Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2021, 10:19   #16

Boat: Colegate 26
Re: Are ignition keys pointless in the cockpit?

My boat has no switching mechanism, keyed or otherwise. My wife was a little weirded out by it. I want to minimize the amount of failure points in the path of starting the engines. Success!

Who's going to try to steal a slow moving sailboat anyway?
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 11:00   #17

Most engine manufacturers build engines for vehicles so an ignition key is required. Most boatbuilders just get on and fit what they are supplied. Therefore we all get stuck with keys and it is only a small proportion of us to whom it actually occurs to solve the problem as almost everyone on this thread has done. Maybe a few letters to the magazines would gradually result in more buyers demanding keyless fitouts.

PS my boat was fitted with a key but below decks. It does have an off pull switch in the cockpit
olivert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 11:14   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

I have a 2015 Jeanneau and there is no ignition key . I iam worried about someone stealing the boat I swithc the starter battery to off. If they do steal better I have insurance and 7 knotts wiyh a limited range i am sure the athoriries will find them soon.
Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 11:17   #19

Most of the airplanes I’ve flown don’t have keys.

In one particularly expensive (and sensitive) jet, we would pull circuit breakers to make theft of the airplane far more difficult.

This is all assuming the thieves even knew how to start it xD
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 11:25   #20

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

No key in the cockpit? Excellent idea.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 11:27   #21

Boat: Cabo Rico 42/Catalina 30

I keep my ignition key hanging on the handle of the engine raw water through hull. When I want to start the engine I retrieve the key and while I'm at it, it might be a good idea to open the through hull. This is an "old guy" trick. Since I'm not getting any younger I think I will keep the keyed ignition switch.
Cabo Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 11:27   #22

Do many aircraft get stolen?
olivert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 11:29   #23

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Put a dummy starter button on the console and a functioning one under the console out of sight. The same thing with gas, a simple ignition, no key, switch
and the same setup with starter buttons.
I keeps the honest thieves at bay.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 11:35   #24

I’d rather have my boat easy to start, in case something should happen while we’re ashore. I worry much more about dragging anchor, someone fouling my anchor, or someone dragging down on our boat. Can’t really see someone stealing our boat, but could see where it might be nice to have it so someone could start the boat to maneuver it out of trouble.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 11:43   #25

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

In the early days with Carina I made the mistake of leaving the key in the ignition while sailing, and broke it off flush. I was able to recover but the lesson was learned: no more keys in the cockpit. My solution was to buy a Caterpillar start switch (GLOW-ON-START) which worked well for decades until one day the spring didn't return the switch from the START position and the starter motor burned up. The old rubber and salt had stuck the switch. Note to self: clean and lubricate switch regularly. I also have an ON-OFF switch inside, under the bridge deck, which can be reached from the outside.

The new Volvo has a small control box with push-button start/stop, which would seem to be a good solution for the cockpit. It isn't. Leakage into the control box has been associated with the failing black box (MDI) problem on the newer engines. So the control box is going beside the ON-OFF switch under the bridge deck.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 12:16   #26

Did you know that TRANSIT buses, the buses that move all all those citizens in cities all over in the USA generally do not have a start key. Or at least that was the standard in 2001. My other vessel is an RV based on a short 30 foot Gillig transit bus. Probably so many start-up interlocks that a key is not required.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 12:52   #27

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

FYI
I have a pilot house and my engine panel and the only key are at the lower helm. When I purchased it in 2000, the insurance company demanded that I install another key at the upper helm.
Like you, I don't use it or even keep the key in it, mostly because it is in the way of getting kicked, dropped etc Which I repowered I ditched it comoletetly.
Ho Hum Russ
Old 17-07-2021, 13:38   #28

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectPirate View Post
Am I the only one, or one of very few, who think that it is pointless to have an engine ignition key in the cockpit of a sailboat? . . . Does this idea make sense to other people or is it just my personal bugaboo?
Just your personal bugaboo. We have an ignition key for our sailboat and it presents no problem with catching lines, being kicked, broken off or anything else. As they say in real estate, it is LOCATION - LOCATION - LOCATION. Our panel is not just above the cockpit floor (Who thought that location up?) but on the coming just awartships of the wheel. All the gauges can be easily seen, the key is well away from everything. (Assuming we did not just remove it and put it back below.) I know some people think it is a good idea for any stranger to be able to start a boat engine in case of an emergency, but I prefer not having to wonder who has take my boat out for a joyride between visits. . .
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 13:45   #29

Boat: Alajuela 33

My instrument panel is located on the bridge deck below the traveler. It has what is normally the interior side of a portlight mounted around it such that the key and instruments are protected and waterproofed behind it. The kill knob is the only part external to it.
The fully visible panel is protected from errant lines, feet, loose gear as well as inclement weather and being pooped.
japawil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 15:08   #30

Boat: SS34

Of course it's not really an ignition key but a simple switch that supplies power to the starter button. My boat did have a key at the quarter berth but now it's been replaced with a simple industrial type switch. Keys are unnecessary and just rust up or break off!
Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit