Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2020, 11:36   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Aspen Alkylate Fuel for Outboard

Has anybody tried this stuff?

https://www.aspenfuels.com/knowledge...kylate-petrol/

https://www.aspenfuels.com/

Made in Sweden out of gaseous refinery products. No ethanol in it and the Swedes claim it lasts for 3 to 5 years without deterioration, has no affinity to water, and burns cleaner.

I bought a can of it to use in my outboard which was taken out last year by bad fuel. It runs good on it.

It's pretty expensive -- I paid 188DKK for 5 liters, about Ä25 or Ä5 per liter -- about 6x as expensive as regular pump petrol/gasoline. So I doubt I will run it all the time. But might be just the thing to run a tank of that through before I know the motor will be laid up for a while.

Anyone have any experience?

Old 10-05-2020, 21:14   #2

Boat: Albin Vega 27"
Re: Aspen Alkylate Fuel for Outboard

My son is a gardener at a church they use this fuel to everything from trimmers and lawnmowers there hasn't been any problems with the fuel. He has used it for years.

I think most professional workers use this because they stand in the fumes for longer periods of time. Maybe they have to use also because it is somewhat better to the environment (at least whit small engines whiteout catalyser).

You will do fine whit that fuel ,but the wallet will be lighter and that is good you probably gain a knot or two in speed

Jonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 01:27   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Yes, the other reason claimed by the maker is that the fumes are less harmful than from petrol/gasoline. I don't know why that would be the case, but if it's true, or even if it stinks less, then that's a good thing too. But the main thing is it is not supposed to decompose and gum up the fuel system like ethanolized petrol. That's why I'm trying it.

Is this just a Scandinavian thing? I see that it's offered for sale in the UK (at double the price of here in Denmark), and in Canada, but I never heard about it before until I saw it in the auto parts shop where I went to by carburetor cleaner.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:46   #4

Boat: Albin Vega 27"

I don't now if it's a Scandinavian thing. Never thought about it in that way. It's been around for some years now and l think it's popular fuel to use. But l think it's good people buy it even if it cost more than regular petrol.
Jonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:28   #5

Boat: Irwin 52

we have some fuel like that here in the US they sell in home depot by the quart, ridiculous price, if you can get non ethanol fuel and empty carb before putting motor away, we never had any problems for 40 years putting motor away for the winter. I think propane is probably the best bet, clean and no problems. ethanol gas is the problem, not reg gas.
jharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:45   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding View Post
we have some fuel like that here in the US they sell in home depot by the quart, ridiculous price, if you can get non ethanol fuel and empty carb before putting motor away, we never had any problems for 40 years putting motor away for the winter. I think propane is probably the best bet, clean and no problems. ethanol gas is the problem, not reg gas.

I see I'm behind the times. So-called "canned fuel" -- TruFuel, and others. It's been around for a while, I just never heard of it.

The problem here is that we just can't get non-ethanol petrol.

I will switch to normal petrol when the season gets going but back again to this towards the end. I found a place (BauHaus) where I can get this for Ä20 for 5 liters, which is Ä4 per liter, which is less than 3x what we used to pay for petrol here. Not that bad.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:04   #7

100 LL (low lead) aviation gasoline has a long shelf/storage life : I expect that itís available at general aviation airports in Europe as well as here in the U.S.
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:13   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman1 View Post
100 LL (low lead) aviation gasoline has a long shelf/storage life : I expect that itís available at general aviation airports in Europe as well as here in the U.S.

That was actually my plan "A"! But would they even sell it to me?

Avgas is Ä2 per liter without VAT at CPH. With VAT, that would be Ä2.50. And the time it would take to get there and talk them into selling it? Ä4 for "canned fuel" starts to sound pretty good.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:28   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That was actually my plan "A"! But would they even sell it to me?

Avgas is Ä2 per liter without VAT at CPH. With VAT, that would be Ä2.50. And the time it would take to get there and talk them into selling it? Ä4 for "canned fuel" starts to sound pretty good.
In the US at least they are not supposed to, itís illegal to do so.
Actually in the US Avgas is illegal because the law that outlawed leaded fuel did so for all fuel, the forgot obviously about Avgas, but itís still technically illegal.
It also seems to act as if it were an oxygen bearing fuel, meaning that if you run it, you need slightly larger jets to do so, or it will run lean, I know as I have run it in race bikes before, but went back to unleaded Sunoco race gas as it was better.
https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/fuels/compare-fuels
That is another option, but it ainít cheap either.
Iíve run Avgas in my little bicycle that I motorized as I carried it in the airplane, and it did fine, but if you burn leaded fuel you ought to change oil more frequently as it does contaminate the oil, and it can lead foul spark plugs too.

My Suzuki being fuel injected doesnít seem to care and even put away for the season it makes no difference, I theorize without any proof thatís because the fuel system is sealed, no contact with air, so it doesnít evaporate and gum up things, but thatís just my theory.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:50   #10

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

I use a synthetic fuel for my little Honda outboard. Not sure if it the same stuff but it is amazing. Engine starts with first pull (as long as I open up the fuel cutoff). In addition fuel does not seem to go bad. Only downside is the cost but compared to the frustrations with OB not starting, I will pay it. Of course OB engine dealers will sell it but cheapest is at Home Depot in the garden section. They usually have a deal or discount if you buy a certain number of bottles.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:39   #11

Boat: Irwin 52

we used to pull up to small airports with our high compression harleys and pump AV gas same as another fuel station, they were happy to sell us fuel, That was in NY state and Texas.
jharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:00   #12

Boat: Outremer 50S

Interesting, our local tool rental place swears by Stihl MotoMix, claim it has greatly reduced run problems with their rental 2-cycle gear. The flyer at the store describes it as an alkylate petroleum fuel. Runs about USD5/quart/liter.

SDS for both Aspen and Stihl say the majority component is naphtha.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:12   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Interesting, our local tool rental place swears by Stihl MotoMix, claim it has greatly reduced run problems with their rental 2-cycle gear. The flyer at the store describes it as an alkylate petroleum fuel. Runs about USD5/quart/liter.

SDS for both Aspen and Stihl say the majority component is naphtha.
I don't use so much dinghy fuel, that I wouldn't consider paying roughly 3x for this, if it really so much reduces problems.

Naphtha is an alkylate. It presently costs $335 per tonne according to Trading Economics, so what 30 cents a liter? Guess they're getting some markup on that canned fuel!
Old 11-05-2020, 13:48   #14

These are generally called "engineered fuels". I use it every fall to winterize both my 2 and 4 cycle engines. Its the last fuel my carbs see for the year. They have a long shelf life and do not eat up fuel lines, very important for 2 cycle trimmers and chain saws. Start great in the spring. I've had some engines go for 3 years stored on this fuel with no starting problems.
martin sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 15:18   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

What A64pilot said re running avgas. Had to put colder platinum plug in & richen up when used in dirt bike back in the day. Gave problems with lead??? whiskers on plug otherwise.
Can't you just run carby dry & drain tank for storage?

Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, outboard