Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2016, 08:38   #1

Bad Solenoid Wiring?

I am novice cruiser/live aboard, I am seeking the wisdom of the mechanically inclined sages of this board. I bought a Hunter 336 (built in 1995/96) the electrical/battery area was recently redone but wiring in helm station all appear to be original. The boat is equipped with a Yanmar 3GM engine that has low hours on it. So here is the problem if the boat is not on shore power the engine has problems starting. I have a portable Honda generator and can get starter battery to over 12.50 volts. Still this seems to be just short of the current needed to get the engine going, but after a night on shore power 30 amp shore power it will start. I read a bit on a Hunter site that the gauge wiring from solenoid to starter isn't heavy enough and over time will not deliver the proper charge. Just looking for confirmation if this sounds correct. Because spending weekend stuck of a private Bahama Island was an adventure but would like to have been able to leave once started getting sideway looks from the restless natives!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
vonBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:51   #2

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch
Re: Bad Solenoid Wiring?

Pretty common problem on many starters, especially GM V8s, the wiring from the starter switch to the starter solenoid is too wimpy. Upgrade the wiring or go to an auto parts store and get the aftermarket relay kit to upgrade the system.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:22   #3

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Suggest always carry a set of decent quality jumper cables.
They are handy for paralleling, etc wiring for one thing.
Old 04-06-2016, 17:37   #4

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.

My setup has the key switch to a relay (headlight type?) at the engine which THEN goes to the starter solenoid.
Suspect the battery has dropped a cell? What is battery volts after overnight resting? (no use & no input) Any sign of wet on top of the battery? Just on top of one cell?
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 15:30   #5

Boat: islandpacket

Off hand I would think a bad battery and or altinator. All night on shore line and charger ok but not when unplugged. Take the battery to a battery place and have it checked. Then go from there. A battery at 12 volts is dead

Tags
wiring