since Yamar diesels are more widely used in non-marine applications that drive parts volumes.

Engine manufacturer would not be among the first questions I would ask when choosing a sailboat to buy.
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 00:03   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Welcome to the machine

Without specifics of year, model, and drive type it is hard to generalize much is it is hard to generalize as to whether Ford or Chevrolet make better cars -- each has had its successes and failures over the years.

Yanmar is more common on recent sailboats (last 25 years) and perhaps offers better alternatives for low-cost parts since Yamar diesels are more widely used in non-marine applications that drive parts volumes.

Engine manufacturer would not be among the first questions I would ask when choosing a sailboat to buy.

I dont know but I suspect that Jammer has some alliance to Yanmar or is trying to sell his boat with a Yanmar engine.
If he denies Yanmar parts prices are OTT I don;t know where he is coming from.

All I can do is give you some parts prices.
Yanmar YSM8 conrod $630 NZ bear in mind this is a 7hp rated engine for continuous operation. Equates to roughly $400 US.
Should be a $60 US $ item

One flanged crankshaft main bearing was about $380 US in NZ.
I got both main bearings machined for US $100 but real price might be $200.
Looked at Kubota price for a seal, was $3.50. Yanmar was $60.
but I cant provide evidence as it was a long time ago.
Suggest you start a thread for those who have changed from Yanmars or Volvos to Kubota based engines to get more current evidence.
Or look at parts prices.
Hope that helps
Compass790 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 00:25   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:

Any preferences?

Al.
The choice of engine is going to be dictated by which boat you buy. I wouldn't turn down a yacht with either, but my preference is for Volvo. My Volvo is 32 years old and I can buy spares either off the shelf from Volvo or any one of a myriad of other suppliers with genuine just none volvo badged parts. Does your car main dealer supply parts for models they sold in the 1980s?

Last winter the water pump finally drew its last breath having been rebuilt a decade ago. New one £300 from volvo and available off the shelf locally straight away. Alternative supplier but same pump, £109 via courier. Lots of choice depending on your needs which is what I want.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 02:11   #7

Boat: last boat: 2008 Dix 43 CC, steel, 43 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Andreas W

The Yanmar engines ar by far the most reliable and easy to maintain and overhaul. Product support from the manufacturer is great. They were very helpful when I wanted to add an additional Balmar marine alternator, and checked my calculations.
In my boat repair practice I had to repair lots of engines. Only very few Yanmar engines, and those had minor issues.
Old 15-09-2020, 02:32   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: bavaria 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Those 2 have very high parts prices.
Ok if you buying new & intend to sell it before major repairs are needed.
Rather have a yanmar than a volvo.

I'd suggest a kubota base engine like the Beta otherwise just from scuttlebutt not experience. They have much cheaper parts prices & you can get parts from a tractor dealer.
For example volvopenta d2-55 use perkins Diesel Engine 404D-22 company contract only volvopenta make marinization kit.

perkins Diesel Engine 404D-22( Shibaura N844L-C 4cyl 2.2L)easy last 15000-18000 hour,buletproff engine change oil and dont touch nothing. new block engine with water pump,starter,alternator is around 3500-4500$ EU
I see lot engine in Croatia be down in sea,washed and run on first.
Sea pump made in Korea 200-250€
Exhaust Elbows 250-300 €
Perkins
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 03:23   #9

Boat: Atkin Benbow Cutter 35'

Do not let the engine brand/type get in the way of finding your perfect boat.
Choose your boat based upon your intended use.
Do not buy the heavy world passage maker if your planing to mostly sail the bay.
Do not buy the boat that wins races every Sunday to sail the world.
If you plan to live aboard, pay particular attention to your current lifestyle- you will most likely want to emulate many of the conveniences (hot running water for example) that you enjoy now in your new life afloat- some will gladly be left behind, but not all. Make a list and check it twice.
If you plan to live afloat only on weekends and a couple vacation trips a year- leave as many conveniences behind as you can- you do not want to spend your time working on the boat, you want to go sailing.
Always leave 20% of the purchase price in your pocket for "improvements" after the purchase.

Good luck. Hunting for a boat is like looking for a wife: one big compromise.
Old 15-09-2020, 03:31   #10

Unfortunately there is no real small marine diesels built any longer so we're stuck with adapted industrial ones. Of the current engines available Kubota is the most easily and cheaply adapted. Interestingly one can buy a Kubota D1005 (25hp @ 3000rpm) for about $3500.00 USD while the same engine marinized costs about $12,000.00 USD. You can marinize one on your own for about an additional $4000.00, less if you know how to scrounge and do a little fabrication. It's true that Kubota tractor parts can be had for about 25% of what marine parts cost and when adapted to use a ZF keyhole pattern transmission mount a wide variety of gear options are available, something difficult if not impossible with Yanmar or Volvo.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 03:55   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas W View Post
..l. Product support from the manufacturer (Yanmar) is great. They were very helpful when I wanted to add an additional Balmar marine alternator, and checked my calculations...
Can you share your contact information with Yanmar tech support?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 04:25   #12

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

We replaced our Yanmar SB 12 with a Beta 16 two plus years ago, it is super easy to do regular preventative maintenance on, and spares are far more affordable than Yanmar or Volvo, Yanmar purposefully plays games with part number so it’s more difficult to buy via tractor parts sellers, from everything I’ve read Volvo is just plain expensive. The Beta engine runs great, sips fuel, no common rail nonsense.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 05:19   #13

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

The boat you love may not have the engine you want. We were familiar with Yanmar, but the boat we bought had a Volvo with a Perkins block. As mentioned, if you know the block used for your engine you can buy parts cheaper that are designated for the non-marine engines - filters, raw water pumps, etc. In contrast, the Volvo marine heat exchanger wholesales for $3,800 and will last about 3,000 hours; I could find no alternative sources.

It is worth checking availability of parts for whatever engine is on the boat you consider.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 05:31   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: bavaria 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickG View Post
In contrast, the Volvo marine heat exchanger wholesales for $3,800 and will last about 3,000 hours; I could find no alternative sources.

Cheers, RickG
he is made in India aluminium housing around 5000 rupia (60€) but you mast know somebody close to factory becouse is forbiden for sale. TUBE HEAT EXCHANGERS is exspensive but with lot reserve (repair possible)
In Split,Croatia i repair aluminium housing easy and cheap.Normaly also make modification cap,ridiculus expensive volvopenta cap 600€
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 09:38   #15

Thanks Rick,
another unrelated question...
We are Canadian and would like to buy a used boat in Grenada. We do not plan to bring the boat back to Canada, and will most likely leave the Carribean within a year, go through the Panama Canal and explore the south Pacific.
Would we be on the hook for any VAT or other taxes on purchase in Grenada?

Al.
aweofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, diesel, sail, sailboat