Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2018, 13:02   #16

Re: Be Wary of Stay Cool Pumps Impellers

Seeing your photo and listening to all of the responses leads me to ask a question. I have twin Yanmar 4LHA-STP engines on a 2006 Trawler Cat. The original owner bought (in 2006) a brand new water pump">raw water pump. It’s still in the box and never been used. Should I need to install it, do I trust the impeller?
vanderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 13:29   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

[QUOTE=vanderd;2791089. Should I need to install it, do I trust the impeller?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't
Old 30-12-2018, 13:54   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Be Wary of Stay Cool Pumps Impellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Had the engine been winterized? If so, what agent? Was the vane material specified?

No, I took out a perfectly good impeller to change to a new one for the cruise. Wanted to start with a new one.
Either the impeller is junk, possibly maybe old, although I did inspect it looking for soft or hard spot, fully flex the blades and look for cracks and didn’t find any.
Or as Gord posted, maybe a temp restriction. I have another, opened it’s box and it looks fine, was going to toss it, but maybe I’ll keep it.
The one I just installed came with the boat, sealed in the Yanmar bag, but the part number isn’t current, it ended with 42531, current part number is 42532.
Lord knows how old it is, could be decades.
I’m waiting in Marsh Harbor hoping I can find a new one to put in spares tomorrow, cause I would like to have a known good spare.

The stay cool impeller has a whole lot more blades than the Yanmar one, which I think maybe a Jabsco part actually?
Anybody have the Jabsco part number if it is?
Picture of the Stay Cool impeller
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0544.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	182898
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 14:00   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly View Post

You left town just in time. Your old slip ain't looking so good as of October 10th.

Frank

I know, I feel for the boat owners, it didn’t look like any survived.
Did your boat make it?
I never intended to weather anything in that Marina, they plainly and openly told people it would not survive any significant storm surge, but it was a good location otherwise.

I’ll open the heat ex later, cause you have to do a coolant flush too if you do as salt water will contaminate the coolant if you open it.
Worst case I guess is a piece of blade clogs the exhaust elbow I would think. Don’t want to have to deal with that.

If memory serves, I think my tubes are far smaller than .040, maybe .25 or so as a guess.
Old 30-12-2018, 15:06   #20

According to all these links the Jabsco P/n is 1210-0001

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Impeller-re...-/131853861858

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Impeller...H/253925294532

https://www.bosunslocker.com.au/prod...bsco-1210-0001
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 22860-technical-data-sheet.pdf (201.5 KB, 35 views)
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 15:51   #21

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

"I never intended to weather anything in that Marina, they plainly and openly told people it would not survive any significant storm surge, but it was a good location otherwise."

Michael was not a storm surge event (maybe 3 to 4 ft) for anybody West of Tyndall AFB, most of the destruction was from a Hellacious North West Wind. The yachts that escaped serious damage were few and far between.

Cbreeze was in the yard (as in boat yard not back yard), got blown off her jack stands into some soft sand and survived with some minor repairs. She is back in the water behind the house. Have a 30' Hunter sitting on my dock which is destined for the bone yard after I get her stripped (didn't need two sailboats anyway).

I think you are right, believe I used a 32 cal brush for the HE tubes. You can just turn off the sea water intake and open the engine SW drain (the metal one not the plastic coolant drains).

Watch out for those Marsh Harbor boat boys, they are tough and persistent negotiators when it comes to watching the dinghy.

How is the titanium holding out?

Frank
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 16:03   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly View Post

Watch out for those Marsh Harbor boat boys, they are tough and persistent negotiators when it comes to watching the dinghy.

How is the titanium holding out?

Frank

Boat boys haven’t been an issue yet, only had one who asked to take our trash, I paid him $2 to carry it 50 feet, but he seemed to be a nice kid.
I won’t pay to have one watch the dinghy, that is extortion, I’ll dock elsewhere or just dock later.
What has surprised me is 99% of the boats leave their dinghies in the water, and when I tied up at the free dinghy dock at the marina, I was the only dinghy with a lock.
Maybe it’s the time of the year, or maybe times have changed?

The Ti will of course be fine long after the boat and I have gone to the boneyard.
Old 30-12-2018, 19:02   #23
Marine Service Provider

a64...

What are you planning to use as a filter between the RW pump and the heat exchanger inlet? I need something like that on my NL 843 generator. She eats impellers every 600 hrs, quite reliably. The bits always get trapped in the "boot" fitting before the HE, but a filter might be more easily serviceable.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 21:54   #24

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
a64...

What are you planning to use as a filter between the RW pump and the heat exchanger inlet? I need something like that on my NL 843 generator. She eats impellers every 600 hrs, quite reliably. The bits always get trapped in the "boot" fitting before the HE, but a filter might be more easily serviceable.

Thanks
Dave
Why not just change the impeller every 550 hours and skip the filter? You say it is quite reliable up to that figure!

JIm
Old 30-12-2018, 22:30   #25

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I always replace annually. Love my Super Seal.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:26   #26

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

I replace all my jabsco pump impellers with Globe The Blue run dry impeller I purchased it from Depco Pump company in Clearwater fla. My perkins 4108 also has a Globe in the water pump !
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:01   #27
Marine Service Provider

Jim...

"Why not just change the impeller every 550 hours and skip the filter? You say it is quite reliable up to that figure!"

Well, by 600 hrs she has lost enough impeller blades that she won't pump enough water to stay cool at 90 % load. Who knows when the first blade was lost....

So even if I change at 400 or 500 hrs, I still have to disassemble the HE inlet boot to get some rubber bits out.

btw, the 600 hr figure is also specified in the service manual. I'm impressed.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:36   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
a64...

Thanks
Dave

Yes, this is a picture of my raw water pump, the discharge connects to a tube, I figure remove that hose and install a much longer hose,likely with a loop in it and a strainer in-line. If I ever lose another impeller, the bits will be in the strainer and easily removed.
My raw water goes through the oil cooler first, then into the back of the heat exchanger on the bottom, flow through, then over the top and back across to exit out of the rear.
So to clean mine, I assume first up is to remove the oil cooler, flush it, the remove the rear cap of the heat ex, clean that out, but if you do that, may as well remove the front cap and remove and clean the tube stack.
Of course this requires flushing the coolant and replacing it, cause you have opened up the interface of salt and fresh and it takes only a very small amount of salt water to ruin coolant.

Lot of work for a shredded impeller. If I had a strainer, it’s just unscrew the bowl by hand, clean it out and screw its back on.
I don’t see a downside to having a strainer myself, the pressure is almost nil, less than 10 PSI I’m sure.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0545.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	182972
Old 01-01-2019, 07:39   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnick View Post
I replace all my jabsco pump impellers with Globe The Blue run dry impeller I purchased it from Depco Pump company in Clearwater fla. My perkins 4108 also has a Globe in the water pump !

I had a Globe dry run that I took out, it was worn, had I think about 500 hours on it, but it was fine, just worn.
I think though that the dry run material is harder and wears the pump more than a rubber impeller, or seemed to anyway.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:27   #30

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

Im a Globe believer . In my Perkins , in my generator in all my water pumps in my macerator and i carry two in spares . When i cruise the engine gets hers first . I have yet to see one missing any fins !
I was down at the Island Packet plant the other day and They are still building but not as fast as before. I was down for new life lines at Seco South , right up the street !
I was Bob Johnston's Phone man on day one when he opened for business as he just came from Ted Irwins shop ,We talked boats for hours ! I would say early 80's but im old 70 and still sailing .
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump