Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2019, 05:11   #1

Boat: Pearson 30
Atomic 4 no RWC flow out of pump!

OK, I've got an RWC Oberdorfer N202M in my 1972 A4, it was working fine. After running for about 90 mins I shut her down, then about 1hr later started it up and without any warning signs, zero flow. I pulled the pump cover and the impeller looked OK. I put a new one in anyway, still no water leaving the pump. Inlet flow (raw water) to pump is fine. With the cover off I bumped the engine and the impeller and shaft don't rotate! Removed the entire pump and see pin has sheared. What are the odds a new pin will solve my problems? And where can i purchase a pin? I can't locate one?

My real concern is what could have caused this? Is it possible it's just 47+ years of heat/cool cycles? It's not a solid pin (rolled-hollow) and did seem to have been putting some wear on the shaft slot as if it was too short, one end was partially worn down. Also, where did the pieces that sheared off go and do I need to be worried about them entering the oil flow at some point or worse - contact with moving internal parts. Should I just pop in a new pin and see what happens?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190916_060547.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	200004  
Jaa5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 06:08   #2

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: Atomic 4 no RWC flow out of pump!

You don't say where you are but roll pins are available in most quality hardware stores. I don't know if the manufacturers used standard pins or custom ones but getting the proper length might be an issue. I don't know anything about the oil paths in an atomic 4 to say anything about where the parts of the old one ended up.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 05:00   #3

Boat: 1984 Jeanneau Attalia

Moyer Marine is the place to go for all info regarding the Atomic 4.....they have a great website and forum as well!
quiesence65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 08:54   #4

Boat: Pearson 30

Yes, I'm aware, thanks. Posted same question there couple days ago, no response!
Jaa5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump