Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2013, 15:18   #1

Boat: CT-41
Anyone have knowledge or experience with Volvo MD21A or MD21B to share?

The title says it all! Looking for sailors who have, had, or know about Volvo MD 21A or B and would like to share information or answer questions.

thanks
Vino the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 16:27   #2

Re: Anyone have knowledge or experience with Volvo MD21A or MD21B to share?

G'day,
The Md 21 would have to one of the best engines to come out of that stable it is a Peugeot diesel as used in the 505 series. Engine based spare parts are much cheaper if bought through a Peugeot spares outlet, all other marinized parts are of VP quality and COST.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 22:21   #3

Shakey Doug,

I have been told by a marine diesel mechanic and the parts guy at a Volvo Penta dealer that it is a Perkins with Volvo marine kit. Would like to know how to verify what it actually is.

Also have some questions about glow plug resistor and other parts interchange that would work other than Volvo Penta parts.

Would like information from someone who knows and has actually done work on one.

thanks
Steve
Old 27-04-2013, 02:04   #4

g'day Steve,
When ever we get a MD21 in the shop we order peugeot parts to fix the problem never ever seen a perkins emblem on them.
s
Old 27-04-2013, 03:42   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

MD 21 Parts ➥ Exploded views / schematics and spare parts for Volvo Penta MD21B, MD21 - MarinePartsEurope.com - MarinePartsEurope.com

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 09:30   #6

Gord, thanks for the link. I already got that one from you in a different thread I started looking for parts access information and it is very useful. Appears to be exactly what the local VolvoPenta dealer here uses when he quotes me exorbitant prices and that most of what I am looking for is no longer available.

Since you were the only one who answered that thread, I started this one to try to find sailors with actual hands-on experience.

Shakey Doug, thanks for joining in on this thread. I am surprised how few have experience with these motors. Wonder if there is a relationship between Perkins and Peugeot. Very few Peugeots in the US and I have heard the Perkins story from several who at least appear to be creditable. Can't know for sure without personally comparing the parts though. Seems you have done that, so can you tell me what kind of shop you have or work in and what Peugeot parts you found interchangeable?

Just to let you guys know what I am doing, I got a CT-41 about 3 months ago and doing a refit. It has a rebuilt MD21A in it that was installed about 10 years ago, then never left the dock and the owner died. I have had it running, but not going to leave it going until I deal with 10 year old fuel, redo the wiring which was supposedly according to Volvo schematic, but did not work right. Glow plug wired up to starter, indicator lamps wired to panel lamps, broken glow plug resistor, changed out alternator, and a audible warning device hanging there with wires disconnected. I know enough about diesel engines to make it work, but going by the book does NOT make it work, Volvo parts ridiculously expensive and many not available at all with parts guy giving no alternative. (Sorry, can't buy the original equipment glow plug relay, so gotta change out the motor! - Oh no? How about a 1950's Ford truck starter solenoid? Good luck with that?)

Personally glad the motor is a Perkins or Peugeot because I have confidence in them. No confidence in Volvo parts guys or $100 per hour certified mechanics.
Old 27-04-2013, 09:34   #7

Shakey;
Where you from in OZ?
I used to live in Alice. Still have friends in Melbourne and Adelaide to visit, but got to get the boat ready first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aleutia on duty.jpg
Views:	1097
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	60004  
Old 29-04-2013, 20:34   #8

G,day
I'am in Hobart southern Tasmania ,own and manage a diesel repair w/ shop. I have been backing out in recent times leaving things to my sons.Your old dog looks a Qld blue healer thats been in a good paddock.Not to many boats of any type around Alice, past through there last year on way to Darwin for a Fishing trip.
Old 29-04-2013, 21:48   #9

Shakey,

Dog is an Australian Shepard. You don't have them in Australia, tell me how that works! A pure American breed, cross between a Queensland Blue and a Border Collie. Yanks bred them to take some of the dingo-aggressiveness out of the Heeler without losing their intelligence, so bred them with Border Collies. Damn smart dogs. This one is a certified Search & Rescue dog also trained to load on running Air Force helicopters.

Your qualifications are up there, so I can't dispute. Just have to learn how to figure the specs between countries so I can get parts when I need them.

Can I ask you a question from time to time?
Old 02-06-2013, 05:43   #10

I own a 1980 Volvo Penta MD21B. Great engine. Impossible to get replacement parts. Experienced same issues as others here mostly having to do with the ease at which the aluminum parts will corrode if not watched carefully. I, myself, am trying to find a replacement harmonic dampener, and wouldn't mind knowing others who have the engine and/or know where to get parts for it.
StephenSarasota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:24   #11

Stephen,
Shakey Doug. (previous post), diesel mechanic from Tazzie, says they are a Peugeot 500 series engine and parts for Peugeot are easier to find and much cheaper. I found another thread at overhaul of a volvo penta md21 - SailboatOwners.com
where Paul claims it is a Peugeot 504.

Both these guys have rebuilt them with Peugeot parts, so that is where I would (will) look before paying Volvo inflated prices for proprietary versions of inexpensive, simple stuff like their $80 fuse block which is nothing more than 4- 15 amp fuses on a common bus sealed in plastic.

There is no doubt some stuff that is better from Volvo?? and some that has to be Volvo OEM, but I don't know what that might be yet.

Would love to see others who have rebuilt MD-21A/B share their experience.
Old 20-06-2013, 13:40   #12

Hi folks,
The MB21A and MD21B use the Indenor XDP4/90 base engine.
Indenor stands for 'Industrie du Nord Est' which later became part of Peugeot.
The engine was to be found in Peugeot 504s, Citroen J7 vans, Opel Blitzs, Ford (UK) Granadas and a few others besides. It is still (or at least was last time I checked) used in the Mahindra Jeep from India where it is still in production.

In addition to the Volvo Penta marinisation the same base engine was used by Vetus (Netherlands) in their P4-21 and by Lehman as the 4D61. Also lots can be found in the Netherlands just branded 'Indenor bootsmotor' and painted bright red.

Only Volvo to my knowledge went to the lengths of replacing the standard timing chain with timing gears though.

My own is 30 years old and still going strong.
The circulation pump is showing first signs of a problem but there's a company in the UK that will rebuild it for a reasonable price.

I've learned a fair bit about these engines so any questions just ask.
Steve
Steve928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 00:22   #13

Steve,

Great information for all us MD21 owners.
Can you add parts sources?
Also to give people confidence in your info, can you give us your credentials/experience and where you got the info?

Between you, Shakey, and Gord, we should have a much better understanding on our options to keep these beasts purring.

thanks
Steve VR
SV Mystique, CT-41
Old 21-06-2013, 01:15   #14

Steve,
My experience comes from 10+ years as an owner of an MD21B - as to credentials, I guess I don't have any!

The XDP4/90 or XDP4.90 derivation is well known here in the UK as I guess it was a much more common engine in its automotive form in Europe. For maintaining the non-Volvo bits I use the Peugeot 504 2.1D workshop manual published by Haynes and can confirm the 2112cc base engine is identical.
They were said to be 'good for 300,000 miles in taxis' so the only real problem should be maintaining the salty bits.

As to parts sources, it's always a challenge..
- there is a regular supply of head/sump/rocker cover gaskets, bearing shells, piston rings, glowplugs and even the occasional set of pistons and liners on Ebay. An inclusive search on 'XDP4/90' or '2112cc' will bring up a good few pages to browse through.

- Marinepartseurope is great for exploded diagrams and lists of which parts are still supposed to be available, at a price.
Volvo Penta MD21B, AQD21B - MarinePartsEurope.com

- raw water pumps are available new from a few sources e.g. Marine Products - Raw Water Circulation Pumps for Volvo Penta Boat Engines item JOH10-32058-1

- circulation pumps can be rebuilt by SP Water Pumps at SP Water Pumps - Marine engine water pumps for all makes and models They will also supply a new one for c. £400.

To the earlier poster who needs a harmonic damper I do have a spare new one here, but I think there were 3 types according to the transmission fitted. If you let me know the part no. you require then I can check.

If I think of anything else I'll post again.
Cheers.
Steve928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 02:52   #15

Steve,

I don't know how much I can share with you academically as the engine we own and currently installed in a Rassy 352 is coming out and being replaced this next week July 2013). We didn't use the engine much and such problems we had were related to gunge in the fuel tanks. Our remedy for this was to fit a suplimentary electrical pump to assist the mechanical one. The old engine/parts etc and all documentation/manuals are available. Should anybody need bits from a functioning engine or have need of a gasket set please let me know
Maxiyot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
volvo