Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2021, 11:26   #46

Boat: Hake 32RK
Re: Auto Diesel engine into boat?

I replaced a ( perfectly good) yanmar 30hp diesel with 3 phase PMAC 20kW electric motor and controller, 230 AH of AGM firefly batteries and a 4kw diesel genset.
I now have a generator aboard for all electrics plus unlimited electric range and when the wind is blowing regen charging. All in the same space as the yanmar diesel and most of the time all I hear when motoring ( really motoring with a motor) is wind and water!
Mauruuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:32   #47

Boat: C&C 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauruuru View Post
I replaced a ( perfectly good) yanmar 30hp diesel with 3 phase PMAC 20kW electric motor and controller, 230 AH of AGM firefly batteries and a 4kw diesel genset.
I now have a generator aboard for all electrics plus unlimited electric range and when the wind is blowing regen charging. All in the same space as the yanmar diesel and most of the time all I hear when motoring ( really motoring with a motor) is wind and water!

OP here, I think I've decided to go electric as well. I've noticed quite a bit of variance with electric builds in terms of noise that it makes. Is your boat shaft driven? What did you do to keep it so quiet?
Emoyeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:43   #48

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
So you now have a 23 or so HP motor which will run a couple of hours (if that) on batteries plus about 5 hp of genset replacing a "perfectly good" diesel which would continue to run until the diesel tank was empty, maybe a day or two depending on the tank size.

Good luck with that mate.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:50   #49

Quote:
Hmmm, so a hybrid drive scheme, but seemingly largely unbalanced as to load compatibility.

20kW motor being supplied by a 4kW diesel genny set.

So basically to derive "unlimited range" only by yielding a trolling motor output for a yacht. Or am I missing something completely here?
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:23   #50

Boat: C&C 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Hmmm, so a hybrid drive scheme, but seemingly largely unbalanced as to load compatibility.

20kW motor being supplied by a 4kW diesel genny set.

So basically to derive "unlimited range" only by yielding a trolling motor output for a yacht. Or am I missing something completely here?

I don't think there is one formula that works for everyone. So I'm not trying to say electric is "better", but what is missing from your assessment is
- diesels (or electric motors) are rarely run at full blast
- sails are the primary mode of power on our boats
- electric motor offers other benefits like increased reliability, regeneration under sail, lack of smell, lack of noise, etc.

For some, this will enhance their sailing experience, for others, the negatives of electric will outweigh benefits.
Emoyeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 08:49   #51

We have 2.2L Toyota diesel which was completely rebuild and marinized in our sail boat which is 42'' self-build Endurance and it got new ZF clutch too. Previous boat had Perkins 4.108 with Velvet drive. We have a lot free time during the winter in Finland to spend on the workshop Unfortunately don't have any pictures of the engine at hand right now...
Finn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 11:43   #52

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn77 View Post
We have 2.2L Toyota diesel which was completely rebuild and marinized in our sail boat which is 42'' self-build Endurance and it got new ZF clutch too. Previous boat had Perkins 4.108 with Velvet drive. We have a lot free time during the winter in Finland to spend on the workshop Unfortunately don't have any pictures of the engine at hand right now...
2.2L Diesel Toyota is a great motor. Light and quiet but fuel efficient too. Last forever in a boat. Lasts pretty much forever in a car or truck.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 11:55   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
2.2L Diesel Toyota is a great motor. Light and quiet but fuel efficient too. Last forever in a boat. Lasts pretty much forever in a car or truck.
That’s the exact reason it was chosen. It’’s pretty much bullet proof as long as there’s oil in it and spare parts are available globally. If you want robust/dependable/fixable look at what people use in remote areas and in “3rd world countries”
Finn77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, diesel, engine