Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2013, 18:47   #46

Boat: Beneteau 323
Just for a second today we thought we might go over a dam instead of through a lock... engine stalled (oops) as we were waiting for the gates to open and the voltage in the battery was not high enough to restart ( invertor). We unplugged the offender and switched to the redundant battery.

We change our primary Racor filter monthly and are paranoid about diesel sources but this thread has me running to buy a funnel filter.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 18:49   #47
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Bad Fuel Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
For Buddha's Sake... give the ego a break... not every post is about you... that was aimed at the forum in general...

So you'll get your nose all out of joint if the board mechanism attaches a response meant for someone else to your post, but you attach a response to mine, but I'm not supposed to think it was to me. (Please not that I resisted saying "it's not all about you" when you got in such high umbrage over a misplaced response ...)

Not going to beat my head against a wall over you. I know not to follow your advice, and that's the important thing. I also know you can't bear to be wrong.

Since we're making personal observations.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 18:52   #48
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
And honestly beyond dirty fuel, I've seen two boats in a year who totally blew out their transmissions. They sailed as close as they could get into a bay, anchored, waited for flat conditions, hip tied their dinghy, and got other people in a marina or at a dock to assist.

I think it's prudent to go with one's experience. My only experience hip-towing my boat with dinghy and outboard has been in open water, and i would not want to maneuver it through the turns I would have to make to get to my slip. I would call Towboat US at that point and feel no shame about it.
Old 31-07-2013, 18:52   #49

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
All are delightful points....

But how would you get the engine running? At some point you will need it to dock. Calling sea tow is not my preferred way to make an entrance!
If your theoretical person sailed to port (easily done, as recently proved by a captainless ship making the trip without the captain), then he could throw out an anchor if he lacked the skill to dock under sail, which is something many of us have spent some time practising. Or heave to and wait for conditions his skill level could handle. Or anything other than abandon ship. The point is the reason they call them SAIL boats is because they don't need engines. They have sails.

Suppose the batteries were too dead to transmit for help, where would your fellow be? Having a Mai Tai on shore with his boat tied up to a dock.

Hard to take this challenge seriously...
Old 31-07-2013, 18:56   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I think it's prudent to go with one's experience. My only experience hip-towing my boat with dinghy and outboard has been in open water, and i would not want to maneuver it through the turns I would have to make to get to my slip. I would call Towboat US at that point and feel no shame about it.
Well for sure if you're in an area where a professional captain with a highly maneuverable boat can get you into your slip, and you have the financial means or the annual membership, go for it. If I was back in the states I've have tow insurance and for the years I sailed there I always did.

But we're talking about bunga-bunga-ville.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 19:04   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post

Hard to take this challenge seriously...
Simple solution...... Don't %#^! post to the thread. That would have more prudent than pontificating
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 19:08   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
No my dear the point is where many have no qualms calling for a tow, I prefer to work things out on my own.
Sorry but this whole "challenge" doesn't really make sense to me, just too contrived.

If, as you say, you prefer to work things out on your own, then the thing to do was to have worked things out better in advance IE have a Baja Filter, have an isolated, fully charged starting battery, keep a 5 gallon jerry jug of good fuel on board, check your tanks for water before taking off single handed on a long passage.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 19:08   #53

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Simple solution...... Don't %#^! post to the thread. That would have more prudent than pontificating
Inherent in your challenge was the idea that if one is on a sailboat and the engine won't start, it presents some kind of existential problem. If this is a learning experience for people interested in wayfaring, perhaps the lesson that should be taken away is that if you think that, buy a power boat. Sail is not for you.
Old 31-07-2013, 19:14   #54
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bad Fuel Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
So you'll get your nose all out of joint if the board mechanism attaches a response meant for someone else to your post, but you attach a response to mine, but I'm not supposed to think it was to me. (Please not that I resisted saying "it's not all about you" when you got in such high umbrage over a misplaced response ...)

Not going to beat my head against a wall over you. I know not to follow your advice, and that's the important thing. I also know you can't bear to be wrong.

Since we're making personal observations.
I really do think you should figure out how the 'quote/response' system on CF works.... your all over the shop with your posts...
this is a copy and paste of your comments to MY POST.... if its meant for someone else use their post in your quote... Sheesh... its not rocket science Teech...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61
You'd be surprised what one can do when your engine dies or a fouled prop bends your shaft... I sailed up the ICW from Beaufort NC to Oriental and into Whittaker Creek right up to Sailcraft boatyards travel lift dock with a badly bent shaft... just gotta believe in yourself... earned the nickname of 'Turnaround Phil' with that one.. LOL

Are you talking about docking under sail? Did you MISS the part where I said the lower unit on my roller furler has to be replaced? Right now it's all or nothing for my headsail. i've said this before -- it will pop out completely in 5 mph of wind. It HAS done that.

It's all or nothing for my headsail right now. Thanks, but I've helped some of the best sail their boats in, and they play that headsail like a violin.

When you ignore a person's legitimate reasons to not do something, you can't expect them to take your advice seriously. I know a number of very good sailors who all have said the same thing to me -- "No, don't try to sail that boat in -- not with that furler." That was after they encouraged me to do it, but before I explained about my roller furler.

It would have been great to hear "Why do you think you shouldn't do that?"

It's also why I've been at the dock this summer. We've had lots of storms. My boat sails like ship under headsail only, and double that in bad weather, but it's all or nothing for the headsail.

Yes, it's going to be fixed, but unexpected other expenses, along with what turned out in the end to be a broken bone in my foot, has temporarily sidelined me.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 19:21   #55
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Well for sure if you're in an area where a professional captain with a highly maneuverable boat can get you into your slip, and you have the financial means or the annual membership, go for it. If I was back in the states I've have tow insurance and for the years I sailed there I always did.

But we're talking about bunga-bunga-ville.

I think I have enough sense to not be trying to live on and sail my boat in bunga-bunga-ville. I don't have the skills and experience for it. I most certainly wouldn't be doing it with a badly designed roller furler.

I am going to learn to dock the boat *some place* safely under sail when the roller furler problem is solved, but there are limits to starting to learn to sail when you're 62. One of them is that you probably won't get to live the wayfarer's life at bunga-bunga-ville.

So i'll take what I can get.
Old 31-07-2013, 19:22   #56
cruiser

Quote:

Nah. I think it's fair to call it as kind of a silly challenge.
Old 31-07-2013, 19:23   #57
cruiser

Oh my gracious you're still all in a flap!
Old 31-07-2013, 19:36   #58

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

--->hands ice cream to everybody...need to lower the temperature in this thread by a few degrees! Don't get too excited!

Mauritz
Choc Choc Chip ice cream...don't interrupt me while I'm eating!
Old 31-07-2013, 19:46   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Choc Choc Chip ice cream...
What a terrible thing to do to chocolate and to ice cream. Give me my chocolate pure and unadulterated and my ice cream with some real vanilla bean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 19:52   #60

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

---> Sending a gallon of hand made vanilla ice cream to Skip! Bon Apetit!

Mauritz
Choc choc chip ice cream, thank you!