Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2015, 01:20   #1

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425
Any new engines turn the Volvo way?

Several years back I invested in a flex-o-fold 2 blade prop, for my volvo MD17C
36hp. I like the difference in Sailing with the folding so I was hoping maybe some non volvo turns the wrong way. Forlorn Hope?

If not anyone with the above Volvo want to make me an offt for a folding prophttp://www.cruisersforum.com/images/smilies/whistling.gif
Old 10-01-2015, 05:25   #2

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Any new engines turn the Volvo way?

Not sure from your post if you want to use the flex-o-fold prop, or sell it, but I'm pretty sure you can change the rotation of the gear at the gearbox.

This is a page from the Volvo workshop manual for a DP290, but both the MS2 and the MSB gears use the same configuration of cone clutches.

Someone who knows absolutely might chime in, or a call to any good VP dealer will confirm it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	g1.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	95261  
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:04   #3

Boat: Sabre 28

You can get transmissions that are built to run full time in "reverse" to keep your prop rotation the same with a replacement engine that spins the opposite direction. My Sabre has an offset prop so I had to look into this when considering replacement engines. Beta has a transmission to do this and VF makes one as well. There are likely others as well.

What are the specs on your prop? I assume it will be to big for a MD7A.

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:40   #4

Sorry about the incoherence of my first post.

I have been seriously considering repowering. The Volvo has so far refused to quit but when I have had to replace bits the costs quoted by volvo have been eye watering.

So I started to read the forums and most people seem to go with Beta or Yanmar.

I wrote to Beta and this is the reply I got.
Good morning Steve,

The Flexofold propeller that you have won't work on any new engine so don’t worry about the pitch. The new engines have completely different characteristics to the old ones and in addition, the old Volvo needed a left hand propeller for fwd and the new engines call for a right hand propeller for fwd.

Here on the east coast we give 15% discount off list price of the engine plus any additional items but I cannot quote for an engine going to WA or to BC.
I suggest that you contact Ethan who is the west coast distributor. He is based in Sausalito and his email is info@betamarinewest.com
If you are staying in BC, contact Ben Gartside who is the Canadian distributor. His email is gartsidemarine@shaw.ca
Gartside Marine is in Sidney, BC.

If you go with the Beta 30 with 2.5:1 transmission ratio, my propeller calculator calls for a 17"x11" three blade RH propeller and estimates a max boat speed under power of 7.25 knots. Flexofold make a good 3 blade folding prop that also has good reverse. You will not get the same performance with a 2 blade prop.

Have fun,
Stanley
Beta Marine US Ltd

I have started a multi year cruise and so the extra .5 to 1.0 knot of sailing speed makes a huge difference. Also the Beta 30 seems a little small compared to what I have now.

Did not mention about a transmission that will allow me to keep the prop. But a new folding one is expensive. Just a plug for the Flex o fold. It is simple strong and works. The difference in winds under 15 knots is remarkable.

Anyway I will contact them again and ask the direct question. about gearbox options.

Steve
Old 11-01-2015, 03:49   #5

Repower is expensive and takes a while... haul out, maybe new engine stringers, engine mounts (come with the engine), alignment of the shaft of course, cutlass bearing.. engine controls and instrument panel.. YIKES. But yea Volvo parts and therefore service are very spendy. I have an MD17D which is 29ys old going on 30 and it works quite well but I try to do the maintenance projects myself. Replaced the (expensive) mounts last year in the water and re aligned the shaft... something that I never thought I could do. I had one expensive mechanic performed job which cost a small fortune to re do the head... valves, injectors and all. I am hoping to not have to repower... and for now so far so good. But it's a noisy engine...and because of the prop spin I come along side on starboard whenever I possibly can.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 03:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Repower is expensive and takes a while... haul out, maybe new engine stringers, engine mounts (come with the engine), alignment of the shaft of course, cutlass bearing.. engine controls and instrument panel.. YIKES. But yea Volvo parts and therefore service are very spendy. I have an MD17D which is 29ys old going on 30 and it works quite well but I try to do the maintenance projects myself. Replaced the (expensive) mounts last year in the water and re aligned the shaft... something that I never thought I could do. I had one expensive mechanic performed job which cost a small fortune to re do the head... valves, injectors and all. I am hoping to not have to repower... and for now so far so good. But it's a noisy engine...and because of the prop spin I come along side on starboard whenever I possibly can.
Same for me docking.

Yes noisy and mine is looking its age. When I start up I try to get away quick before i leave a slick. A volvo mechanic told me not to worry they all do that!!!

I am away from my boat at the moment but you say your model is the 17d. What is difference to a 17C?
Old 11-01-2015, 09:29   #7

Not an expert.... mine came with a fresh water cooling kit... I've added a high output alternator.
My rings are so so... and this means when she's cold she smokes until she warms to operating temp... and the smoke stops... and there is some oil or diesel in the exhaust not much. I think it's the rings too. Other than that the engine is fine and I wouldn't change it... '
If I were to go offshore I'd get the Volvo mechanic I buy parts from to do a complete inspection, renew all hoses, etc... maybe a valve adjustment whatever he feels needs to be done.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:47   #8

Boat: Saare 41cc

Several years ago I replaced my Volvo 2003 with a Yanmar 3JH4 and had the same dilemma. After several false starts I eventually had to accept that the old prop couldn't be used. The only thing I could do was get Flexofold to reblade it. This cost about 3/4 of the price of a new prop but was at least something. You can respec the blades as well. I used propking which is an excel spreadsheet alienboats.free.fr/download/Propking.xls. to check the spec on the new blades.

In the end I was glad I had done my own calcs because there was a disparity between the recommendation from the UK agent and the manufacturer and I was able to take an informed decision.
Derek Lumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:01   #9

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I don't know if it would fit but the Borg warner CR2 is a velvet drive that runs in either direction and available in several reduction ratios. They were designed for twin engine application where the same engine is used but the direction of turn needs to be opposite.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:39   #10

Boat: Sabre 28

The Beta transmission that can run in either direction full time (with an oil cooler attached) is the TMC-60. It is rated for 60hp in 2:1 ratio. They also have a 2.45:1 ratio but I don't know what the HP is on that setup.

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, volvo